FC Koln

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some of you may be like me and are a huge fan of European footy aswell as our Tottenham Hotspur. So i wonder what you all think of the FC Koln fans reaction to the team being relegated to Bundesliga 2 after Lukas Podolski etc got them relegated.

I for one applaud them, their club, their shirt. Lets hope Podolski continues his team form into next year and brings the Scum down too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHGMwL2yhCs[/youtube]

Think it would depend on the circumstances. Koln have been dreadful and it's no surprise they're in this position. If our team went down it would surely be because none of the players cared or fought, but aren't Koln basically shit, bar Podolski?

This is the complete opposite to English football. While you can't really want this in your grounds, we need a middle ground. Fact is the passive aggressivism of our stewards and general policing of everyday fans could do with a dose of fan power. We as fans have a lot to learn from our European neighbours.

Flav said:
dose of fan power.
Not for nothing "there is no such thing as society" as a sentiment comes from old Albion.

The level of supporter organisation into unified wholes seems to have no real parallel in England outside of firms that tend not to have a custodial interest of the sport and club in mind. Who on earth could orchestrate the shirt shame parade we saw in Italy in England, even if stewards/ob were not an issue? Do those kinds of networks with confirmed membership exist? I doubt it. The only way supporters actually seem to have leverage in the PL is if they have a stake in the property, like at Chelsea, and even so, it's possible that Abramovich has figured out a way to outmanoeuvre them.

That's why I was so excited about the #Tottenhamultras project, since it suggested a kind of collective body that could organise itself into one of many potential supporter groups that can exert pressure on the club. I don't think that was your motivation at all, at least not in a formal sense, but it was interesting to see it as a proof of concept.

In France (but not anymore at PSG), often a person not only supports a club, but is also associated with a specific supporters' group, with a specific section of the stadium reserved for the group. So you used to be not only PSG, but then also Auteuil, and then also Lutèce Falco. In São Paulo, you're not only Corinthians, but you're also Gavioẽs da fiel, which has 93k members and operates sort of like a supplemental government. Even MLS manages this; when the Chicago Fire was inaugurated, they immediately gave "Section 8" to the organised supporters, and there were quickly a few groups—Barnburners, Ultras, etc. And I also know that these groups met repeatedly with the GM of the team and discussed concerns, etc. with him.

I'm not saying anyone here is up for that sort of thing (organising an army), nor do I know if it's even possible. But this is the context in which the supporters have to think.

Incidentally, it seems (to me) like supporters in England these days coalesce into action groups over specific objectives: getting rid of Steve Kean, saying no to Stratford, wanting our Woolwich back, demanding the truth about Hillsborough. The above groups have no such political raisons d'être. They want the club to succeed and do well, and they sing for the shirt in good and in bad (which is part of why the PSG groups felt so betrayed when they were kicked out of the stadium).

So though it's risky (stadium bans for everyone!), greater organisation—in good and bad—seems the only way forward. Maybe TFC should take a page from GdF and organise a samba carnival down Tottenham High Road to celebrate finishing nth. :gomes: :sandro: :gio:

People in England are passionate, but the mentality of organizing yourself into mass groups has died out in society in general.....demos, strikes etc are not the same either these days.

I also think the average geezer feels a bit silly with a flag, or meeting up to make a 50 square meter banner. But then the result is football matches that feel like your at the tennis.

Shame really. Ive lived in Stockholm and while the football is a bit of joke, the fans can be amazing I went to AIK (Stockholm) v Gothenburg some years back, and the entire width of the stadium behind one goal had a banner with huge lettering saying:

EAST VERSUS WEST: STOCKHOLM VERSUS WANKERS

Imagine that back home?!

Hire a low-loader, all jump on the back, drive up and down the Tottenham High Road with a massive number 3 if we finish 3rd?

Done.

Éperons said:
So though it's risky (stadium bans for everyone!), greater organisation—in good and bad—seems the only way forward. Maybe TFC should take a page from GdF and organise a samba carnival down Tottenham High Road to celebrate finishing nth. :gomes: :sandro: :gio:
a Fighting Cock conga! :dude:

Back
Top Bottom