European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
A few other posters on here have pointed out, rightly in my opinion, the sheer hypocrisy of UEFA, Sky and other stakeholders in our once beautiful game.
These people have treated genuine fans with contempt for years on end, from the expensive and increasingly fragmented tv channels we are asked to subscribe to and the weird and wonderful kick off times which blight the life’s of those of us who attend the games.
With regard to UEFA, remember the pathetically small allocation of tickets given to Spurs and Liverpool fans for the CL Final.And while a fraction of the available tickets were affordably priced the vast majority were €200 plus.UEFA couldn’t give a toss about us,
The Clubs themselves are no better , they moan about needing more income to safeguard the future of our beautiful game.I say bollocks.Players do not need to cost transfer fees of 40/50/60 million (and we Spurs fans are only too aware those sort of fees can buy you a whole lot of average) Nor do they need to earn salaries of £200k a week and rising.The clubs have only themselves to blame for inflating these markets in a way which is totally unsustainable.It is unnecessary in the extreme.
When renewing my ST for the new season I logged onto my account on the Tottenham website and logged in using my ‘Client Reference Number’- that is what I am ,a client, a number on a spreadsheet.Nothing more, nothing less.Having logged on I then handed over £1060 to renew-that’s over £55 per game to stand behind the goal in the South. And that is more or less the cheapest ST (non concession) in the entire ground.No wonder you see so few teenagers/young adults attending games.The 18 year old me, who stood on the Shelf every game could never have afforded those prices.
I wish I could walk away from the whole bloated, corrupt circus but I can’t-I have loved our Club for 50 years and , sadly perhaps, I always will.
Good luck to Ryan and the lads today.COYS!!!

Heard an idea today to sanction the 12 clubs and that is if the qualify for Europe for next season, they have to start at the prelim rounds along with the wee teams. Bump everyone else up a few places into automatic qualifying rounds etc.

Heard an idea today to sanction the 12 clubs and that is if the qualify for Europe for next season, they have to start at the prelim rounds along with the wee teams. Bump everyone else up a few places into automatic qualifying rounds etc.
Mate, Man City were supposed to be banned from the competition entirely this season and they're in the semifinals.

It's a nice idea but it will never happen.

Mate, Man City were supposed to be banned from the competition entirely this season and they're in the semifinals.

It's a nice idea but it will never happen.
Oh I know. Nice to think of them and the others getting a beefy chap up the hole and we get off with it because we are too crap to qualify.

This. 100%.

I am almost having to talk myself into renewing after attending matches for 49 years. I never thought I would say that.
I haven't had a season ticket for a few years now,and it almost broke me when i gave it up.
Still atteneded games when i could,and ,to be honest probably will still do a few.But after he ESL crap,i am more excited about visiting loads on non league grounds and pubs i never have before.Not sure i will be a partisan supporter of any club,just ground hop. You get fuck all for fan loyalty in football.

I haven't had a season ticket for a few years now,and it almost broke me when i gave it up.
Still atteneded games when i could,and ,to be honest probably will still do a few.But after he ESL crap,i am more excited about visiting loads on non league grounds and pubs i never have before.Not sure i will be a partisan supporter of any club,just ground hop. You get fuck all for fan loyalty in football.

Non League is different but still enjoyable in its own way. £200-250 for an ST. Negligible travel costs and only 3 hours out of your Saturday afternoon. And the clubs really appreciate very £1 that goes through the till.

I will renew next season to take me to 2022 and half a century of going to the Lane. Then I will probably call it a day.

Non League is different but still enjoyable in its own way. £200-250 for an ST. Negligible travel costs and only 3 hours out of your Saturday afternoon. And the clubs really appreciate very £1 that goes through the till.

I will renew next season to take me to 2022 and half a century of going to the Lane. Then I will probably call it a day.
Totally understandable ,but sad it's got to this stage with so many of us.

I don't know what a supporter mandated on the board will do for most any club, especially Spurs. Their authority will be fuck all. The THST isn't shy about voicing their opinions, does anyone expect ENIC to be more receptive just because they're required to let some random sit in the room?

Seems like one of those bullshit PR measures the plutocrats love to use, give a representative of the plebs a fully ceremonial position to placate them.

This. 100%.

I am almost having to talk myself into renewing after attending matches for 49 years. I never thought I would say that.
A few other posters on here have pointed out, rightly in my opinion, the sheer hypocrisy of UEFA, Sky and other stakeholders in our once beautiful game.
These people have treated genuine fans with contempt for years on end, from the expensive and increasingly fragmented tv channels we are asked to subscribe to and the weird and wonderful kick off times which blight the life’s of those of us who attend the games.
With regard to UEFA, remember the pathetically small allocation of tickets given to Spurs and Liverpool fans for the CL Final.And while a fraction of the available tickets were affordably priced the vast majority were €200 plus.UEFA couldn’t give a toss about us,
The Clubs themselves are no better , they moan about needing more income to safeguard the future of our beautiful game.I say bollocks.Players do not need to cost transfer fees of 40/50/60 million (and we Spurs fans are only too aware those sort of fees can buy you a whole lot of average) Nor do they need to earn salaries of £200k a week and rising.The clubs have only themselves to blame for inflating these markets in a way which is totally unsustainable.It is unnecessary in the extreme.
When renewing my ST for the new season I logged onto my account on the Tottenham website and logged in using my ‘Client Reference Number’- that is what I am ,a client, a number on a spreadsheet.Nothing more, nothing less.Having logged on I then handed over £1060 to renew-that’s over £55 per game to stand behind the goal in the South. And that is more or less the cheapest ST (non concession) in the entire ground.No wonder you see so few teenagers/young adults attending games.The 18 year old me, who stood on the Shelf every game could never have afforded those prices.
I wish I could walk away from the whole bloated, corrupt circus but I can’t-I have loved our Club for 50 years and , sadly perhaps, I always will.
Good luck to Ryan and the lads today.COYS!!!
This is how bad it's got - there was a tiny bit of me that was hoping this Super League fiasco would go through, so I had a good reason to walk away.
It's ridiculous to think that we feel the need to justify such a decision. The trouble is a lot of people think supporting a team is just a hobby or a past-time and don't appreciate the emotional ties we have with our club. However, the powers-that-be do know how we feel and take full advantage of that fact, and treat us like dirt.
We all have our breaking points with regards to forking out a small fortune to attend live games and I'm getting closer to saying 'enough's enough' every season.

I saw a fluff piece on Neymar on the beeb earlier and it got me thinking about something I saw on a different post on there earlier about broadcasting rights auctions:

"For almost 30 years, the huge increase in the value of its broadcast rights has driven the transfer fees and player wages that have made the Premier League so popular. "

I thought "It's not the fucking transfer fees and wages that make it popular!"

Which seems obvious, but didn't actually hold up to scrutiny. The more you think about it, the more the outrageous numbers being thrown around go into make the celebrity. It's not the main factor, but it's an important one. The numbers have to get bigger, or else they aren't newsworthy, but that's not sustainable.

:levyeyes:

I can't argue with that, and we obviously need to change things, to either reset the 'wow' factor for attention-grabbing headlines or accept that football isn't going to grab headlines in quite the same way (i.e. just cap wages/fees and tough it out). I know I read a lot more about footie before I became a fan of spurs and it was usually trying to figure out why a certain player was worth X amount. Didn't make me a fan (watching great players did), but it kept my interest.

I think what the ESL model tried to do is to replace the outrageous transfer fees (to some degree) with the US-style draft, which is a where all the players line up in the playground and the big kid gets to pick first. This guarantees eyeballs for the start of the season (for spectacle and after-effects, i.e. the first games).

Putting aside the lack of relegation, this is *one* answer to the problem of escalating the big numbers to get attention.

Anyway, just a thought.

This. 100%.

I am as old as your season ticket.

You have seen good, bad, boring, crap, etc, etc, etc. Surely you're not going to ditch your ST purely because of the ESL debacle?

As you know I only recently got my ST and they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hand before I give it back.

I've been a life member of Wealdstone for years, I recently became a share holder too in order to help the club.

The way they responded was like I had given them £5m, I didn't it was quite a lot less, but I instantly felt part of them.

I am as old as your season ticket.

You have seen good, bad, boring, crap, etc, etc, etc. Surely you're not going to ditch your ST purely because of the ESL debacle?

As you know I only recently got my ST and they will have to pry it from my cold, dead hand before I give it back.

Not just the ESL debacle mate. It's modern football in general. I reserve the right to change my mind again though.

its about being careful of what you wish for..... you want the club to have nice things and be successful, to be part of the top six club.... to be considered 'elite'.... all becomes supply and demand.... West Ham will soon understand

I've been a life member of Wealdstone for years, I recently became a share holder too in order to help the club.

The way they responded was like I had given them £5m, I didn't it was quite a lot less, but I instantly felt part of them.
Wealdstone is one I haven't done,so on my list. And fairly near Ruislip Manor station, always a plus being near the station.

Back
Top Bottom