European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Aside from these new murmurings for a moment, just imagine the fucking brutal poundings we'd have been on the end of by now had the original ESL taken flight...

:contehmm:
...but that's incidental. Importantly, the Stadium would have been forever full of people wanting to buy pies and beer and t-shirts.

It's the Daily Mail, so take it with a gain of salt. Sounds like it could be a disaster though.

Football's European Super League 'will be relaunched NEXT WEEK', with Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid 'to reveal new proposals including ditching permanent members' after the plan's collapse last year​

The controversial European Super League appears to not be completely dead as three of the continent's biggest sides are set to relaunch the competition next week.

After years of speculation, plans for the ESL were first unveiled in April 2021 which sent shockwaves through the world of football.

The new league, which did not include promotion or relegation, was launched by 12 'founding members' including Manchester United, Liverpool, Woolwich, Manchester City, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Alongside this, Spanish sides Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Italian counterpats Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan all agreed to join too.

However, the reaction from fans in opposing the plans was so strong that the league fell apart within 48 hours of its launch.

Nine clubs - including all six English clubs - quit the League, with the Premier League sides receiving a fine as punishment.

Now, those clubs are reportedly set to announce the return of the league with new proposals that would no longer mean there were permanent members.

The Telegraph reports that Juventus president Andrea Agnelli is due to speak on Thursday where he will unveil the new plans.

Among the changes will be the introduction of a traditional domestic league qualification and the clubs behind it also say it will allow for the creation of new teams in countries such as Luxembourg as well as cities like Dublin.

UEFA and the Premier League believe the competition is 'dead in the water', but the three that remain believe a deal can still be done at some point.

The ESL was established due to growing discontent at the way UEFA ran its European competitions. The Telegraph claims that the three rebels will challenge what it calls UEFA's 'monopolistic' position on European football at a hearing in the European Court of Justice later this year.

It’s all just “things that are like the NFL” mad libs

It is absolutely true that football should be better developed at the top level outside of 5 countries and a handful of clubs.

Well guess what, an even greater hegemony on the sport’s resources for Juventus and Real Madrid ain’t pointing in the right direction to fix that.

Fuck UEFA. Get involved.

This is an opportunity for Spurs to clean up, big bucks returns whilst the other English clubs suck on the little UEFA teat

UEFA/FIFA are trying to do exactly what the ESL wanted to do - while everyone claimed the ESL would ruin football. Promised places for great historical teams? Come on...

PSG say this is dead now.

But... Barca say different.

Its eventually going to come off, its been inevitable for a long time. There's too much money in the game, and the driving force isn't clubs like PSG that benefit from the status quo and their huge financial advantage. Its the normal clubs, who have operating budgets and want to be able to fix their costs and mitigate their risks. The Chelsea sale will give those that want to push the ESL yet another vote. Their new owners will be motivated to push it through before their troubled finances weaken their case for inclusion.

The oil despots made football untenable for the boardrooms. So, eventually, the boardrooms will take the game behind closed doors, so to speak. Free market capitalism, the big eat the small.

Maintain that I hope we're left out when it happens sooner rather than later.

Its eventually going to come off, its been inevitable for a long time. There's too much money in the game, and the driving force isn't clubs like PSG that benefit from the status quo and their huge financial advantage. Its the normal clubs, who have operating budgets and want to be able to fix their costs and mitigate their risks. The Chelsea sale will give those that want to push the ESL yet another vote. Their new owners will be motivated to push it through before their troubled finances weaken their case for inclusion.

The oil despots made football untenable for the boardrooms. So, eventually, the boardrooms will take the game behind closed doors, so to speak. Free market capitalism, the big eat the small.

Why do you hope we are left out? Why should UEFA skim an absolute fortune and not share with the clubs? Fuck them off

That cunt at the helm for PSG has his snout in the UEFA trough

Why do you hope we are left out? Why should UEFA skim an absolute fortune and not share with the clubs? Fuck them off

That cunt at the helm for PSG has his snout in the UEFA trough
Because I think it'll be everything thats wrong with the game. I don't want to follow the Detroit Lions of global football's NFL. Not interested in being brought along to make up the numbers in a competition for the greater glory of Madrid, United, Milan, etc.

I'd much rather be left behind in the heap of whatever is left, most likely a British league, competing for trophies without all the bullshit.

I really do hope we are a part of it.

Because I think it'll be everything thats wrong with the game. I don't want to follow the Detroit Lions of global football's NFL. Not interested in being brought along to make up the numbers in a competition for the greater glory of Madrid, United, Milan, etc.

I'd much rather be left behind in the heap of whatever is left, most likely a British league, competing for trophies without all the bullshit.

I agree with all of what you say about it, but I'm really torn which is the lesser of two evils. It's a sham of a league but at least we're a part of it and don't become just a feeder club for the ESL. On the other hand, I agree with your sentiment that I'd generally not want Spurs to be a part of something that I really dislike.

Unfortunately, this is the eventual result of the system that FIFA and UEFA allowed to develop over time.

I agree with all of what you say about it, but I'm really torn which is the lesser of two evils. It's a sham of a league but at least we're a part of it and don't become just a feeder club for the ESL. On the other hand, I agree with your sentiment that I'd generally not want Spurs to be a part of something that I really dislike.

Unfortunately, this is the eventual result of the system that FIFA and UEFA allowed to develop over time.
I'm not sure FIFA or UEFA had a choice, TBH. The meritocracy of the football pyramid does not fit with the monetisation of sport. Look around the world, even F1 and the like are owned by investors, churned for profit, and destined for shared revenue, expense caps, and modularity.

Sport has been overtaken by business. And business wants to mitigate risk, fix costs, and maximize revenue. Supporting the Sheffields is a sunk cost the Uniteds of the world no longer care to take. And the international bodies really can't cut off their noses to spite their faces.

The day they took a pound to put a sponsor's name on a shirt, we boarded this train. There were never any other stations to disembark at, either.

Barcelona are still a mess financially - so it's no wonder they would support it. Any opportunity to make a ton of dirty money instead of cutting their cloth to suit - the scumbag cunts.

Back
Top Bottom