European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
It's the Daily Mail, so take it with a gain of salt. Sounds like it could be a disaster though.

Football's European Super League 'will be relaunched NEXT WEEK', with Juventus, Barcelona and Real Madrid 'to reveal new proposals including ditching permanent members' after the plan's collapse last year​

The controversial European Super League appears to not be completely dead as three of the continent's biggest sides are set to relaunch the competition next week.

After years of speculation, plans for the ESL were first unveiled in April 2021 which sent shockwaves through the world of football.

The new league, which did not include promotion or relegation, was launched by 12 'founding members' including Manchester United, Liverpool, Woolwich, Manchester City, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Alongside this, Spanish sides Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Italian counterpats Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan all agreed to join too.

However, the reaction from fans in opposing the plans was so strong that the league fell apart within 48 hours of its launch.

Nine clubs - including all six English clubs - quit the League, with the Premier League sides receiving a fine as punishment.

Now, those clubs are reportedly set to announce the return of the league with new proposals that would no longer mean there were permanent members.

The Telegraph reports that Juventus president Andrea Agnelli is due to speak on Thursday where he will unveil the new plans.

Among the changes will be the introduction of a traditional domestic league qualification and the clubs behind it also say it will allow for the creation of new teams in countries such as Luxembourg as well as cities like Dublin.

UEFA and the Premier League believe the competition is 'dead in the water', but the three that remain believe a deal can still be done at some point.

The ESL was established due to growing discontent at the way UEFA ran its European competitions. The Telegraph claims that the three rebels will challenge what it calls UEFA's 'monopolistic' position on European football at a hearing in the European Court of Justice later this year.

Bloody hell, that’s even worse than the ESL.

Franchises being set up in smaller countries to destroy domestic football there? Piss off.

It just doesn't make any sense, and sounds more like they would like to set up a rival league (instead of a competition) to FIFA/UEFA more than anything else.

If there was a defense of the ESL from purely a business perspective, it was the ability to maintain almost the same levels of revenues without the need for the continued unsustainable financial requirements by the clubs. This almost seems like this setup wouldn't get anywhere close to the financial benefit that the current system does, and would require ungodly amount of investment to start up new clubs.

Looks like it’s coming back with an announcement expected today

Boils my piss the way UEFA & FIFA always try and take the moral high ground when they're both dodgy as fuck (especially considering, in this instance, both organisations were dragging their heels over sanctioning Russian involvement in their competitions).

....The ESL can fuck off, but at least it's not a wolf in sheeps clothing. They're simply un-ashamed corporate football scumbags.

Boils my piss the way UEFA & FIFA always try and take the moral high ground when they're both dodgy as fuck (especially considering, in this, both organisations were dragging their heels over sanctioning Russian involvement in their competitions).

....The ESL can fuck off, but at least it's not a wolf in sheeps clothing. They're simply un-ashamed corporate football scumbags.
The Champions League revamp for 2024 is equally as shit as the Super League. Basically United and Barcelona are struggling to get their shit together on the pitch but they want the revenue those clubs bring off it.

Seems like they’re suggesting some changes to the ESL but it still sounds shit and and I can’t believe they aren’t rebranding and getting Agnelli and Perez to step down as the faces of it.

If there are to be 'no permanent members', therefore possible relegation for the team(s) finishing bottom of the league. Where would 'Dublin FC' play if they got relegated?

Interesting question....

Any un-affiliated franchise club wouldn't be subject to the same FFP constraints as Uefa governed teams so in theory they could just freely spend to avoid relegation.

(No guarantees, but.....)

Boils my piss the way UEFA & FIFA always try and take the moral high ground when they're both dodgy as fuck (especially considering, in this instance, both organisations were dragging their heels over sanctioning Russian involvement in their competitions).

The only reason they are pissed off is because they'll lose out on money.

I was never really against the ESL because it benefitted us. I was against the concept of no relegation or promotion though, that was stupid.

Plus the likelihood of us in it would probably see us sold.

The only reason they are pissed off is because they'll lose out on money.

I was never really against the ESL because it benefitted us. I was against the concept of no relegation or promotion though, that was stupid.

Plus the likelihood of us in it would probably see us sold.

Idealistically, I wanted no part in it; but I completely understand why declining our invite would have been footballing and financial suicide.

Excellent move by us to stay out. The ESL will never takeoff without a significant rebranding and change of key personnel. It will hurt our brand if we try again in its current form.

Back
Top Bottom