Fergie Case Study - Harvard Biz Review

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I saw some discussion (copy and pasting of the article's abstract and first two paragraphs) in the Swansea match thread...figured it deserved its own small thread...could lead to interesting conversation.

aka home on wednesday night with too much kalik gold.

While I admittedly only bought my copy today and have yet to read through it in its entirety, one aspect that I found interesting right off the bat is how despite being a perceived squad of "the best" talent in the game, management is still capable of designating stars vs. "other players" (as depicted in the telegraph article picture of the lecture hall). I had been under the impression, which is most likely based on my foreign interpretation of the game, that teams like Man City, and Man U, had somehow bred a "holier than thou" culture where all players were "key" and management didn't, or couldn't, interfere with their diva status on the simple basis that they were contracted to the clubs they were contracted to.

While its easy to say RVP and Rooney are "star" players, is Fergie going rogue when he would categorize all but 3-5 players as "others"...making them entirely expendable? I completely understand that the sport is a business and you have to take emotion and player sentiment out of the management structure..so while im not entirely surprised that players like Kagawa and Scholes can be and are viewed as expendable products it still seems like pretty a pretty bad ass way (takes guts) to shape the locker room of a top flight organization.

I would argue that there's different views on your own squad and others. Every player in your own squad is key, for they can all make or break a game at times and all have their veins of extroardinary form. I would also argue that there are players more important to Man Utd than RVP and to a lesser extent Rooney.

Michael Carrick for instance is a lot more important when it comes to keeping the ball and using it well than both of those players, yet he recieves less public acclaim and is often slated in the public eye. Another player who was regarded with the outmost respect and admiration by the very same dressing room prior to his departure was Park. While not always a starter he was regarded as a very important player among the staff and players there.

While you cannot ignore players such as RVP and Rooney, the players you truly want and need to stop, should they play, is the player that keeps the team ticking over, and that is players such as Carrick and Scholes more so than RVP.

Take Swansea as another example, if you can stifle Britton/De Guzman/Ki/Hernandez, you have in effect halted Swansea in a more effective way than if you focus your attention on Michu and Dyer.

To summarise, the notion of key player is slightly different from a tactical point of view than that of the average pundit/fan as they too often focus solely on who was second last and last on the ball when a goal is scored. Whereas a manager often seek to stop the player who began the attack in the first place.

That is my intertpretation of the matter at least. :)

It makes perfect sense, you have to stop the other teams best players. The main problem is when you don't have good enough players to deal with them. Then all you can do is stick everybody behind the ball.

Back
Top Bottom