Euro 2012

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So the Spanish won with a team mostly comprised of players from Barcelona and Real Madrid, but both those clubs have massive debts and yet continue to spend because they receive loans from the Spanish banks. But those banks are in crisis and having to be rescued. So in some small way the Germans won.

That was the single most complete performance I can think of (aside from whenever we beat anyone). I think it is reasonable to say they are the greatest international team of all time, better than Brazil 1970 and 1982...maybe Hungary in the late 50's and 60's might have a claim but not winning anything at all means it has to these lot.

Dannyboy said:
That was the single most complete performance I can think of (aside from whenever we beat anyone). I think it is reasonable to say they are the greatest international team of all time, better than Brazil 1970 and 1982...maybe Hungary in the late 50's and 60's might have a claim but not winning anything at all means it has to these lot.
HYPERBOLE KLAXON

It's tempting to call it hyperbole, but he's (at least, arguably) right.

Three major tournaments in succession. Now let's see if they can win the World Cup in South America. Brazil managed to win it in Europe in '58. That Brazil team was probably as good as 1970.

Thelonious said:
Dannyboy said:
HYPERBOLE KLAXON

Don't like Spain, but he's right.

Spain spent long periods of this tournament playing not to lose, they are definitely up there with the great Brazil teams and have revolutionised the modern game with their possession football. I think the way in which they got to the final in this tournament raises a few doubts.

Habanero said:
So the Spanish won with a team mostly comprised of players from Barcelona and Real Madrid, but both those clubs have massive debts and yet continue to spend because they receive loans from the Spanish banks. But those banks are in crisis and having to be rescued. So in some small way the Germans won.
I'm sure the German players feel much better for that reasoning. :akabusi:

Thelonious said:
Dannyboy said:
HYPERBOLE KLAXON

ATTENTION SEEKING KLAXON

I just wanted to thank everyone for getting my thread up to over 40 pages. Couldn't have done it without each and every one of you, so feel good about the work you've all done here. Godspeed.

:avblol:

England up to third in latest FIFA rankings - their highest ever position. #SSN -- Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews)

:shock: how do they work this shit out.

Rosie47 said:
England haven't lost a competitive game since 1723, penalty shoot outs have decided all England's eliminations. Technically that makes England by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.

You're not far off. England's last competitive defeat excluding penalty shoot-out against Italy, as the match was technically a draw, was against Germany in 2010. Qualifying for the Euro's unbeaten then winning 2 and drawing 2 games against teams with a decent ranking means England stayed high. We also (somehow) beat Spain last year.

I don't agree that England are the 3rd best team in the world, only an idiot would do that, but the rankings have to be based on something other than just opinion.

YidoBuckler said:
but the rankings have to be based on something other than just opinion.

Yeah I agree but even if you just base it on the latest European competition it goes something like...

Spain
Italy
Germany
Portugal
England
France

Which we can all agree is more accurate.

If you factor in the next latest standings from the Copa America and World Cup then it goes something like...

Spain
Germany
Uruguay
Italy
Argentina
Brazil
Paraguay
Chile
Netherlands
Ghana
Portugal
England

The reason qualification for these tournaments exists is so that the tournament consists of the highest ranking teams so it is silly not to put tournament data significantly ahead of any qualification data.

I do think that when scoring points in the rankings that tournaments have a higher multiplier than qualifying, and qualifiers have a higher multiplier than friendlies etc. Continental tournaments aren't at the same time either. Then you take in to account opponents as well it gets complicated.

Had a check online and it's ranked:

Result points x Match Status x Opposition Strength x Regional Strength.

I was going to copy all of how its worked out but there's too much (tl;dr). Have a look here if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World ... ion_method

Back
Top Bottom