FA Cup & Carabao Cup changes for 20/21.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I genuinely have no idea what this means... By all means flesh out your point if you can be arsed.

Post #5 of this thread.

....But broadly; ad income and sponsorship of EPL & CL dwarfs anything the FA or Caraboa (FFS!) can muster. I have no idea how you begin to address that as it requires EPL & Eufa to relinquish a huge amount of a pie they already own.

So there's two questions there, right?

1. How do you structure the competitions and divvy up the money?

and

2. How do you create the political coalitions to make that happen?

Dealing with #2 first, shit, maybe it's impossible. We have the game we have because the biggest handful of European clubs have either formally captured or informally bribed and corrupted all the levers of power in the game. Their aim is to centralize the game into a pan-European Super League that the megabrands maintain automatic entry to. They will destroy our game if a countervailing force isn't created, so while I don't exactly know how, it is imperative to figure it out. Fans have everything at stake, but you reach a certain point and the players and their agents have a lot at stake too (depressing wages is a major goal of the club ownership class), so maybe there's a potential coalition there, as well as all the clubs that will be left for dead.

In terms of #1, I have nine million ideas, but the thing you need to strike at the heart of is that durable mini-league of super clubs that have a stranglehold on all the CL revenue. Some of the fixes are obvious. The market pool element of CL revenue that automatically gives more money to teams from bigger leagues have always been absurd, and the new coefficient pool that rewards teams that are already richer and more successful is even worse. And the structure that takes 4 teams from all of the top leagues means the superclubs are all but guaranteed to be in the group stages every single year.

I would say bring back the old European Cup format, maybe make it at most open to two teams per league, but one would be better. Then bring back the Cup Winners Cup and make the Europa League the sprawling, expansive tournament that then features a ton of the top brands. Take the entire TV contract for those events and divvy up the shares and pay them directly to the UEFA associations, not the clubs.

(Maybe there's some way for the San Marino's to get less, but the Belgium's and Greece's should not be getting less)

Maybe I am relying on the past year too much but I don't see how that would change much.

Liverpool- didn't care about top 3 since they knew they were getting it through the league so doubtful they try any harder
City- had CL wrapped up and put out a decent side in the SF- I doubt they change anything since they already had top 3 wrapped up
United- Made SF's, had a fairly strong side in SF, likely top 3 team at the time of the game hard to see much they change
Chelsea- made finals, hard to see them changing much, maybe a little more energy in the final since they would have needed to win it for CL but they made the finals not much more could have been done
Woolwich- won it so hard to see them changing the approach

Now we get to a few teams that maybe would have changed:

Spurs- obviously a weakened team but we were dealing with injuries and had Jose that supposedly takes these Cups seriously, maybe some small changes but not much likely
Leicester- went out to Chelsea with a fairly strong line-up, also trying to maintain their top 3 position
Wolves- went out to United in a tough draw, not sure they could do much more

Anyone else is not good enough to win it no matter what they do. They need luck the same as they do now. Making it a CL spot doesn't change anything for them.

Maybe dropping the CL spot to the team that advances furthest if the winners already have it helps make teams push harder to advance, but I am not sure it would have much of a difference on the winner or even SF.

It's shit like this that makes me want to give up watching contemporary football and just watch matches from the good old days when people cared about the cups.

Giving a CL spot to a team that wins the FA Cup? What a mess! There used to be a competition for that - it was called the Cup Winners' Cup. There used to be a competition for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place league finishers and League Cup winners - it was called the UEFA Cup. And, finally, there was a competition for the team that won its domestic league - it was called the European Cup.

I was disgusted with the dropping of extra time in League Cup ties last season and I'm disgusted with the dropping of FA Cup Replays for this season. The CL has devalued every other competition and there are too many teams that are nothing but show ponies for the CL.

For me, the one positive in all this is that we're not in the CL this season and have a shot at putting a run of form together and winning the league. Bollocks to everything else.

It's UEFA who call the shots on qualification, not the domestic FA/PL

3.01 UEFA member associations (hereinafter associations) may enter a certain number of clubs for the competition through their top domestic championship, in accordance with the association coefficient rankings, drawn up in accordance with Annex D. No more than four clubs may qualify for the competition through each domestic championship. These rankings also determine the associations’ positions in the access list ( Annex A), which in turn determines the stage at which each club enters the competition.

3.02 Associations are represented on the following basis:

1. one representative: winner of the top domestic championship;
  2. two representatives: winner and runner-up of the top domestic championship;
  3. three representatives: winner, runner-up and third-placed club in the top domestic championship;
  4. four representatives: winner, runner-up, third- and fourth-placed clubs in the top domestic championship.

I'm all for supporting the NHS, but this seems like an odd move unless the government put their foot down.

Wtf are "Man City local residents"? Tossers who support City that live near Wembley?

Hopefully it will be a ballot of some sort of NHS/Local club ST holders and members if that is how it is going to happen.
What's the point of having "Local" people at the game if they have no affiliation.
Another thing I would do is hold the final at a stadium that only has a capacity of at least half that of Wembley. Possibly smaller than that if social distancing allows. That way the atmosphere will benefit in my opinion.
I think 8000 people in a 35 to 40 thousand capacity venue would be better than holding it at Wembley.

I’m sorry but, as someone who has worked in the NHS and has family who have had their whole clinical careers in the NHS, why the fuck should they get priority for this? Utter shambles. We’ve given plenty of support to the NHS this year. Millions upon millions raised for their staff charities. Facilities given over for free by all kinds of businesses. The cultish worship in this country of the NHS is up there with the bleedin’ Royals.

I’m sorry but, as someone who has worked in the NHS and has family who have had their whole clinical careers in the NHS, why the fuck should they get priority for this? Utter shambles. We’ve given plenty of support to the NHS this year. Millions upon millions raised for their staff charities. Facilities given over for free by all kinds of businesses. The cultish worship in this country of the NHS is up there with the bleedin’ Royals.

It was probably a political sweetener to get it signed off. Otherwise it would be "why the fuck are football fans giving preferential treatment when I can't visit my nan e.t.c."

Fucking joke of a decision regarding tickets.

...although saying that, I've got a mate that lives in N17 - maybe I should change my address on my Spurs account to hers! Sod the rest of you.

:levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom