El curioso caso de Erik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that Lamela is just another one of those players that divide fans - which in its turn polarize every opinion on him. He's either shit or the opposite every game. Most of the time he is just okay though. I feel like he's done enough to be in our starting XI at the moment but that doesn't mean I don't expect more from him.

It's perfectly fine to say Lamela has been okay and at the same time demand more. I will say this though, if he'd add the odd goal to his game he wouldn't be scrutinized to this level. Look at how Eriksen's goals make us forgive some less than stellar stretches of form.
Hello nail-head, this is the hammer

The game he put in against the Woolwich was the best all season. He was a key reason why we won that.
I thought he put in a great shift but the guy one seat away from me was on his back all game, and I couldn't help remonstrating with him - everyone's entitled to their opinion after all, but he was totally WRONG.

This feels like the thread relating to Kane, earlier in the season. How wrong some of you were. We have a very good player in Lamela and as with Kane, he just needs that something to happens to turn his fortune. Maybe a new position or a winner tomorrow.

The game he put in against the Woolwich was the best all season. He was a key reason why we won that.
Wasn't it another case of 'he put a shift in' and tried hard though? He was good as part of the overall unit but £30m worth?

Ok, agree the price tag isn't his fault but, that's what we invested in him. Separate point but when the hell have we ever had £30m to spend on a finished product let alone a prospect with far more question marks over him than obvious attributes.

Ok it's his first season in effect but we've seen enough to know....

Strength - limited
Pace - ok but not much above average
Height - above average but not an aerial threat
Passing - moments of class but dwells on the ball or misses early passes constantly
Shooting - ok, some promise, poor conversion rate I bet
Set pieces - average (how much adjusting to the league/country do they require?)
Attitude and effort - very good (but so would mine be)
Goals - a couple, an amazing one included

He is 21 not 19, I think Ronaldo was way ahead of him even then. That's not saying he's expected to reach that level of world's best or even world class but, mentioning him as a benchmark he's miles off his course if he was even to get to 75% as good.

I'm afraid he was a huge gamble and would've been a huge gamble even if he'd been half as good again already - the price tag and decision to sign him for that is baffling and somebody has to be accountable surely? Especially if they sanctioned Soldado and Paulinho as well!! Soldado situation is an unlucky and jinxed one but it's £73m worth (if full fees payable) which we're getting £15m worth out of so far in nearly 2years!!!

It will feel terrible if we lose tomorrow at Wembley, but I dont think it will be doomsday.

I actually dont think our league form will reflect any kind of great, heroic victory should we pull it off. Quite the opposite. The norm for Spurs is not to follow a great scalp with a run of wins.

Didnt we lose to Hull a few days after beating Milan away..?

We dont thrive well on the wave of exstacy. A loss tomorrow might actually do us more favours in the long run, although Id happily take the cup and finish 8th.
Different teams, different era's, different players.
We are here because of the contributions of Poch, assistant coaches, players and backroom people.
Lets back them and not worry about previous form and what if.
There is no norm in sport if you think that then you live in the past!

Different teams, different era's, different players.
We are here because of the contributions of Poch, assistant coaches, players and backroom people.
Lets back them and not worry about previous form and what if.
There is no norm in sport if you think that then you live in the past!

Errm...how did we follow up the Chelsea and Woolwich games this very season again......?

Wasn't it another case of 'he put a shift in' and tried hard though? He was good as part of the overall unit but £30m worth?

Ok, agree the price tag isn't his fault but, that's what we invested in him. Separate point but when the hell have we ever had £30m to spend on a finished product let alone a prospect with far more question marks over him than obvious attributes.

Ok it's his first season in effect but we've seen enough to know....

Strength - limited
Pace - ok but not much above average
Height - above average but not an aerial threat
Passing - moments of class but dwells on the ball or misses early passes constantly
Shooting - ok, some promise, poor conversion rate I bet
Set pieces - average (how much adjusting to the league/country do they require?)
Attitude and effort - very good (but so would mine be)
Goals - a couple, an amazing one included

He is 21 not 19, I think Ronaldo was way ahead of him even then. That's not saying he's expected to reach that level of world's best or even world class but, mentioning him as a benchmark he's miles off his course if he was even to get to 75% as good.

I'm afraid he was a huge gamble and would've been a huge gamble even if he'd been half as good again already - the price tag and decision to sign him for that is baffling and somebody has to be accountable surely? Especially if they sanctioned Soldado and Paulinho as well!! Soldado situation is an unlucky and jinxed one but it's £73m worth (if full fees payable) which we're getting £15m worth out of so far in nearly 2years!!!
We invested 16M in Bent and hes better than twice as good?

forget the price tag, look at thd player. We havd a good young player. Possibly good enough ti build a team around him. Thats how high I rate him. Time will tell?
Ronaldo had the benifit of playing in an established side. Lamela jusf needs to sort out his decision making and all will be good.

Last edited:
We have a very good player in Lamela and as with Kane, he just needs that something to happens to turn his fortune.

The major difference being that that "something" was simply being picked in Kane´s case.
Lamela has been picked, and to be honest, looks no better than the few appearances he made last season. He is not improving.

Kane looked good when he broke through last winter under Sherwood. One year on, he is already twice the player.

Lamela thinks he´s better than he is. Massive problem.

Ronaldo made his team debut as a 60th-minute substitute in a 4–0 home victory over Bolton Wanderers,[46] and produced a performance hailed by Alex Ferguson as "marvellous".[47][48] His early form earned high praise from United legend George Best, who said that Ronaldo was "special",[39] while former manager Ron Atkinson effused about his "his pace and quick thinking" and how it meant United could "spring very quickly from defence into attack".[49]
He scored his first goal for Manchester United with a free kick in a 3–0 win over Portsmouth on 1 November 2003.[50] His only other league goals in the season all came in 2004; he scored the second in a 3–0 win against Tottenham Hotspur on 20 March,[51] the equalising goal in a 2–1 victory away to Birmingham City on 10 April,[52] and the opener in a 2–0 victory over Aston Villa on the final day of the season in a game in which he also received his first red card.[53] Ronaldo also scored in the fifth round of the 2003–04 FA Cup in a 4–2 Manchester derby against Manchester City.[54] Ronaldo ended his first season in English football by scoring the opening goal in United's 3–0 FA Cup Final victory over Millwall,[55] with his performance receiving praise from Gary Neville who said "I think Ronaldo can be one of the top footballers in the world".

Sorry, but why are people bringing up Ronaldo´s first season with regards to Lamela?

Ronaldo made his team debut as a 60th-minute substitute in a 4–0 home victory over Bolton Wanderers,[46] and produced a performance hailed by Alex Ferguson as "marvellous".[47][48] His early form earned high praise from United legend George Best, who said that Ronaldo was "special",[39] while former manager Ron Atkinson effused about his "his pace and quick thinking" and how it meant United could "spring very quickly from defence into attack".[49]
He scored his first goal for Manchester United with a free kick in a 3–0 win over Portsmouth on 1 November 2003.[50] His only other league goals in the season all came in 2004; he scored the second in a 3–0 win against Tottenham Hotspur on 20 March,[51] the equalising goal in a 2–1 victory away to Birmingham City on 10 April,[52] and the opener in a 2–0 victory over Aston Villa on the final day of the season in a game in which he also received his first red card.[53] Ronaldo also scored in the fifth round of the 2003–04 FA Cup in a 4–2 Manchester derby against Manchester City.[54] Ronaldo ended his first season in English football by scoring the opening goal in United's 3–0 FA Cup Final victory over Millwall,[55] with his performance receiving praise from Gary Neville who said "I think Ronaldo can be one of the top footballers in the world".

Sorry, but why are people bringing up Ronaldo´s first season with regards to Lamela?
For me Sammy it was more regarding his physique. He looks a bit lightweight for the prem in my opinion and I remember Ronaldo in his first season constantly going to ground. Season 2 and he had really beefed up. Lamela could do with a bit of that and maybe he could hold people off of the ball better.

Every time I see Lamela run with the ball I remember this

phoebe-running-friends-o.gif

I suggest Poch put him in a position where he does one-touch passes only and not be forced to run with the ball .. he looks so uncomfortable dribbling the ball and it doesn't look easy on the eye either.

Also, putting him wide is not working obviously.... When Poch wants to put him in he needs to find a way to mae it work with him and Eriksen on the field....

In the summer, swallow your pride Levy and sell him, then let Baldini go since he screwed ou big time for the sake of his former club..

:cool:

I agree, when dribbling he looks very uncomfortable. It's like he has no plan in his head and is just hoping something will happen. He never runs into space, he runs into a block of players all the time.

His one touch and link up play can be very good, when he releases the ball early, but he very rarely does.
I just don't think it's gonna happen for him at spurs. I see why we would want to give him another season due to his price tag, but personally I would cut my losses if I was levy,
and try and get a good deal to get him back to italy. Then send baldini back on the same plane. .....2 easyjet tickets...speedyboarding not included.

The major difference being that that "something" was simply being picked in Kane´s case.
Lamela has been picked, and to be honest, looks no better than the few appearances he made last season. He is not improving.

Kane looked good when he broke through last winter under Sherwood. One year on, he is already twice the player.

Lamela thinks he´s better than he is. Massive problem
And you know this because you are the forums resident psychologist yes?[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom