EPL clubs meeting today - 'The New Deal For Football'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Airfixx

"I want to be the sadness of my opponents" - Venom
The agenda:
  • No more FA Cup replays.
  • Teams in Europe will either not compete in the League Cup or field u21 teams.
  • Parachute payments will be greatly reduced.
  • Extra funding will go to the EFL however this will be paid on a sliding scale so more money goes to those at the top of the Championship than those at the bottom.
  • Tighter spending restrictions on PL clubs, similar to UEFA's new version of FFP where by clubs have to reach a certain breakeven threshold but also cannot spend more than x% of turnover on wages and transfer fees. PL will push for EFL to introduce the same.
  • The PL would provide infrastructure grants to the EFL - money towards stadium improvements etc.

Most EFL clubs run on a loss and aren't profitable at all. Wonder how spending restrictions would effect those clubs.

The agenda:
  • Extra funding will go to the EFL however this will be paid on a sliding scale so more money goes to those at the top of the Championship than those at the bottom.
  • Tighter spending restrictions on PL clubs, similar to UEFA's new version of FFP where by clubs have to reach a certain breakeven threshold but also cannot spend more than x% of turnover on wages and transfer fees. PL will push for EFL to introduce the same.
  • The PL would provide infrastructure grants to the EFL - money towards stadium improvements etc.
  • Not a fan, like replays better than straight to penalties. And having a 120 minute match followed by penalties midweek is probably harder on players than 2 midweeks back to back.
  • Good, a secondary domestic cup has always been stupid.
  • Of course they want to.
  • So...parachute payments are back on? I guess at least they have to earn them.
  • Only interested now because they're afraid of the Saudis.
  • Probably entirely necessary.
On the whole, probably a good set of reforms. As listed on paper, devil is always in the details and it's probably going to fuck over the EFL somehow.

I'd hate to see FA cup replays go. It's amazing that small clubs could earn a draw at a big club and then get a massive payday at their own stadium. Also small clubs can earn a trip to a Premier league team which is a massive boost for them. We're only talking a handful of games

The League cup is a joke. It's a no-brainer that European clubs should be exempt. The whole competition was invented just to extract more money for fans, so matches should be minimised. No double legs, no replays.

I agree parachute payments can probably be worked to stop clubs just yo-yoing up and down. But if we say Premier league teams going down are too rich for the Championship, how can teams going up compete financially if they know they need to be financially stable in the Championship if they go down again?

I'd hate to see FA cup replays go. It's amazing that small clubs could earn a draw at a big club and then get a massive payday at their own stadium. Also small clubs can earn a trip to a Premier league team which is a massive boost for them. We're only talking a handful of games

The League cup is a joke. It's a no-brainer that European clubs should be exempt. The whole competition was invented just to extract more money for fans, so matches should be minimised. No double legs, no replays.

I agree parachute payments can probably be worked to stop clubs just yo-yoing up and down. But if we say Premier league teams going down are too rich for the Championship, how can teams going up compete financially if they know they need to be financially stable in the Championship if they go down again?

FA Cup replays should go (just add to congestion and disapointnent) but maybe they move to home ties for all non-PL teams up to the last 8, to equalise it a bit.

Not being in the carrot cake cup means nothing to us as we don't win it anyway.

In fact why are we actually entering anything???

FA Cup replays should go (just add to congestion and disapointnent) but maybe they move to home ties for all non-PL teams up to the last 8, to equalise it a bit.

.....A lot of the small teams would actually prefer a big money away game at Old, Trafford, Anfield, WHL etc.

Not being in the carrot cake cup means nothing to us as we don't win it anyway.

In fact why are we actually entering anything???
Congestion doesn't make sense, we're talking 3-5 games maximum extra? Maybe do away with replays in quarters and semis.

.....A lot of the small teams would actually prefer a big money away game at Old, Trafford, Anfield, WHL etc.

It’s a no win in some ways.

Used to play vets football with a couple of the guys who played for stevenage against Newcastle.

They loved the fact they held them to a draw at home then had a replay at their place. Huge moment on their lives.

It’s a no win in some ways.

Used to play vets football with a couple of the guys who played for stevenage against Newcastle.

They loved the fact they held them to a draw at home then had a replay at their place. Huge moment on their lives.

Well that's the perfect scenario innit, but if an away tie exceeds the annual revenue of your entire club then the men with the actual votes (the club owners) will vote for that every time ...... and you can't blame them.

Well that's the perfect scenario innit, but if an away tie exceeds the annual revenue of your entire club then the men with the actual votes (the club owners) will vote for that every time ...... and you can't blame them.

Yeah it just spoils the whole “magic of the cup” thing doesn’t it.
Ronnie radford (who died recently) being the ultimate example.

All about the ££££s.

Then next step the ESL

Have you asked all the small teams?
I think there's a precedent already for this.

Take for example if Northampton gets drawn vs Utd with Northampton at home.

It used to be the case that Northampton would ask for the tie to be switched to Old Trafford.
They would still be classed as the "home" team and therefore were entitled to all revenue from ticket sales.

The FA then changed the rules so that the smaller team could not switch venues.
This was because giant killing was becoming a thing of the past.

Airfixx Airfixx
  • Pains me but probably the right decision away side should get a larger slice of the ties revenue.
  • This is a no brainer should of been done years ago. In fact if it was up to me I'd get rid of the league Cup to allow room for FA Cup replays
  • If its connected to more money going to EFL then ok
  • As it should be
  • As it should be
  • No body gave tottenham grants why should we be giving the EFL money to build thier grounds. If Aston Villa went down should we be subsiding there ground improvements

Airfixx Airfixx
  • Pains me but probably the right decision away side should get a larger slice of the ties revenue.
  • This is a no brainer should of been done years ago. In fact if it was up to me I'd get rid of the league Cup to allow room for FA Cup replays
  • If its connected to more money going to EFL then ok
  • As it should be
  • As it should be
  • No body gave tottenham grants why should we be giving the EFL money to build thier grounds. If Aston Villa went down should we be subsiding there ground improvements

I think a lot of the financial re-jigging being discussed depends on the devil in the detail....... Does the benefits of that being added exceed that of what is being taken away...... And for whom?

...Afterall we're talking about EPL chairmen discussing/voting upon things where the concerns of the EFL pyramid are secondary at best.

As for the LCup/European thing..... It's a rapid slope towards demeaning the competition......What value a domestic cup where the best players are disqualified from competing? In terms of the U21s thing..... Isn't there typically complaint about big clubs not respecting the cup for the aforementioned reasons as it is?.

On the local news last night, a lower league manager (sorry, can't recall the club now!) outright said "I'd rather be focused on our league game at the weekend" when questioned about that night's LCup tie......... If that's the prevalent attitude lower down the pyramid and the big teams operate with a similar thinking in mind (albeit for 1st world reasons) then really; what's the point(*)?

(*Caveat being; I welcome the chance to compete on 4 fronts...... Yes, we've had fucked up calendars for a number of years now, but most of that has been due to Covid, the Queen & this fucked up WC.)

The agenda:
Maybe an obvious thing that I'm not seeing, but what's the rationale behind this? Doesn't it create inequalities in the EFL such that, non-promoted teams that finish higher up in the final standings receive more money, giving them an advantage over the teams below them for the following season, particularly those just promoted from League One?

I assume the EFL already rewards a higher finish, so an even distribution of EPL funds seems more equitable to me.

Maybe an obvious thing that I'm not seeing, but what's the rationale behind this? Doesn't it create inequalities in the EFL such that, non-promoted teams that finish higher up in the final standings receive more money, giving them an advantage over the teams below them for the following season, particularly those just promoted from League One?

I assume the EFL already rewards a higher finish, so an even distribution of EPL funds seems more equitable to me.

I can't provide more flesh to those bullet points, but I'd assume that the pot of money for the EFL to distribute would be increased and subsequently distributed according to the already existing % basis......... Just a bigger pot and no parachute payments.

Either way, any such scenario would neglect the whole reason behind the implementation of PPs to start with....... i.e. Relegation putting clubs on the brink of bankruptcy thanks to being immediately strangled by an EPL-level wage-bill.

......One would require so much more detail, if one were to start proposing plausible remedies ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom