European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Leaked by Der Spiegel, which was same as those which leaked the Man City FFP and various other documents, which turned out to be totally genuine, so don't doubt the validity of document, which also said that PSG, Bayern and Dortmund were joining but with 14 and 30 day delays.

Very much doubt there will be a €150m cost though, who would it be payable to ?, the shareholders, of which all the clubs are equal owners, so it would be left pocket, right pocket transaction in effect.
The formation cost of €10m is what we are unlikely to see again though.
Fuck, we're gonna have to sell Sissoko aren’t we....
:angryscouser:

Like the blessed cabal that is the EU they can kiss my granny's arse for any compo and if they think they will get anything,come down the lane and we will show you what you are going to get ......PAIN ......

This is how bad it's got - there was a tiny bit of me that was hoping this Super League fiasco would go through, so I had a good reason to walk away.
It's ridiculous to think that we feel the need to justify such a decision. The trouble is a lot of people think supporting a team is just a hobby or a past-time and don't appreciate the emotional ties we have with our club. However, the powers-that-be do know how we feel and take full advantage of that fact, and treat us like dirt.
We all have our breaking points with regards to forking out a small fortune to attend live games and I'm getting closer to saying 'enough's enough' every season.

This^ wise words. Long time fans like us have been getting the shaft for years.

I don't think we should stand for it, the ESL was the breaking point for me as well but I am still sitting on the fence about how I am going to react going forward even without the ESL.

If Kane is sold for example and our team need a full rebuild and to start from square one again and our owners are not held accountable for the shambles they have caused from their poor decisions (decisions which were PURPOSEFUL in order to maintain more profit such as not backing Poch when we finished 2nd/3rd) and fans are still forced to shell out top tier prices for mid/low tier football just because of a fancy stadium that makes our owners richer because of it being an "entertainment venue" then that will be it for me, ESL or no ESL.

That's no longer football to me, I refuse to support it.

I saw a fluff piece on Neymar on the beeb earlier and it got me thinking about something I saw on a different post on there earlier about broadcasting rights auctions:

"For almost 30 years, the huge increase in the value of its broadcast rights has driven the transfer fees and player wages that have made the Premier League so popular. "

I thought "It's not the fucking transfer fees and wages that make it popular!"

Which seems obvious, but didn't actually hold up to scrutiny. The more you think about it, the more the outrageous numbers being thrown around go into make the celebrity. It's not the main factor, but it's an important one. The numbers have to get bigger, or else they aren't newsworthy, but that's not sustainable.

:levyeyes:

I can't argue with that, and we obviously need to change things, to either reset the 'wow' factor for attention-grabbing headlines or accept that football isn't going to grab headlines in quite the same way (i.e. just cap wages/fees and tough it out). I know I read a lot more about footie before I became a fan of spurs and it was usually trying to figure out why a certain player was worth X amount. Didn't make me a fan (watching great players did), but it kept my interest.

I think what the ESL model tried to do is to replace the outrageous transfer fees (to some degree) with the US-style draft, which is a where all the players line up in the playground and the big kid gets to pick first. This guarantees eyeballs for the start of the season (for spectacle and after-effects, i.e. the first games).

Putting aside the lack of relegation, this is *one* answer to the problem of escalating the big numbers to get attention.

Anyway, just a thought.

The draft doesn't work that way though. In the NFL, the WORST team in the league gets the number one pick. Also, the salary is capped so if you wish to retain a team for a second year many players have to take paycuts or have to be replaced.

This makes it, in theory, fairer. It means that anyone has a chance to win it.

Trust me, I have supported the Tampa Bay Bucs as long as I have supported Spurs, the Bucs are, in the main, a terrible team, that's me being truthful.

However, this year we won the superbowl, a memory I will never forget as I got to share it with my 8 year old son, the reason we won is because a leader joined our team in Tom Brady and we had a stacked defense and offense full of young and old talent that we built gradually over years because of getting good picks due to our poor positions in the conference.

This year they want to repeat it and win a second superbowl, we have managed to re-sign every single starter we had which is unheard of and likely will not happen again, the reason we managed it is because some players took paycuts to fit into the salary cap because they are desperate to repeat the win and get a second back to back superbowl (something that rarely happens, and I do mean rarely, once before if I remember correctly.)

That in itself tells you how difficult it is for a team to repeat it year after year.

I think the PL would be much better with a salary cap imo, even a draft where they take kids from youth teams and give them a chance to play in PL teams would be better than the current system we have.

The draft doesn't work that way though. In the NFL, the WORST team in the league gets the number one pick. Also, the salary is capped so if you wish to retain a team for a second year many players have to take paycuts or have to be replaced.

This makes it, in theory, fairer. It means that anyone has a chance to win it.

Trust me, I have supported the Tampa Bay Bucs as long as I have supported Spurs, the Bucs are, in the main, a terrible team, that's me being truthful.

However, this year we won the superbowl, a memory I will never forget as I got to share it with my 8 year old son, the reason we won is because a leader joined our team in Tom Brady and we had a stacked defense and offense full of young and old talent that we built gradually over years because of getting good picks due to our poor positions in the conference.

This year they want to repeat it and win a second superbowl, we have managed to re-sign every single starter we had which is unheard of and likely will not happen again, the reason we managed it is because some players took paycuts to fit into the salary cap because they are desperate to repeat the win and get a second back to back superbowl (something that rarely happens, and I do mean rarely, once before if I remember correctly.)

That in itself tells you how difficult it is for a team to repeat it year after year.

I think the PL would be much better with a salary cap imo, even a draft where they take kids from youth teams and give them a chance to play in PL teams would be better than the current system we have.
Oh, cheers, that’s very interesting. Thought it was the other way around, but the point is the same, if diminished a little.

Oh, cheers, that’s very interesting. Thought it was the other way around, but the point is the same, if diminished a little.
Oh I agree for sure mate, no doubt about it. I definitely think the system that the NFL uses (with a few tweaks to fit football) would make the PL more competitive for sure though.

I am sick of seeing the same teams win the PL year in year out, it's boring af tbh. Plus, if anyone could win it, moving up from the lower leagues would be even more motivating for teams, they would be coming up knowing they had a real chance, not just to be the whipping boys of the PL "big six"

Non League is different but still enjoyable in its own way. £200-250 for an ST. Negligible travel costs and only 3 hours out of your Saturday afternoon. And the clubs really appreciate very £1 that goes through the till.

I will renew next season to take me to 2022 and half a century of going to the Lane. Then I will probably call it a day.

GET LOST LEGACY FAN!!

I CANT WAIT FOR SAFE STANDING SO WE CAN ALL DO A FORTNITE FLOSS
SO HAPPY I CAN INSTATWEET DURING GAMES NOW WITH THE NEW STADIUM WIFI!!!

CYA GRANDAD

(disclaimer: I'm joking. What really kills a club is not Levy, players etc - it's fans like yourself simply not going any more.)

Thank god he's cleared that up, didn't know how I was going to get to sleep tonight, been sick with worry...

manchester united GIF

Cracks me up that they are still trying to spin it as anything other than a way to further line their own pockets and help keep the riff raff at arms length from the “elite”.

Looks like the 3 of these teams are screwed under the current football financial ecosystem that they themselves have been instrumental in creating and nurturing. Now that it’s reaching its peak and looks to be unsustainable in the long term they need to find a new model to keep the cogs turning. Well fuck them.

Back
Top Bottom