Europa League ~ Ultras #2

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't think it would be that much of a 'simple matter' though mate, a handful of people from a forum on the internet trying to buy a load of tickets in the same block before thousands of other fans do, I know the demand for Europa games will be lower but this is still the most popular part of the ground so tickets in this area will still sell.

As for having 30 or so people spread out around a block (or even 2 blocks) singing and this encouraging others to do the same, I would say that this is what happens already, pockets of people singing and trying to generate an atmosphere and it doesn't necessarily get others to join in. Unfortunately there will always be people there that don't want to sing, sad but true.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna have to agree to disagree and leave this thread alone now, otherwise we're just going to keep going round and round in circles!

sammyspurs said:

We simply need to re-post this pic every couple of replies... just to remind us of what an amazing night that was, and what an important trophy the UEFA Cup (I still refuse to call it anything else!) is in the FABRIC of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Because we've never REALLY had an affinity with the (old) European Cup or Champions League, we can't really be too tearful that we've missed out again (we've only competed in the competition twice ffs!!!) That has it's own separate thread i'm sure, but for now, we're in THIS competition, so let's treat IT (and ourselves) with respect, and enjoy the European Adventure... wherever it takes us!

after all, even though they won't be playing that poxy plastic faux-operatic 'anthem' at the beginning of games, we're STILL all going on a European Tour!!!

sammyspurs said:
stainesspurs said:
As T mentioned atleast the youth/academy side will appreciate it - you saw by the players response the days after it meant the world to them.

I don't think Yago Falque & Dos Santos are gonna give two shits if you are singing for 90 minutes or not.

Hardly anyone who sits near me in Block 32 took up the option to buy their seat for any Europa League game this season which opened the door to alot of idiots, most of which were singing the songs in the wrong tune for example - it won't work in my opinion for EL home games, if you want a laugh where you can do whatever you want then book yourself up for an away game in Europe.

I couldnt disagree more.

If the decent fans go, then we can have an atmosphere. Its as simple as that. How wont it work? You turn up and sing...we are not Scum fans!!

People cant blame the CL, and City, and Chelsea, and Sky and Roman Abramovich for destroying football, then say its not worth turning up at WHL for EL games.....and it's too difficult to make a noise.

You'd all be up for it if was the CL though eh? Thats what annoys me the most, because while complaining about modern football and all its faults, no one give's a shit about a competition we've won twice, and had some of our most memorable history making moments in.....because the CL and Top 4 is everything.

People shouldnt blame the powers that be because they themselves cant be arsed to support their team at a home game. Simply going is not enough, and fans in England are light years behind every single country on the planet in terms of effort.

We need to put an end to this, and what better way than to spark an Ultra's movement in the EL?Those who dont think it will work, then what is your aim? Turn up and not sing? Not turn up at all? I dont get it.

With all due respect as Smolik pointed out no one (that I've read) has slagged off the Europa League.

His recent summary of how The Ultras won't work echoes my thoughts so I'll leave it on that front as he got the point across well.

As for your quote "You'd all be up for it had it been CL" that cannot be further from the truth, I had a 100% success rate of attending Europa League fixtures last year and yes that includes Rubin poxy Kazan away, so if you was trying to dig me out on the CL bangwagon I'm afraid it won't stick.

The bottom line is people don't care about it at present, which you may say they have a point forking out hundreds rolling into thousands of pounds a season when our manager certainly doesn't care about winning it.

I, however do care and am all about glory and silverware... Looking forward to next years competition.

stainesspurs said:
The bottom line is people don't care about it at present, which you may say they have a point forking out hundreds rolling into thousands of pounds a season when our manager certainly doesn't care about winning it.

Spot on there, Harry made it clear last year the EL was something he didn't want to be in, and then when we weren't in it any more our form went to shit anyway - how fucking ironic was that?

Credit due to sammyspurs for what you are trying to do, but personally I think you are flogging a dead horse.

The Ultras name on this forum was really just a tagline for what was trying to be achieved with the youth game. Football is more than Sky, CL even EL and players earning 1000's of pounds a day. For those on here it is about the love of the shirt. The Ultras name was picked to group people together and show the young players there is something special about our club.

As for the atmosphere at the Lane, it will keep getting worse as the crowd keeps getting older.
I gave up my ST this year, can't remember the atmosphere ever being as poor as it was and seeing thousands of empty seats in the EL games was embarrassing.

I preferred it when we were shit. At least we sang.

What planet do you live on Sammy?

This would never work at WHL on such a fixture.

Even if we did get an 'ultras' mob together, that somehow managed to get a large block of seats altogether with no gaps, that weren't party to having their flags and instruments seized at the entrance, that weren't likely assigned extra stewards once the news filters back to the club to ensure that they sit down at all times, that were willing to pay an inflated sum of money, we're looking at several hundred fans max.

Away allocation will be sold out to several thousand, vociferous, wild European fans as you noted previously.

Our 'ultras' are mugged off, don't look anything special, people leave dejected and much less up for it.

The Charlton game was magical, probably my favourite game of all of last season.

I'll be at the UEFA games, as I was this season, and I'll sing my heart out as I did this season - but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Ultras movement, in my opinion, needs to gather momentum via several more nights as seen at Charlton. Let the word spread and hopefully the support will go from strength to strength in an organic fashion.

Jumping straight in for first team fixtures feels like forcing the issue and will only really backfire I feel.

I live on a planet where less than 5yrs ago we had the best home crowd in London, and one of the best in the PL. I live on a planet where we spent years hating the "SKY 4", and Chelsea for what they had created, where fans were priced out of games, and many abandoned the PL to watch lower leagues and get a taste of real football.

The atmosphere at WHL is, by and large fucking shit.

All I have proposed, is that people try and buy up tickets in one block, and sing for 90 minutes....even if its a few hundred, it will count, and Im sure it will inspire others, and grow, simply because:

Singing and having fun >>>>>>>> Sitting, in silence, getting mugged off at home

Too difficult? Fine, dont come, dont sing but most importantly, dont fucking complain.

On a side note, do you think there would be an atmosphere if we got the semi final, and were at home 2nd leg? Or the quaters even?

Even with all the stewards, and no flags?

Not difficult at all, its just a matter of being up for it, and getting those around you involved. If ten people influence ten people each.........

I don't care if there is 100 people or just me and my mates.
Atmosphere is what you make it.
If everyone that wants to sings and shouts we should generate atmosphere.

Also the number of people that come to the games.. Didn't Kazan at home have about 23k people (including away)?

Why?

All Ive said we should do is:

1) Try and buy up the tickets in a block
2) Sing

Ive been met with a barrage of posts telling me that people think this will be too difficult.

The only response I can think of, is, that if people think that my request cant be achieved, then:

1) Dont try and buy a ticket in that block
2) Dont sing

But then those same people shouldnt complain about the diabolical atmosphere at WHL. All very logical to me!

By the way,did you agree with the rest of the post, and the one after?

I think a few people are missing the point of the Ultra's.

It was originally to show support for the youth team. These guys wear the shirt and are part of the club, but are paid a tiny, tiny fraction of what the first team are.

They don't get rewarded with huge goal bonuses, and more often than not will be playing games behind closed doors, or to just a handful of people.

We wanted to show them that they were part of the club by giving them a taste of what is like to have people singing your name and supporting you for a whole 90mins.

Asking people to go to a first team game and sing and shout should be mandatory - it shouldn't need a group to create an atmosphere.

I would encourage everyone to go and sing regardless, but trying to block book tickets etc makes it completely impractical.

Rather than just sing along, I would rather go all out and create banners, bang drums, sing songs to support the youth team. If that spreads to first team games then it will be a natural evolution, but that isn't the point of the Ultras.

There will be games that TFC will be getting behind and getting BIG numbers along to, but for the time being they will be youth team games, not the Europa league.

Of course, if you are going along you should all be singing regardless, but lets go the extra mile for the kids rather than the overpaid millionaires

Ramsingh said:
Okay then Spurs vs Barca NextGen
Looks most promising now!

YES!

I'm sure once we have details this will be brilliant

Hopefully will be at The Lane, like the Liverpool game was

This would be brilliant, after last time we'd probably get bigger numbers aswell, especially given the opposition. I just hope our stewards are as understanding as the Charlton ones were and don't spend the game trying to get us all sitting down.

If not there's always the away leg...
:adegrin:

The stewards in Paxton are useless I stood for a whole two minutes before getting told to sit down :nawty:

Back
Top Bottom