European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
We were a bit hasty in paying our fine it appears.

I have no idea if we (or any of the other 5) actually have or not tbh.

Even then; may not be the end of it if we or others feel like going another round with the EPL in court.....

In terms of the broader picture; I'm not suprised this is the verdict and thought it all a bit naive to think we'd hear no more of a drive for an ESL.....

Aside from fans of a certain age and heritage, much of the outrage (other clubs, pundits, media..... and fucking BORIS!!!!) was plastic as fuck. Meanwhile, it was the poor execution of the plan than tripped the breakaway clubs over; not the fact that it represents an illegal scheme that courts will not tolerate. If the clubs want it bad enough; it'll happen... It's just a question of what bridges they're prepared to burn to get it done.

Last edited:
I have no idea if we (or any of the other 5) actually have or not tbh.

Even then; may not be the end of it if we or others feel like going another round with the EPL in court.....

In terms of the broader picture; I'm not suprised this is the verdict and thought it all a bit naive to think we'd hear no more of a drive for an ESL.....

Aside from fans of a certain age and heritage, much of the outrage (other clubs, pundits, media..... and fucking BORIS!!!!) was plastic as fuck. Meanwhile, it was the poor execution of the plan than tripped the breakaway clubs over; not the fact that it represents an illegal scheme that courts will not tolerate. If the clubs want it bad enough; it'll happen... It's just a question of what bridges they're prepared to burn to get it done.

I bet 100% the fans on Twitter saying “just pay the money Levy” for Kounde or Romero or whoever are the same ones who were up in arms at us being in the ESL.

Have we actually left anyway? I know the English clubs said they would but I thought we were contracted in to go through with it.

I bet 100% the fans on Twitter saying “just pay the money Levy” for Kounde or Romero or whoever are the same ones who were up in arms at us being in the ESL.

Have we actually left anyway? I know the English clubs said they would but I thought we were contracted in to go through with it.

...If we are/were still obligated then there's presumably an expensive break clause/action filed against us.

Just guessing tho'.

Good, I think the other 9 clubs (inc us) bent over completely unnecessarily and UEFA we’re taking the piss.

I don't disagree, but am I right in assuming that doesn't mean you want an ESL?

This hasn’t gone away yet btw.

What's worse?

A) The new UEFA CL with massively rigged co-efficient rules.

or

B) A genuine meritocracy driven ESL(*)?

(*Assuming this idea isn't merely a trojan horse to usher in their original plan all along.)

It was never over. It will come back in one form or another within 5-10 years, possibly as a World Super League.

In fact why don’t the PL just rename itself the World Series and not invite anyone else? :sonhmm:

Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga and a Uefa executive committee member, dismissed the Madrid judge’s decision as “a joke” despite Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus insisting they will push ahead with plans for an ESL.
“It’s the same judge as always, so he was always going to rule in a similar fashion,” said Tebas. “There’s a lot of jokes going on in that court.”

Tebas outright called the court and judge a kangaroo court.

I've done a U-turn on this.

Was massively against what I see as the Americanisation of the sport, and removal of the pyramid system relegations/promotions etc runs totally anathema to my sense of fair play.

But...

The more I see clubs like City and Chelsea utterly ignoring FFP, and looking to monopolise the status quo I've come to the conclusion that if we don't want to see the Premier league devolve into another Scottish Premier dominated by two or three clubs with money, the ESL would be the best chance to not only see Spurs to join the elite again, but also keep it a bit more competitive (at least that's the hope)

And is the lesser of two evils.

So I'm now onboard.

So UEFA not pursuing them for forming the European Super League .......

Anyone heard word yet about whether our fines are to be revoked and refunded?

Absolute nonsense if we end up punished and those that refused to pull back don't.

I don't disagree, but am I right in assuming that doesn't mean you want an ESL?

I'm reasonably ambivalent to be honest, and said that from the get go. UEFA were bent over by the G14/ECA into making FFP into a new money beating stick, instead of what it should have been, which just a good governance thing, they've now been bent over by the same group into making what was a largely great competition - the CL - into something which looks much wankier that panders to them (and I say largely as I was never fully happy with the way UEFA were also bent over by the same group into the whole CL failures dropping into the Europa thing either - hardly meriltuous).

Ultimately, the notion of us and a bunch of other clubs actually controlling a European League, the way us and a bunch of other clubs control the PL, needn't have been a terrible thing. The PL has made itself the most lucrative and watched in the world. It's run very much on merit basis, it works and it distributes wealth pretty evenly.

I'm not even outraged at the notion of 15-20 founder members (although if I'm totally honest I'm not sure how happy I'd be if we weren't one of them) as long as there is still a merit based element, and clubs can join that founder member status, written into the funding is a more meritocratic governance system and money is distributed pretty fairly inside and outside the members.

I've done a U-turn on this.

Was massively against what I see as the Americanisation of the sport, and removal of the pyramid system relegations/promotions etc runs totally anathema to my sense of fair play.

But...

The more I see clubs like City and Chelsea utterly ignoring FFP, and looking to monopolise the status quo I've come to the conclusion that if we don't want to see the Premier league devolve into another Scottish Premier dominated by two or three clubs with money, the ESL would be the best chance to not only see Spurs to join the elite again, but also keep it a bit more competitive (at least that's the hope)

And is the lesser of two evils.

So I'm now onboard.
We wont be asked again

Back
Top Bottom