Europa League Draw

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Soldado double against Valencia in Europa Final. The man will stand at his spot, arms by his side, look down and crack a barely visible smile.

I'd fancy teams that actually play real football like the Portuguese and Swiss. Don't fancy watching the lads get 2 shades of s**t kicked out of them on a cold Thursday night by Eastern European thug sides!

Dinamo Zagreb brought an amazing atmosphere with them last time.
Away fixture might be a bit daunting though.

Christ how did I miss Apollon? That's my home town team! If we draw them I'm flying in for that!

Im praying to a Portuguese team get in Spurs group. Im going to the game hell yeah. I wish for Paços de Ferreira though, being so close to my hometown it would be amazing :)

The nearest match for me would be Legia. No chance I'm risking that away day with those nuts. I still recall what they did out here (I was on holiday) during the intertoto cup in 2007. Go down 1–0 in the first half, storm the pitch, get the match abandoned. Class act.

The nearest match for me would be Legia. No chance I'm risking that away day with those nuts. I still recall what they did out here (I was on holiday) during the intertoto cup in 2007. Go down 1–0 in the first half, storm the pitch, get the match abandoned. Class act.

Aren't the poles mad about Wilno/Vilnius?

WILNO NASZE :chicco:

The nearest match for me would be Legia.
Nearest for me, although I suspect neither cheapest nor easiest to get to, would be Shaktar Karagandy. Hmm.
Then Anzhi are 2nd closest - but do they play European home games in Makhachkala or just use a Moscow stadium? Flights to Dagestan probably aren't cheap either, mind.

Your right those guys are mental: We have a few deserts over here you could dump them in and give a few bottles of water between them, see how long solidarity lasts then!!!

Aren't the poles mad about Wilno/Vilnius?
The short version is: it's complicated. Vilnius is a city of five languages (Belarusian, Russian, Yiddish, Polish, and Lithuanian), and all five groups have claims on the city. Lithuania's is oldest, but it was only after Lithuania joined the USSR that Vilnius finally became a majority Lithuanian city… the city was always full of foreign merchants (Germans and Jews) and, later, gentry & clerics (who identified as Polish) and, even later, Russian empire functionaries. Lithuanians stuck to the farms.

So, yes, Legia came here and marched up and down the old town streets, giving it large about how Vilnius is a Polish city.

But the incoherence of the posturing (or, rather, the reveal that it's just posturing) came when Lech Poznań came to town earlier this month (one of their ultras stole my Žalgiris cap). Poznań is practically in Germany, yet the ultras all assembled by the Ostra brama to sing the Polish national anthem, tagged street lamps with maps of interwar Poland with the name "Vilnius" crossed out in favour of "Wilno", etc. I doubt that anyone in Poznań has especially considered or deep feelings towards this city, but that won't stop ultras from provoking. On the return leg in Poznań, they had a massive banner unfurled in Poland that read, more or less, "Lithuanian serfs, bow before your Polish masters". Of course, the head of the Polish political action here in Vilnius blamed Lithuanian secret services for unfurling the banner. So it's all fun and games until matches get abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom