Europa Conference - Mura (A) 25th November 17:45KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Firstly, that Ajax game at home has to be viewed in context. We were on our knees selection wise. Kane was injured, Son was banned or injured from first leg; think Vertonghen got injured during it and we were glad that Sissoko (injured) could come on and at least charge up the field to hold them at bay second half.

(Actually that whole season needs re-evaluating, given that many are explaining away the tired performances of those who played in Euros, from De Bruyne to Grealish, Kane (other reasons too obviously), we had more players than anyone in semis and finals, and only came back a week before season started; we somehow scraped a lot of late win results giving our best start to a prem season but we all knew it couldn't last and it didn't. Kane got injured repeatedly, Trippier had a mistake ridden nightmare, but team still dragged themselves to a Carling semi away goals defeat, a top four and champs league final, with some unlucky defeats however bad results were after Feb like United at home, De Gea's best match, Bournemouth away and Southampton away shoulda been 4 up at half time in both .

Got outplayed by Dortmund home and away in much of the games, but luck plays a role in Europe, for all teams, everyone thinks we were lucky but check Liverpool's runs to various finals, reliant on last minute home worldies against Olympiakos, Barca missing 3 one on ones. We also had a lot of bad luck in that qualifying stage of Champs league, so we were no more lucky than any team that gets there.

It remains to be seen if Conte can shape a new mentality, that matches his, to be given the tools, but I'm also minded to think what is it about our players that makes them so weak... I don't like to think in terms of 'Spursy' stuff, or the soft spurs label of the 70s. When we had players out injured in key games in the early 80s, those like Hazard, Gibson, Brookes, would step up seamlessly. We were missing Clemence, Hoddle, Ardiles for UEFA final '84 and I didn't worry that we'd lose it.

I've sometimes been tempted to start a thread for old timers asking when were we totally confident about our mentality? resisted till now.

I've never really believed in performance related pay arguments, as when I play 5 a side I wanna win no matter what; but, was it purely coincidental that we did well with low basic wages and good performance related bonuses? (how do we get rid of the average underperformers now that we pay better?)

So kane scores a hatrick against mura as a sub and is shit, son does fuck all as a sub against the same shit and is first team quality. No agenda there then.
How about Kane have better than a 4% goal conversion rate in the PL before we talk about him not being shit.

Kane lost the ball 23 fucking times today.

He’s been nothing short of atrocious this season.

Kane lost the ball 23 fucking times today.
Wow…..and Tyler saw “moments of quality” and a good half 😂

Even his most hardened backers aren’t using the goal to mask how utterly shit he was against that level of opposition and that says a lot.

They laughed when I said the player was done.
Look at him.

This is the guy they think will score 45 goals for City and tear it up against the best teams in the world.

:llorishuh:

Last edited:
Wow…..and Tyler saw “moments of quality” and a good half 😂

Even his most hardened backers aren’t using the goal to mask how utterly shit he was against that level of opposition and that says a lot.

They laughed when I said the player was.
Look at him.

This is the guy they think will score 45 goals for City and tear it up against the best teams in the world.

:llorishuh:
sudoku doesn’t think Kane gets the ball enough and him losing the ball 23 times means that he had to win the ball 23 times by himself

sudoku doesn’t think Kane gets the ball enough and him losing the ball 23 times means that he had to win the ball 23 times by himself

All this “get the ball” bollocks……get it your fucking self like any footballer has to.

It’s called winning back possession and should be a given in any match especially when lose the ball yourself so often.

Everyone thought we’d win last night.
Some thought 8-0
A few saw a Kane double hat trick

When he SHOWED us for England the other week, my advice was “wait and see because Leeds aren’t Albania”………….and here we are, two weeks later and Kane isn’t even standing out in the EL conference

I think this is a good post.

I'm not seeing much difference to how we were playing before apart from when conte has a go at the players and they run around with a bit more intensity.

I certainly don't think we have the ability to play with wing backs. The quality isn't there. I said after the first game Conte managed, the first priority in January should be to buy quality wing backs. I think Conte needs to show a bit more flexibility in the setup. We are still playing too narrow and this is really damaging our ability to create anything. I've not followed Conte's career long enough but know he prefers the wing back system. I remember fogueres fogueres saying one of his limitations is tactical inflexibility, so given we don't have good wing backs I don't see much changing.

Kane is playing a lot with his back to goal and being surrounded by 2/3 defenders. Lucas and Son just don't have the space to operate playing in the inside channels.

We respect the opposition far too much. I think 5 defenders and 2 holding players is overkill.

I'm also seeing square pegs in round holes still. Sanchez is dodgy at RCB at the best of times. So why play him at LCB. He got done twice because of it. Dier is used to playing LCB so why not just swap them. He should have kept Rodon on instead of Sanchez.

This doesn't absolve any blame from some of the performances by the players.
Conte has a type of work setting that usually passes through the summer preparation in fact in the past he has refused important offers in the race (including Real Madrid). It would be curious to understand how he is handling it. However, I confirm that he strongly believes in the game developed on the flanks but above all in the intensity.

Kane does look heavy out there looks to be a few kilos too much. He put a shift in, done well for the goal. Poor in his general play.

they all got work to do.

Dele, son, Gil didn't offer anything. Lucas had some moments but still frustrating

Fatigue often occurs along with malaise. When experiencing malaise, you will often also feel exhausted or lethargic in addition to a generalized feeling of being unwell.
jokes-joke.gif

If we want to we can still stay in this competition. Just need to play a first team and we should comfortably beat Rennes.

If we go weak again then it's a thrown game, simple as that.

All this “get the ball” bollocks……get it your fucking self like any footballer has to.

It’s called winning back possession and should be a given in any match especially when lose the ball yourself so often.

Everyone thought we’d win last night.
Some thought 8-0
A few saw a Kane double hat trick

When he SHOWED us for England the other week, my advice was “wait and see because Leeds aren’t Albania”………….and here we are, two weeks later and Kane isn’t even standing out in the EL conference
Did someone really say double hatrick and 8 nil??

Conte must be wondering what he got himself into by far his biggest challenge to date I would think he has a huge task to get us even close to the level he has been used to over the last few years .

Back
Top Bottom