Dulux spurs "jokes"

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

we threw away a 2 goal lead at Chelsea and came 2nd to fucking Leicester.
We came third.

But every team came [insert league table position here] to Leiciester.

Perennial trophy winners Man Utd and Liverpool came 5th and 8th to Leicester.

I understand the sentiment behind the rest of your post, but the Leicester thing doesn't cut it for me. The only thing that I take from that season is that everyone else being so shit at the same time will never happen again, and that was the best chance we had. It doesn't make us any more or less losers than usual though, just because Leicester did it that particular year.

We came third.

I understand the sentiment behind the rest of your post, but the Leicester thing doesn't cut it for me. The only thing that I take from that season is that everyone else being so shit at the same time will never happen again, and that was the best chance we had. It doesn't make us any more or less losers than usual though, just because Leicester did it that particular year.
Great post

Well yeah. We would have had a naming rights partner if they did.

There is a reason why, in the biggest, most-watched league on planet earth only TWO football clubs in the entire League have Stadium naming rights partners that are not associated companies owned by the owner of the Club, they are fucking hard deals to get over the line, especially in a country where they aren't commonplace.

If it was so easy, why haven't Utd, the most whored out club on the planet got one? LFC too, both of these teams have secured deals for their training grounds.
In my view that's because it only really works if it is a new stadium. Everyone knows anfield would still be anfield and ditto for old trafford so the naming rights are worth less.

We came third.

You make some fair points, but I've noticed a trend that the same people who often claim that we can't win titles because we lack the resources of the Cities, United's and Chelsea's are often want to make excuses for the Leicester season, the fact is, that was our golden opportunity, we had a better team and squad than them that season and we blew it in Spursy fashion.

In my view that's because it only really works if it is a new stadium. Everyone knows anfield would still be anfield and ditto for old trafford so the naming rights are worth less.
Probably right there mate but I genuinely haven't a clue, it's an alien concept for me to get my head around. On the face of it, it just seems like pissing money up the wall.

Aldi have been tweeting today, trolling M&S over their decision to sue Aldi over their copy of Colin the caterpillar 🤣

They managed to reference the Dulux thing too...

Worth reading Aldi’s tweets today. They’re gold!

The fact is and its a bitter pill to swallow. When the likes of Roy Keane is on Sky Sports giving it large about us always folding, lads its Tottenham and all that he is bang on, and that's what hurts the most -if you let it.

You keep referring to the Poch years but we bottled every big match under him, we lost semi finals, finals, we threw away a 2 goal lead at Chelsea and came 2nd to fucking Leicester.

We always fluff our lines, we are mentality weak as fuck. And I don't see it ever changing.

So you got two choices, denial, which seems to be your go to. Or acceptance that we are Spursy and embracing the meme which is the option I'm going to go with.

Because life is too short to let this shower ruin your weekends, I actually pissed myself laughing at the Deluxe thing, the club and players 100% deserve it this season.
I don't see it as either of these options. In all of those games, you mention we were beaten by the best side i the country at the time (or they were the perhaps 2nd best with some major advantages going in their favour.

Chavs won the league, so were good but also had no European football to contend with so was a major advantage to them. In the Semi-Final they also had all the luck go their way with long-range worldies and they dived for a pen (the same player did exactly the same thing in the Final and got a 2nd yellow and was sent off and they lost as a consequence!)

Leicester won whilst also not being in Europe, they were knocked out of every cup comp early too, plus lets be honest the decisions that went their way were more than a tad fortunate. They don't have to navigate a bitter rival doing all they can to stop them either, we have THREE! I loved that season I thought we were fucking fantastic.

I've already given my views of CL above, but the journey to the final is probably my most memorable moments I've ever had as a Spurs fan, (I've seen us win FA Cups, League Cups, UEFA Cup, well I was locked outside the stadium) I'll cherish those games, there are different contexts to them, different moments in my life all great but all different experiences for different reasons.

The only game I went into with an elevated expectation was FA semi vs Man U, I thought we were miles better than them but on the day that wasn't the case.

I love competing at the pointy end of the season, I think we have to be playing well (playing good intelligent, attacking football) to have us arrive at the end of the season with a shot at something. I do think we deserve some luck with who we get drawn against, whilst we are up against some very good sides (City, Man U, Chavs etc) and it is likely that a final you will have to beat one of them, I look at what these teams have also had when they won their FA Cups relegated Villa, relegated Watford, a shitty Woolwich, a mid-table Liverpool, A relegated Sunderland, Stoke. These are all of City's Cup wins just as an example.

But but but but but....

The clubs that have a stadium naming rights deal are the clubs with new stadiums that cost less than ours to build.
The others, like Liverpol, Chelsea, United, Everton have had their stadiums built and paid for for decades.
The ones with a name, Woolwich, Leicester, Man City, all have (fairly) new stadiums. Same applies across Europe really. Bayern have the Alianz Arena because it's a new stadium.

I'm sure most of us would actually prefer that we stuck with White Hart Lane forever. But we all know to compete at the top table, we need money, and we need to negate the finance on the stadium so as far as I'm concerned, all Levy has done to date, is screw us. In pursuit of the best deal he's got no deal at all. That's poor. He couldn't have forseen the pandemic but it's completely ruined his plan to get the best deal in Europe. I can't see anyone ever comitting to that kind of money ever again.
Please read what I posted. I said there are only TWO stadiums that have naming rights that are NOT tied in with the ownership of the club, Woolwich and Brighton. Although I freely admit I don't get what's going on at Brighton, it's now called Falmers, when it was called Amex but saw somewhere Falmer has something to do with Amex!!??!

It's also worth noting that there was consensus that Woolwich massively undersold the value of the naming rights deal, there's a really boring article or two that goes into great length about it. But also worth noting that we've overtaken them commercially, and they have a deal in place. I think he knows what he's doing, there is a bigger picture at play here.

The others you mention are all named after a company associated with the ownership, it's not a standalone deal, money is simply moved around for account purposes and as a way to negate FFP (which is now fucked).

You still haven't listed the deals that he turned down.

Our commercial revenues grew the largest of any club on a % basis last accounting period, I wonder how this was achieved? Hardly screwing us. Again, stadium naming rights is what every club in the country would no doubt love to achieve but for a variety of reasons, only TWO have them in place.

Where we've been fucked by him is his recruitment of Jose.

Please read what I posted. I said there are only TWO stadiums that have naming rights that are NOT tied in with the ownership of the club, Woolwich and Brighton. Although I freely admit I don't get what's going on at Brighton, it's now called Falmers, when it was called Amex but saw somewhere Falmer has something to do with Amex!!??!

It's also worth noting that there was consensus that Woolwich massively undersold the value of the naming rights deal, there's a really boring article or two that goes into great length about it. But also worth noting that we've overtaken them commercially, and they have a deal in place. I think he knows what he's doing, there is a bigger picture at play here.

The others you mention are all named after a company associated with the ownership, it's not a standalone deal, money is simply moved around for account purposes and as a way to negate FFP (which is now fucked).

You still haven't listed the deals that he turned down.

Our commercial revenues grew the largest of any club on a % basis last accounting period, I wonder how this was achieved? Hardly screwing us. Again, stadium naming rights is what every club in the country would no doubt love to achieve but for a variety of reasons, only TWO have them in place.

Where we've been fucked by him is his recruitment of Jose.
The man City one is bent as a 9 Bob note. They sponsor themselves eleventy billion to cheat FFP. Lost as to how Emirates are linked to Woolwich's ownership? Brighton aren't owned by Amex or Falmers whatever that is?
City aside, pretty much anyone that spent hundreds of millions on a new stadium have a sponsor that effectively pays the rent for them.
West Ham don't because they're squating there.

The man City one is bent as a 9 Bob note. They sponsor themselves eleventy billion to cheat FFP. Lost as to how Emirates are linked to Woolwich's ownership? Brighton aren't owned by Amex or Falmers whatever that is?
City aside, pretty much anyone that spent hundreds of millions on a new stadium have a sponsor that effectively pays the rent for them.
West Ham don't because they're squating there.
Mate, please read my posts:

You are claiming the complete opposite to what I have communicated.

Back
Top Bottom