European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Its eventually going to come off, its been inevitable for a long time. There's too much money in the game, and the driving force isn't clubs like PSG that benefit from the status quo and their huge financial advantage. Its the normal clubs, who have operating budgets and want to be able to fix their costs and mitigate their risks. The Chelsea sale will give those that want to push the ESL yet another vote. Their new owners will be motivated to push it through before their troubled finances weaken their case for inclusion.

The oil despots made football untenable for the boardrooms. So, eventually, the boardrooms will take the game behind closed doors, so to speak. Free market capitalism, the big eat the small.

Maintain that I hope we're left out when it happens sooner rather than later.
Great. Woolwich and Chelsea with ESL money and us with none. Going to be so good feeling virtuous as we are never competitive with them again.

I don't agree.

Will you complain should it happen, we don't join, and then we are in a nothing league with Burnley, Leeds, Hearts and Celtic, etc?

We have to be in this, any lover of Tottenham should agree.

Any lover of tottenham should agree? Pretty arrogant and definitely not true.

NO.

Any lover of FOOTBALL should NOT agree.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you support the ESL you're (and speaking in general terms here) no better than a plastic chav or manc.

Over and out.

Because I think it'll be everything thats wrong with the game. I don't want to follow the Detroit Lions of global football's NFL. Not interested in being brought along to make up the numbers in a competition for the greater glory of Madrid, United, Milan, etc.

I'd much rather be left behind in the heap of whatever is left, most likely a British league, competing for trophies without all the bullshit.
They won't go though, this has never been proposed and is not in their interests. They will do both. They will win all the trophies.

Any lover of tottenham should agree? Pretty arrogant and definitely not true.

NO.

Any lover of FOOTBALL should NOT agree.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you support the ESL you're (and speaking in general terms here) no better than a plastic chav or manc.

I'll leave it there or I'll say something I'll regret. Don't bother replying - the ESL is for cunts, end of.

Over and out.
Every word of your post is wrong.

Nice chat...:nunothumb:

They won't go though, this has never been proposed and is not in their interests. They will do both. They will win all the trophies.
It is 100% in their interests. Proposals thus far may have been for a "fixed" version of the CL, but that is very plainly just the bleeding edge. The very real intention of these people is a football version of the NFL/NBA. Fixed membership, closed finances, shared revenue, and set labour costs. Its about turning a very high revenue but very inefficient system into a license to print money.

You think these investors have been buying into football because they like rubbing elbows with athletes and polishing trophies?

I'm not sure FIFA or UEFA had a choice, TBH. The meritocracy of the football pyramid does not fit with the monetisation of sport. Look around the world, even F1 and the like are owned by investors, churned for profit, and destined for shared revenue, expense caps, and modularity.

Sport has been overtaken by business. And business wants to mitigate risk, fix costs, and maximize revenue. Supporting the Sheffields is a sunk cost the Uniteds of the world no longer care to take. And the international bodies really can't cut off their noses to spite their faces.

The day they took a pound to put a sponsor's name on a shirt, we boarded this train. There were never any other stations to disembark at, either.

For the clubs not owned by Oligarchs with billions of dollars to piss away for fun, I completely understand the appeal and need for the ESL.

Where I put blame on FIFA and UEFA is that they allowed for and fostered a system that was inherently unsustainable. We tend to think that there are only a couple of realistic options, where it is either a pure meritocracy system built on the strictest of financial controls, or a purely capitalist system where the open market will weed out the weak from strong. I think that they wanted the outward appearance of a meritocracy but in all forms of action and policy it has been the opposite. That's why I kind of found the protests and comments about the ESL the first time somewhat funny. Everyone complained that the ESL was rotten because it took away the competition and fair play built into the existing system, but for all intents and purposes that was largely dead anyways.

We all know FFP was a joke now, the new proposed system arguably looks worse in most respects, but none of that mattered while revenues were growing for the sport. They didn't care who started buying clubs as long as there was money to be invested, they didn't really make much of an impact of larger clubs buying up talent to reduce competition, they looked the other way when clubs bent and went around rules leading to financial doping, they failed to close loopholes to allow all of these things to happen, and created a system where it's so bad that even the bad actors find themselves screwed by the monster they helped to create.

For the clubs not owned by Oligarchs with billions of dollars to piss away for fun, I completely understand the appeal and need for the ESL.

Where I put blame on FIFA and UEFA is that they allowed for and fostered a system that was inherently unsustainable. We tend to think that there are only a couple of realistic options, where it is either a pure meritocracy system built on the strictest of financial controls, or a purely capitalist system where the open market will weed out the weak from strong. I think that they wanted the outward appearance of a meritocracy but in all forms of action and policy it has been the opposite. That's why I kind of found the protests and comments about the ESL the first time somewhat funny. Everyone complained that the ESL was rotten because it took away the competition and fair play built into the existing system, but for all intents and purposes that was largely dead anyways.

We all know FFP was a joke now, the new proposed system arguably looks worse in most respects, but none of that mattered while revenues were growing for the sport. They didn't care who started buying clubs as long as there was money to be invested, they didn't really make much of an impact of larger clubs buying up talent to reduce competition, they looked the other way when clubs bent and went around rules leading to financial doping, they failed to close loopholes to allow all of these things to happen, and created a system where it's so bad that even the bad actors find themselves screwed by the monster they helped to create.
I agree that FIFA/UEFA allowing in the dirty money accelerated this comig, but like I've said the train was already boarded. ENIC and the Glazers were in, among others, before then. And this is the stop they were heading for. Once the game became a business, the definitions of the economic marketplace had us on this path no matter what.

Personally, I’d much rather watch a Wednesday night Cup tie against Colchester than a meaningless ‘glamour’ match against our deadly rivals (sarcasm) AC Milan with absolutely nothing riding on it.
We already have an ESL. It’s called the Premier League.
The proposal is just an effort by the Italians and Spanish who have fallen behind to regain parity and for American owners like The Glazers to maximize profit without the need to be competitive. Fuck all of them.
And fuck UEFA and their historical coefficient concept which would screw clubs currently trying to do well.

It is 100% in their interests. Proposals thus far may have been for a "fixed" version of the CL, but that is very plainly just the bleeding edge. The very real intention of these people is a football version of the NFL/NBA. Fixed membership, closed finances, shared revenue, and set labour costs. Its about turning a very high revenue but very inefficient system into a license to print money.

You think these investors have been buying into football because they like rubbing elbows with athletes and polishing trophies?
It is not in their interests to give up their domestic leagues and any investor who believes it will happen is a fool, certainly in this country. Getting some sort of ring-fence around European revenue through some kind of ESL is more believable.

It is not in their interests to give up their domestic leagues and any investor who believes it will happen is a fool, certainly in this country. Getting some sort of ring-fence around European revenue through some kind of ESL is more believable.
I understand you feel that way, but you aren't right. Not dissimilar to the pushback on the PL, changes to the CL, etc. There will be outcries, but they'll be short lived.

Clubs sussed a long time ago that we're hooked on the drug and we aren't kicking the habit. There will be a short term backlash...then the ball will roll out on the pitch and we'll buy the tickets/tv subscriptions/merchandise. We're obsessing over it on an internet forum (a really top drawer forum); we aren't all collectively gonna go do something else with our time.

Back
Top Bottom