Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unlike some others in the squad, I doubt Dier wants to go.

Exactly.

I think he is smart enough to know he isn't going to a bigger club that will give him a chance to make England due to association, but dumb enough to think that he is good enough to stay and still make a team like England.

I'm going to hope it is just him going to bat for a guy he likes personally and not any sort of representation of his actual football analysis.

It's the recent history of the Tottenham.

harry-winks-of-tottenham-hotspur-and-ryan-mason-tottenham-hotspur-picture-id1316463665

I wouldn’t be surprised if he calls it a day and leaves pro football in the next year....

Have I missed something? He is a 27 year old physically fit professional central defender who comes off of a season where he started 28 of 38 league games for one of the best teams in the world in the most competitive league in the world. It is likely that he rakes in about £100k each week.

Why would he consider leaving pro football?

Such a frustrating player. He has all the attributes to be a thoroughly modern, adaptable player but he just can't make that breakthrough.

Have I missed something? He is a 27 year old physically fit professional central defender who comes off of a season where he started 28 of 38 league games for one of the best teams in the world in the most competitive league in the world. It is likely that he rakes in about £100k each week.

Why would he consider leaving pro football?
Just think he’s put on some timber since that debilitating illness and lost all form. I know he has a lot of business interests outside football (studying for a degree too) and he might just call it a day. Seems quite pragmatic

Yeah but you're also convinced we're going to sell Kane to Chelsea, so you'll forgive us if we don't take you entirely seriously.

:adegrin:
Not said he’s definitely going there, just said I can see it happening for a number of reasons eg what they will pay, location and Levy’s need to take the highest bid

For me, the only real surprise from England's Euro 2020 squad was Eric Dier being left out, at least of the provisional 33.
Eric's a leader, he enjoys responsibility and he has got the experience of previous tournaments. I know Gareth Southgate said it was his most difficult decision and, having worked with Eric this season at Tottenham, for the majority he was excellent, especially at the beginning.
It was the first year he committed to playing just one position but I think the team's dip in form played a part in him not making the squad. It doesn't help when you don't have a consistent partner and there are a lot of changes around the back four.

I haven't spoken to him since the last day of the season, but we obviously had discussions throughout. Even when the team was performing well and we weren't conceding many, there still seemed to be a negative narrative around the defenders. There were individual mistakes from Eric and others — and that's what people remember.

Ledley King, what does he know... :rolleyes:
If someone asked him about Winks. He would sing his praises too. Ledley's in a paid full time job with Spurs. Its his job to big up our players. Hes not going to come out and say, "Dier's a calamitous slow fat fuck with the turning circle of a cruise ship. England? He shouldnt be fucking playing for Honulululand."

Its just how Kane said he valued Joe Hart's leadership etc. We sign all these amazing players like Joe Hart, Doherty, Hojberg, etc and Kane still wants to leave for trophies? How very oddddddddd. Why does he not want to play with talents like Winks, Dier and Sissoko? So strange.

Such a frustrating player. He has all the attributes to be a thoroughly modern, adaptable player but he just can't make that breakthrough.
What attributes?
He's got no football brain
He's slow as fuck
He's not particularly skilled
He's not very agile

He's a unit. That's his attribute. Maybe boxing is more his sport?

What attributes?
He's got no football brain
He's slow as fuck
He's not particularly skilled
He's not very agile

He's a unit. That's his attribute. Maybe boxing is more his sport?
And those (some of them) are things that he could have improved upon, as top players do. He seems however to be on a slide career-wise. Two or three year ago he was far better placed. See also Dele Alli. If you don't work at this game then others overtake you swiftly.

And those (some of them) are things that he could have improved upon, as top players do. He seems however to be on a slide career-wise. Two or three year ago he was far better placed. See also Dele Alli. If you don't work at this game then others overtake you swiftly.
Either you have a football brain or you don't. You can't coach it. His decision making and reactions are embarrassing. If he was 17 he could iron some out with experience. But he's more like 27 and only getting worse now.

Doesn't only apply to Dier, quite a few are the same and need moving on, not persisting with.

Either you have a football brain or you don't. You can't coach it. His decision making and reactions are embarrassing. If he was 17 he could iron some out with experience. But he's more like 27 and only getting worse now.

Doesn't only apply to Dier, quite a few are the same and need moving on, not persisting with.
I don't disagree with you. I'm not trying to big him up, just stating that he was very promising a few years back but it seems he really doesn't want to improve. Where I do disagree is that I think footballers can be improved significantly in things like decision making.

He's been overtaken at international level and it'll happen at Spurs too.

The fact that a few players are in similar situations makes me think it's more about coaching than the players. I still think Dier, Winks, Sanchez, Dele and Davies need to be sold but it's strange how they all were good and looked promising at one point but now look like total crap.

Back
Top Bottom