Europa Conference League 2021/22; potential QR2 vs Honka Espoo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How far will we reach?

• Total voters
no, don't think i did. If you really think the new manager will go strong in this and risk the top 4 then I think you have definitely mis-read the majority opinion and what levy has shown with poch who was told top 4 was the priority. We should use this competition purely to get injured players fit, reserve/fringe players and maybe those we want to send on loan. Doing that will help us more in the long term.

Why bother playing if we don't play to win? We should use this competition to try and win a trophy, as we should do for any competition we are in ... Playing for the 4th place trophy to make up the numbers in the CL? How did years of doing that work out for the Woolwich? turned them into spineless jelly-backs, no way do we want to follow that path.

I'd love us to win this next season. prior to the more recent ECL runs playing in the cup winners cup in 91-92 and eufa in 99-00 we played a mixture of European minnows and decent teams with European pedigree. It might be our best chance of silverware so we shouldn't get all high and mighty about this trophy given our current drought. Win it and build for the future.

Why bother playing if we don't play to win? We should use this competition to try and win a trophy, as we should do for any competition we are in ... Playing for the 4th place trophy to make up the numbers in the CL? How did years of doing that work out for the Woolwich? turned them into spineless jelly-backs, no way do we want to follow that path.
well they won plenty of trophies whilst they were 'shit' didn't they. We are already down that path but without any FA cups lol

making up the numbers in the UCL brought many great games against top european opposition, some of which we beat, great nights, making up the numbers also got us to the final.....

i know beggars cant be choosers with trophies, but this tournament is a load of wank and should be used to bring through our youngsters and fringe players

The seeding process puts 8 teams into separate pots. The top seeds, those with the highest coefficient rankings go into pot 1.

The teams with the worse coefficient rankings go into the 4th pot.

Sure but that isn't until the group stage there is still a bunch of games until we find out who is in what pot. I was confused because it sounded like you were talking about already knowing what pots specific teams would be in, like Union Berlin.

In furtherance of the trophy aesthetics discussion.

That list sucks though, because obviously the DFB-Pokal should be #1.

The DFB-Pokal wouldn’t be out of place in the climactic scenes of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

Sure but that isn't until the group stage there is still a bunch of games until we find out who is in what pot. I was confused because it sounded like you were talking about already knowing what pots specific teams would be in, like Union Berlin.
Based only around what one of our fellow forum members had posted a day or so ago.

I've heard that the seeding process is exactly that. Whichever team plays on the best quality field or clearing gets the best draw. Especially if that venue recently been sown.

It’s an utter embarrassment that we’re in this joke of a tournament. Should have given it a swerve, took a dunk against Leicester and in the process fuck the Chavs over for 4th (they’d probably have gone and sacked Tuchal then after losing to Citeh on Saturday).

Just after reading through the list of teams in it. Give me strength. Paide Linnameeskond, Sfintul Gheorghe, Breoabkik and Peteocub Hinesti.

no, don't think i did. If you really think the new manager will go strong in this and risk the top 4 then I think you have definitely mis-read the majority opinion and what levy has shown with poch who was told top 4 was the priority. We should use this competition purely to get injured players fit, reserve/fringe players and maybe those we want to send on loan. Doing that will help us more in the long term.
It is this attitude that is why we have not won a trophy. Top 4 is not a trophy but just an entry to the CL.

It’s an utter embarrassment that we’re in this joke of a tournament. Should have given it a swerve, took a dunk against Leicester and in the process fuck the Chavs over for 4th (they’d probably have gone and sacked Tuchal then after losing to Citeh on Saturday).

Just after reading through the list of teams in it. Give me strength. Paide Linnameeskond, Sfintul Gheorghe, Breoabkik and Peteocub Hinesti.

Way to skewer the facts to suit your twisted argument. We have not won anything like enough trophies in recent history to turn our noses up at this tournament.

The likes of Roma, Villareal (if they lose to Man Utd), Feyenoord, CSKA Sofia, FC Basel, Rosenborg, PAOK, Partizan....all of whom will give us tougher tests than some/most of the sides we played in this seasons UEFA.

Here's a list of some of the sides who are defo in:

Already qualified: Aberdeen, Hibernian, Vitesse Arnhem, Basel, AEK Athens, Rubin Kazan, BATE Borisov, Rosenborg, Pacos Ferreira, Trabzonspor, Kolos Kovalivka, Santa Clara, Sochi, Mechelen, Sivasspor, Wolfsberger, Aarhus, Vorskla Poltava, Feyenoord,, Jablonec, Slovacko, AEL Limassol, Apollon Limassol, Anorthosis Famagusta, Servette, Aris Thessaloniki, PAOK, Partizan, Vojvodina, Cukaricki, Osijek, Gorica, IF Elfsborg, BK Hacken, Molde, Valerenga, Maccabi Tel Aviv, FC Ashdod, Shakhter Karagandy, Tobol, Astana, BATE Borisov, Torpedo-BelAZ Zhodino, Qarabag, Sumgayit (we are all free to choose), Lokomotiv Plovdiv, CSKA Sofia, Arda, FCSB, Universitatea Craiova, Pogon Szczecin, Rakow Czestochowa, Dunajska Streda, Inter Yermum

Pleased to say Glentoran have also made it after tonight’s NIFL Premiership fixtures...my dream match-up becomes a possibility again this year!

While it is a bit annoying that we're in this, these sorts of games will be great experience for Skipp, Sessegnon, Tanganga and Scarlett - with how seriously we took the UEL last season there were less chances for youth and these sort of games have been huge for youngsters in years gone by (Kane being the best example).

Pleased to say Glentoran have also made it after tonight’s NIFL Premiership fixtures...my dream match-up becomes a possibility again this year!

My fantasy group would be (assuming the teams were in it)

Spurs
Aberdeen
Hertha Berlin
Portadown

I will have to swap two to Glentoran and Union Berlin for this year (are Aberdeen in it?).

While it is a bit annoying that we're in this, these sorts of games will be great experience for Skipp, Sessegnon, Tanganga and Scarlett - with how seriously we took the UEL last season there were less chances for youth and these sort of games have been huge for youngsters in years gone by (Kane being the best example).
I still want us to take this tournament somewhat seriously. Since we are in it I want to win it.

I am not saying field the Premier League 11 in the early stages. But we cannot just send the kids either.

Back
Top Bottom