EPL clubs meeting today - 'The New Deal For Football'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe an obvious thing that I'm not seeing, but what's the rationale behind this? Doesn't it create inequalities in the EFL such that, non-promoted teams that finish higher up in the final standings receive more money, giving them an advantage over the teams below them for the following season, particularly those just promoted from League One?

I assume the EFL already rewards a higher finish, so an even distribution of EPL funds seems more equitable to me.
Yes, it makes it harder to move up and harder to move down. From a business standpoint, I can see owners liking this. It’s trading some potential gain for a lower risk. No one wants to deal with the loss of almost getting promoted and then being relegated the following season.

From a competition standpoint, it’s concerning.

Using American sports as a comparison because of the different structures of each sport, baseball is the most similar to European football due to no payroll caps and a huge variation in team salaries. And baseball is really struggling… for several reasons but one being that fans are sick of the lack of parity. You have single players on rich teams that make what an entire poorer team makes.

Basketball has a soft salary cap which means teams over it have to pay taxes. Basketball is doing very well and is even talking about going to a hard cap to help with parity because the LA teams are spending absurd amounts of money.

American football has the most parity and is most popular.

European football shares the most with baseball in terms of structure and Id be worried about viewer fatigue if City keeps dominating or there aren’t changes that keep the competition fresh. Foreign fans do not want to watch the same season on repeat… see Ligue 1, Bundesliga, and La Liga’s decline.

European football shares the most with baseball in terms of structure and Id be worried about viewer fatigue if City keeps dominating or there aren’t changes that keep the competition fresh. Foreign fans do not want to watch the same season on repeat… see Ligue 1, Bundesliga, and La Liga’s decline.

You'd think the EPL would be, but it seems their answer is more petro-ball.

Last edited:
EPL has gotten away with it due to a big 6. But I have a hard time seeing it last if it turns into a Gigantic 2 and not quite as big 4-5.

Hence why they're probably sat at this very moment willing on a mega Liverpool take-over.....

3 way title race + 4 way battle for fourth + cannon fodder and the occasional victory upset would suit them just fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom