European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Any lover of tottenham should agree? Pretty arrogant and definitely not true.

NO.

Any lover of FOOTBALL should NOT agree.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you support the ESL you're (and speaking in general terms here) no better than a plastic chav or manc.

Over and out.
We aren’t leaving the PL, just cutting off the thousands of European bureaucrats in UEFA earning fortunes from the branding and pull of the PL.

Personally, I’d much rather watch a Wednesday night Cup tie against Colchester than a meaningless ‘glamour’ match against our deadly rivals (sarcasm) AC Milan with absolutely nothing riding on it.
We already have an ESL. It’s called the Premier League.
The proposal is just an effort by the Italians and Spanish who have fallen behind to regain parity and for American owners like The Glazers to maximize profit without the need to be competitive. Fuck all of them.
And fuck UEFA and their historical coefficient concept which would screw clubs currently trying to do well.
I'm interested why you think we already have an ESL?

Playing Leeds is the same as playing Milan?

No, playing Leeds in a game that matters for one or the other (relegation, European competition etc ) is far superior to what amounts to a friendly against Milan in a competition which we can’t possibly win).

As for the first part. I’m basically saying that the EPL is superior to all the other European leagues and, for me at least, the summit as far as winning competitions go.
The ESL is a blatant attempt by teams in fading leagues to gain financial parity. Barca owe a billion. Of course they favor a non-competitive SuperLeague that sees them as perennial members and favorites.

I understand you feel that way, but you aren't right. Not dissimilar to the pushback on the PL, changes to the CL, etc. There will be outcries, but they'll be short lived.

Clubs sussed a long time ago that we're hooked on the drug and we aren't kicking the habit. There will be a short term backlash...then the ball will roll out on the pitch and we'll buy the tickets/tv subscriptions/merchandise. We're obsessing over it on an internet forum (a really top drawer forum); we aren't all collectively gonna go do something else with our time.

I'd simply go and support a non league club/go to more non Super League games and continue to support England. Still be a fan of the game and go to matches when I can, but I wouldn't be able to support a Super League club, and I know plenty of other fans of various clubs who would 100% do the same. Especially local fans of teams like Liverpool.

Football is broken and too many greedy fucks are sucking us, the fans dry.
Like a lot of you, I spend a fortune on a season ticket, a sky subscription, a BT subscription and even Amazon to watch Spurs and Spurs only.

If I could ditch all of those and pay Spurs directly, I absolutely would. I don't want my money being spread out to teams I don't care about and you just know it's gonna start getting syphoned off into the womens game soon too making our subs even higher.

The ESL was/is a way for teams to do that. It was designed to cut all the different greedy bastards like UEFA and Broadcasters out of the equation.

It seems drastic, but we're all spending a fortune to watch football because too many people have their fingers in the pie.
With internet steaming, the likes of Sky and BT should be shitting themselves.

Like a lot of you, I spend a fortune on a season ticket, a sky subscription, a BT subscription and even Amazon to watch Spurs and Spurs only.

If I could ditch all of those and pay Spurs directly, I absolutely would. I don't want my money being spread out to teams I don't care about and you just know it's gonna start getting syphoned off into the womens game soon too making our subs even higher.

The ESL was/is a way for teams to do that. It was designed to cut all the different greedy bastards like UEFA and Broadcasters out of the equation.

It seems drastic, but we're all spending a fortune to watch football because too many people have their fingers in the pie.

There's not a chance in hell that joining the ESL makes supporting your football team any less expensive for the average fan. Unless they're ones like me, who will just fuck off to support a club not taking part in that farce.

The parasite owners of the super league clubs would very soon be charging higher prices for the privilege of watching a super league club. Big games every week = bigger prices. The money would just be going in to different pockets, the fans wouldn't benefit in the slightest.

There's not a chance in hell that joining the ESL makes supporting your football team any less expensive for the average fan. Unless they're ones like me, who will just fuck off to support a club not taking part in that farce.

The parasite owners of the super league clubs would very soon be charging higher prices for the privilege of watching a super league club. Big games every week = bigger prices. The money would just be going in to different pockets, the fans wouldn't benefit in the slightest.
I didn't say it would.
What I said was, our money would go to our club.

No, playing Leeds in a game that matters for one or the other (relegation, European competition etc ) is far superior to what amounts to a friendly against Milan in a competition which we can’t possibly win).

As for the first part. I’m basically saying that the EPL is superior to all the other European leagues and, for me at least, the summit as far as winning competitions go.
The ESL is a blatant attempt by teams in fading leagues to gain financial parity. Barca owe a billion. Of course they favor a non-competitive SuperLeague that sees them as perennial members and favorites.
"We can't possibly win" ?

Why not?

As for you thinking the PL is better than the ESL as English football is superior, how have Spain won 5 of the last 10 CL finals?

Why not?

As for you thinking the PL is better than the ESL as English football is superior, how have Spain won 5 of the last 10 CL finals?

We can't win more than a single league cup in 20 years of just playing in English football, but we're going to be winning what would effectively be a league containing only the elite of European football? Based on what?

Yet not even had a team involved in the final of the last 3. And won't this year either, because their league is on the wane due to the top clubs struggling to keep up financially. Hence why they're so desperate for the Super League, they know a period of struggling is coming and they're desperately trying to get money in.

I'd simply go and support a non league club/go to more non Super League games and continue to support England. Still be a fan of the game and go to matches when I can, but I wouldn't be able to support a Super League club, and I know plenty of other fans of various clubs who would 100% do the same. Especially local fans of teams like Liverpool.
I appreciate your sentiment. I don't think they give a fuck. Sponsorship and tv money vastly outstrips matchday revenue, and for every disillusioned fan off to lower level clubs, there'd be more to take your place. And eventually those who remembered a time before will age out and die off. No different than everyone saying they were gonna keep "Main Street" alive and boycott the big box stores. That sort of energy is quickly expended.

I hate my callous cynicism about it, but I'd bet my house on it, quite honestly. There's too much money for the Uniteds to keep turning out for a Wednesday night in Stoke. They're tired of doling out to keep the paupers in business. Football became a business a long, long time ago.

We can't win more than a single league cup in 20 years of just playing in English football, but we're going to be winning what would effectively be a league containing only the elite of European football? Based on what?
With Conte I think that's about to change.

Let's not forget how many semis and finals were bottled in those 20 years due to poor management.

I appreciate your sentiment. I don't think they give a fuck. Sponsorship and tv money vastly outstrips matchday revenue, and for every disillusioned fan off to lower level clubs, there'd be more to take your place. And eventually those who remembered a time before will age out and die off. No different than everyone saying they were gonna keep "Main Street" alive and boycott the big box stores. That sort of energy is quickly expended.

I hate my callous cynicism about it, but I'd bet my house on it, quite honestly. There's too much money for the Uniteds to keep turning out for a Wednesday night in Stoke. They're tired of doling out to keep the paupers in business. Football became a business a long, long time ago.

Oh I don't expect they do. There would be enough mugs left behind and day trippers to get people through anyway, and more than enough of the other types of revenue. It'd operate but I just wouldn't be a part of it, the thought of supporting the club in that kind of situation makes me feel drained. Just utterly soulless.

I'm still a hopeless romantic and hopeful that the reaction they got last time will have spooked them for a while at least. But it'll probably happen by the back door, or a gradual chipping away until the super league is inevitable. It sucks. I'll just enjoy whatever time we have left of watchable football, and then half heartedly support an inevitable breakaway side.

Why not?

It’s hard enough to win a competition with 5 teams with greater revenue. It will be impossible when there are 7-9 over a full (non-knockout) season.

Spain has two super clubs. Its deals, until recently, were skewed to produce that result. It was marketed as such — even down to two individuals ‘Messi vs Ronaldo’. I’m pretty certain that the EPL UEFA coefficient is higher than Spain’s in spite of those two super clubs.

In terms of global popularity and revenue , the EPL is far superior to all its counterparts.

Let's hope so matey....Let's hope so indeed 🙏 ....

Out of interest, was your mantra two decades ago "Where Glen made us Dare, Santini will make us Do! :roflmao:
Don't have a mantra.

I leave that to those, such as you, who only see things one way and let their agenda(s) shape everything.

Remember when you said ...'not one brick'? I do...:levywhoa:

I really do hope we are a part of it.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, and as is not about facts I can't say your opinion is wrong. However the idea of the super league is abhorrent to me and the thought that my beloved Spurs intended to be a part of that has left enough of a nasty taste in my mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I understand from a business and financial sense that it makes complete sense. But I don't follow football for that. I follow it for the drama, the highs and even the lows that come with football.

The PL has so many competitive parts in it. Even last year we were flighting to get into Europe after an awful season and that still had excitement. I get no excitement fighting for 2nd-20th in a soulless league where there are no rewards other than winning it. I'd find a season where we were fighting relegation (which I would never hope for) more exciting than fighting for (say) a pointless 4th place in the super league.

And even if Super League clubs are allowed to still play in the PL, this would just make the top places a closed shop with no drama's like Leicester winning the league (I'd still rather we won it but I can't say it wasn't a fairy tail story) or even Spurs rise into becoming a top 6 force in the early 2000s.

If (/unfortunately probably when) it happens, I hope Spurs take no part in it and all the clubs in it are kicked out of their leagues. I can't support a club that has sold their soul, even if I have been supporting them since I can remember. If that makes me a worst fan then so be it.

Will you complain should it happen, we don't join, and then we are in a nothing league with Burnley, Leeds, Hearts and Celtic, etc?

We have to be in this, any lover of Tottenham should agree.

I'd take a 'nothing league' with a soul over a cash grabbing soulless boring league. Being the best isn't everything in football for me. If it was I would have supported Man Utd as a kid.

Any lover of tottenham should agree? Pretty arrogant and definitely not true.

NO.

Any lover of FOOTBALL should NOT agree.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you support the ESL you're (and speaking in general terms here) no better than a plastic chav or manc.

Over and out.
Every word of your post is wrong.

Nice chat...:nunothumb:

So childish. You may disagree with cretinousgoat cretinousgoat but opinions aren't right or wrong.

Playing anyone in the PL while fighting for something (the title, top 4, European places, surviving relegation) for me will always be more exciting than playing Milan for 10th/11th place.

(P.S. Thanks for the retaliatory disagree on an old post on another thread just because I disagree on you here. I always wanted my first disagree to be for something that petty and you lived up to it perfectly)

Last edited:

you need to get a firestick LOL

Back
Top Bottom