England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Decent Article

England’s ‘fresh cycle’ already feels a little stale…

It’s been a week short of two months since England lost to Croatia in the World Cup semi-final – an achievement that will become less and less believable and more and more denigrated over the next two years – and yet the first post-tournament squad was met with groans and a growing sense of dread that we have already ‘enjoyed’ this century’s golden era and it was marked by some tremendous set-pieces, little creativity and a large slab of luck.

Gareth Southgate has talked about a ‘fresh cycle’ and yet the names on the list are all-too familiar. If this is a ‘fresh cycle’ then why are we not seeing a single uncapped outfield player? If three players have effectively been relegated, why has there not been a single promotion? How can Fabian Delph merit a call-up after not a single minute of football this season? How could Adam Lallana’s three minutes for Liverpool possibly earn him a recall? Are we the only nation in world football who would react to the loss of two attacking players with a call-up for a fourth goalkeeper, creating the absurd situation where we literally have more keepers than strikers?

There are small crumbs of comfort – Jake Livermore’s England career may finally be over – but Southgate’s determination to start the new season with the same players has made this international break an underwhelming non-event. Barring the deserved recall for Luke Shaw, this feels like a squad that Southgate picked at the end of July, with little or no regard for form or fitness. To name a squad without the top English goalscorers, chance creators and dribblers of the season feels almost wilfully obdurate. Especially when you lose two attacking players from the squad to leave you with just 18 outfielders, only three of which are strikers and only one of whom is first choice for his club. None of them are in any kind of form.

The remaining strikers – Marcus Rashford and Danny Welbeck – have each scored three Premier League goals in the whole of 2018. They are barely-played, non-scoring strikers. That is not to say that Southgate should abandon his principles and call up either Glenn Murray or Troy Deeney (dismissed this week with a deft “Troy is a player who really suits the way that Watford play”), but at this stage, with the pool so worryingly shallow, ignoring Callum Wilson just seems unnecessarily cruel. “He’s certainly one we have to keep monitoring,” said Southgate. But what more do they need to monitor? He has scored twice as many goals as either Rashford or Welbeck this year and – most importantly – he is actually playing football. Reading that Dominic Solanke is ‘making up the numbers’ at a threadbare England training session must hurt.

The same could be said for Watford’s Will Hughes, but of course England are awash with similar “clever players who can see the spaces” (description courtesy of Javi Gracia). If ever a player was designed to replace Lallana, it surely should be Hughes. Hint: If Gary Rowett tells anybody that he is ‘not his kind of player’, he is probably exactly what England need. The Hornets midfielder was namechecked along with Ross Barkley and Nat Chalobah by Southgate this week, but you know what’s better than a namecheck for a genuinely in-form English player? A call-up, that’s what.

This is not about blindly promoting youth – the non-playing Phil Foden should no more be involved than the non-playing Delph – as Southgate has struck that balance better than most, almost to a fault. But there should surely be some reward for starting the season at a canter for an excellent team. Calling up players from eight of the Premier League’s top ten teams but leaving out Watford and Bournemouth sends the wrong message both to the players and those of us who wanted to actually see something fresh in this ‘fresh cycle’.

England's 'fresh cycle' already feels a little stale... - Football365

England U19s. 4-1 Netherlands U19s. Goals - Loader x2, Foden + Gomes.

Team - Bursik (Stoke) , Sessegnon (Fulham), Eyoma (Spurs), Panzo (Monaco), Vokins (S'hampton) - Kirby (Crystal Palace), Gomes (United), Gibbs-White (Wolves), Foden (City), Sancho (Dortmund) - Loader (Reading),

Good to have the E u21 coach support ?

James Maddison 'not ready for England call-up', says coach Aidy Boothroyd

"I don't think he is ready for the senior team yet," Boothroyd told Sky Sports. "But he certainly has got a lot of qualities.

"He is very creative and he's done really, really well for us.

“He's a late developer, if you look at his pathway he's played in Scotland, League Two, League One, the Championship and now the Premier League.

"He's done the steps and got the games under his belt. He is on our radar in the U21s and he's on the seniors' radar."

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...james-maddison-england-leicester-city-1969768

I think that's fair enough what Boothroyd is saying. The way I understand it, is that he's now made it to a Premier League side, and has the chance to prove that he can deliver on that stage. Once he's consistently putting in solid performances at that level, we can start thinking about him for the senior side.

England's striker options behind God are miserable.

Which is why I don't understand why Southgate didn't include another striker in the squad - for example he's name checked Callum Wilison who I think is a decent punt to try - as with Rashford having only scored a handful of goals in 2018, now that Vardy has retired there is nobody other than Kane who is a goalscoring striker.

Madness not to experiment.

I think that's fair enough what Boothroyd is saying. The way I understand it, is that he's now made it to a Premier League side, and has the chance to prove that he can deliver on that stage. Once he's consistently putting in solid performances at that level, we can start thinking about him for the senior side.

yup I get that.

Southgate's actually trying to tread a narrow line - he's discarded Vardy (whose goalscoring ability he's not been able to replace) and not called upon older players who have experience but for one reason or other (often injuries) have never quite fulfilled their potential with England such as Daniel Studrridge, Theo Walcott (if fit) et al , and probably rightly so.

But England squad is now very thin after Sterling and Lallana withdrew, so if he's not going to go back to the Sturridge generation he should either be thinking of the likes of Callum Wilson, now aged about 26 who has missed a couple of seasons through injury but has now played quite a few games and is now fit or to go with picking 'the younger generation'. Before the World Cup he tried Tammy Abraham and Dominic Solanke who both showed they were not ready, so I'm slightly surprised he's not prepared to try Maddison.

just looks strange that he must recognise that the England squad need more bodies, but he's not trying any of the potential solutions.

DmbWVHsX0AAO46A.jpg

Subs :
Tom Davies for Josh Onomah (65 mins)
Dominic Solanke for James Maddison (76 mins)
Tammy Abraham for Dominic Calvin-Lewin (76 mins)

0-0 result

Onomah and Cook as CM's

With Shaw injured, Chilwell could be viewed as a straight forward replacement.

Gray I guess could be called a replacement for Sterling. Most fans seemed to think Maddison (also Leicester would have been called up instead or in addition.

England 'B' v Switzerland 1-0 (Rashford)

Butland
Walker, Tarkowski, Maguire
Dier,
Alexander- Arnold, Delph, Loftus Cheek, Rose
Welbeck, Rashford​

Subs :
Lingard for Loftus-Cheek, 61 mins
Stones for Tarkowski, 61 mins
Kane for Welbeck, 61 mins
Henderson for Delph, 68 mins
Trippier for Alexander-Arnold, 78 mins
Chilwell for Rose, 79 mins

Unused Subs : Pickford, McCarthy, Bettinelli, Gomez, Gray
Injured since Call up : Shaw, Dele, Lallana, Sterling

17 players used. Strange why Southgate called up Gray (other than he plays for Leicester City where the match was played) having seen him for E u21's. I assume he didn't like what he saw close up, so won't be called up for England again for a while ?

Roll on the next England squad in October, maybe with a few more changes

Southgate gets to pick another England squad on Thursday.

This was his last squad, and he added Chilwell and Gray (possibly because the England friendly was played at Leicesrter) and a 4th goalkeeper. ....and Southgate's reply is to call up Marcus Bettinelli, Fulham goalkeeper to have a 4th GK, Marcus Bettlinelli

GK
Jordan Pickford (Everton),
Jack Butland (Stoke City),
Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

CB
Joe Gomez (Liverpool)
Harry Maguire (Leicester City),
John Stones (Manchester City),
James Tarkowski (Burnley),

FB
Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool),
Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur),
Luke Shaw (Manchester United),
Kyle Walker (Manchester City), (also CB)
Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur),

CM
Fabian Delph (Manchester City),
Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur),
Jordan Henderson (Liverpool),
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea),

AM
Dele (Tottenham Hotspur),
Adam Lallana (Liverpool),
Jesse Lingard (Manchester United)
Raheem Sterling (Manchester City),

Striker
Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
Marcus Rashford (Manchester United),,
Danny Welbeck (Woolwich).

I'm guessing he'll only change about 3 or 4 players from the squad, obviously a couple will change due to injury like Dele.

Strikers

It may be going backwards in time a bit but Daniel Sturridge has 4 goals for the season and when fit would be a decent alternative to Harry.

The only other striker I can think of is Callum Wilson whose style of play would definitely suit England with hios hold up play, even if he isn't that prolific (but he has 2 goals this season, Harry has 5 so its not bad, just not great).

The likes of Tammy Abrahams looked great at youth level but I think Chelsea screwed up his development by not either playing him in the first team (Chelsea never do) or loaning him out early enough, and he's not looked that good on loan,. so despite his pre WC outing I can't see him being considered again.

So for me I'd like to see Danny Welbeck dropped (he's not looked good for about 5 years) and both Sturridge and Wilson brought into the fold

Midfield

Dele is out through injury and I think England need to build up a pool of goalscoring AM's to call on.

James Maddison has to be the preferred candidate surely - scored 3 goals so far this season.

And is it too early for Jadon Sancho ?

Lewis Cook I've always liked - could do a Carrick type role in my opinion, but seems not to be an automatic starter fir Bournemouth at the moment - on the other hand Loftus Cheek has yet to appear for Chelsea so I can't see him in future England squads without playing for his club even if Southgate picks him this time.

Ross Barkley appears to be playing for Chelsea in Loftus-Cheek place, so is he worth another look. But hardly seemed to impress when on England bench before his bad injury, but that's 2 years ago now.,
I'm not sure if Southgate should pick Winks to play him for 45 minutes as he probably needs match time : risk of course is Southgate over-plays him.

For me, Foden is too young to be in the England squad, he'd be better off in the u21's or u20's this season. But its opinions of course.

Back
Top Bottom