European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Dat's the thing though.....the appliance of science is inexact due to the admission by the authorities the technology being used is not accurate enough to determine the player's correct position precisely when the ball was kicked therefore human error (eyesight) is still a factor.

Yesterdays game was a classic example of one going for you and one going against, fortunately for VAR (this time) I believe they got both right if you go by the letter of the current rules and accept the use of technology in this way.

Personally (not going to happen) I'd get rid of it all barring the goal line technology, purely on the basis of I'd take human error without technology over human error with it every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Ok so the stats might prove more errors would be made but I'd take that in exchange for the return of actually being able to celebrate a goal and not having to wait up to 7 minutes for that joy to be cancelled out.
Hear hear

Tbf if PL & EFL pledged some money to Scottish football, and Rangers & Celtic entered PL, would that be a bad thing?
As long as we still have a promotion and relegation mechanism it’s still a meritocracy
Premiere clubs already have a ridiculously busy schedule. Why would add to it?

Problem with doing that is that the gap between successful and unsuccessful clubs will widen ad-infinitum. There has to be redistribution and because relegation as a risk threatens clubs unequally it really ain’t the one. That’s why many sports leagues close themselves off and run a draft system.

It’s been mentioned not once on this threat but rugby union in England (the Aviva prem) had been planning this (they’ve now done it for one year due to covid only which is different - but they’ve been debating closing the league off for ages, just never actually done it).

It’s easy for the fans to rule with their emotions but the people actually running the clubs, pouring over the data know the problems. These are not old debates, but they’re taboo on European football because we conflate big brands with community clubs, and think the two are interdependent. I remember chuckling to myself when I was queuing to get into the dortmund game in 2017 at the lads chanting about how they miss the proper footy at WHL (was Wembley) and thinking wow, ur in the champions league and you’ve been in the top flight for decades and you actually think you know proper community footy? Spurs is a behemoth, in community clubs hours from London (south west the nearest prem club I ever had was Southampton and that) people are delighted if they draw a prem club once a decade and talk about it for 30 years! They also don’t really care about results, you turn up just to see the boys. None of this coming on forums spitting your toys out. Hearing these arguments conflating community clubs and global brands as the same on hear is hilarious - you lot don’t know you’re born really ! The two are totally different and the business model is suffering by trying to equalise them.

In 30 years from now how many of the 12 are not still bossing the UCL? And how many new clubs currently not on their level will break in? I’m 32, and can remember the PL virtually right to the beginning, I see virtually no change in the entire period except City. And who’s dropped out? Arguably Leeds. Like what are we really going to see happen, that wouldn’t have happened if the ESL had gone ahead? Nothing, it’s wishful thinking by people who don’t realise they don’t have a clue what community clubs actually are. Spurs is a massive club, it’s a global brand, it ain’t argyle or Macclesfield and never has been - and those two clubs and ones like them have a 1% or less chance of being like us within the next 100-200 years in all honesty - how many have come close in the last 100? They’re distinct entities, one with community links and one with global draw - chucking them together and forcing them to play by the same rules is harming both just like chucking Duke into the NBA would harm both.
You don't make a system competitive by removing competition as would happen in a closed system.

Madrid and Barcelona have been dominating la liga for almost a century, and that cannot be blamed on their recent wealth. Almost every european league is typically dominated by a handful of clubs over an epoch. It is just the nature of the sport.

The talent pool for players is so large, influence of a single player limited, and the career of players long enough that rich clubs can't hog all the quality players ( except for Chelsea's loan system which I think should be curved, and RBL's feeder system which I think shouldn't be allowed).

The real problem plaguing football is the move to prioritize profit over on pitch success, which drives clubs towards off field interests over what happens on the pitch, and a closed system will on exacerbate it.

Make no mistake this esl is aimed at american and asian market not current european club supporters. Games 100% be taken to asia america etc.
So true, especially the asian market, cos they are willing to spend so much of their income on merchandise to buy in to the 'western dream'. i think the intention was to take the esl on the road, like a circus act, teams playing in different cities every week. the whole concept of home and away matches would be abandoned - what's the point in having the same set of supporters watching the same team each week when you could have teams playing to different crowds in different cities each week and really maximising merchandise sales and branding etc. the american travelling salesman ethos.

So true, especially the asian market, cos they are willing to spend so much of their income on merchandise to buy in to the 'western dream'. i think the intention was to take the esl on the road, like a circus act, teams playing in different cities every week. the whole concept of home and away matches would be abandoned - what's the point in having the same set of supporters watching the same team each week when you could have teams playing to different crowds in different cities each week and really maximising merchandise sales and branding etc. the american travelling salesman ethos.
Yep. Last game I went to (Palace 4-0 from last season) I popped into the shop which was heaving and was in a long queue behind a couple who had come over from Korea to see Sonny. They told me they started to follow the club because of him and come over 2-3 times a year.

They each had all 3 replica shirts with his name on the back and plenty more bits. When they got to the guy with a mobile PDQ he told them it was £890 and with no hesitation just swiped the card, wished me well and went onto enjoy their day.

These types of fans are the ones who Levy/ENIC loves and why we went all in on the ESL idea.

And youd eventually have the ridiculous case like america where these teams would just up sticks and be relocated

And their boards are that incompetant theyd still be massively in debt.
Maybe just maybe if boards ran their clubs right we wouldnt have this situation.
Proper use and enforcement of ffp would sort it out but that wont happen

Yep. Last game I went to (Palace 4-0 from last season) I popped into the shop which was heaving and was in a long queue behind a couple who had come over from Korea to see Sonny. They told me they started to follow the club because of him and come over 2-3 times a year.

They each had all 3 replica shirts with his name on the back and plenty more bits. When they got to the guy with a mobile PDQ he told them it was £890 and with no hesitation just swiped the card, wished me well and went onto enjoy their day.

These types of fans are the ones who Levy/ENIC loves and why we went all in on the ESL idea.
I have no problem with that. It is no different to locals moaning that spurs fans take over their pubs on match days and they cannot get a seat etc. Same in seaside resorts. Despite reserving most seats for season ticket holders or members, entrance is only limited by steps taken to ensure segregation and no supporters of other clubs.

Leaked by Der Spiegel, which was same as those which leaked the Man City FFP and various other documents, which turned out to be totally genuine, so don't doubt the validity of document, which also said that PSG, Bayern and Dortmund were joining but with 14 and 30 day delays.

Very much doubt there will be a €150m cost though, who would it be payable to ?, the shareholders, of which all the clubs are equal owners, so it would be left pocket, right pocket transaction in effect.
The formation cost of €10m is what we are unlikely to see again though.

Leaked by Der Spiegel, which was same as those which leaked the Man City FFP and various other documents, which turned out to be totally genuine, so don't doubt the validity of document, which also said that PSG, Bayern and Dortmund were joining but with 14 and 30 day delays.

Very much doubt there will be a €150m cost though, who would it be payable to ?, the shareholders, of which all the clubs are equal owners, so it would be left pocket, right pocket transaction in effect.
The formation cost of €10m is what we are unlikely to see again though.
From what I have read that fee only goes into effect once the league actually starts. As in a ball is kicked.

Which doesn't seem likely if almost all the teams are looking to get out.

Woolwich's execs said that the fee is more in the 8-10 mil range.

Not sure we will be paying £130m. However if something like that was to happen can’t imagine from that point onwards anything Levy did would repair his relationship with the fans. Difficult now as it is.

Back
Top Bottom