Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m actually quite sad to see him go. He gives us the hoofball option if things are looking bleak with 10-15 minutes to go, which we may actually need if this title race gets serious come March/April. He’s proved this season that he can have an effect on games.

1 million is nothing in today’s financial climate aswell, i don’t know that it’s worth losing the option he give us even if it is only for 6 more months.

The only way this makes sense to me
Is if he is making way for us to sign someone that makes us stronger in our problem area (CM). Although I would much sooner see n’koudu, Jansen, Vorm or even (forgive me for saying this) wanyama leave because they add absolutely nothing right now where as Fernando has shown some value.

Janssen isn’t registered in the squad so wouldn’t free up any space. I think Vorm is out of contract at the end of the season anyway, and will need a home grown third keeper spot IMO. N’Koudou needs letting loose if he isn’t getting opportunities.

Nobody is buying Wanyama.

But is essence, selling Llorente is madness (unless we are buying someone) but we do have to sell before we can buy.

It opens up a foreign trained spot which we need as getting a suitable trained British player is almost impossible. If he is not going to play then there is no point him being here. If Levy can spin it out until end of January to allow him to play against Tranmere and cover Son's absence all the better.

I think Llorente is massively respected behind the scenes but now is a good time for him to move on.
I have no idea why he’s been used so little and it will continue to be one of my biggest criticisms of Poch.

Even worse is the Janssen scenario. Feels like we ruined the guys career and left him hanging out to dry somewhere.
Even Poch couldn’t care less about him, and I personally think it’s awful from us.

"When is he coming back? No, he's not coming back. He's injured. Maybe you know better than me? But I haven't seen him since the summer, I haven't met him again. I don't know."

Pretty cuntish answer to be honest

I think Llorente is massively respected behind the scenes but now is a good time for him to move on.
I have no idea why he’s been used so little and it will continue to be one of my biggest criticisms of Poch.

Even worse is the Janssen scenario. Feels like we ruined the guys career and left him hanging out to dry somewhere.
Even Poch couldn’t care less about him, and I personally think it’s awful from us.

"When is he coming back? No, he's not coming back. He's injured. Maybe you know better than me? But I haven't seen him since the summer, I haven't met him again. I don't know."

I agree with you. Considering how well loved Poch is and how he seems to get on with all his staff and players it really surprises me the way this situation has developed. I thought Janssen did ok for us, was a good strong centre forward who held up the ball and brought others into play very well. His lack of goals was a problem but like Llorente was hardly going to do much playing for 5 minutes every week coming on as a sub.

I did hear that a potential problem was his refusal to go on loan to Brighton I think it was?

Llorente has played 23 minutes of PL football in 19 games, Oliver Skipp has already played over 100. We do not need him at all. Yes he's won a few high balls when we have been truly desperate and hooffing the ball forward but we can just put a CB up front if we want to do that. It's best for all parties that he move on.

Janssen can only blame himself for the situation he's in. After his awful first season we arranged a loan to Brighton where he could learn about the PL, work with a Spurs gaffer but he turned his nose up for some inexplicable reason. We set out a pathway for him to succeed with us and it involved cutting his teeth at a lesser club, Poch was never going to forgive him for refusing to go. Even Harry Kane had to go on loan to develop, there is no shame in it. If Vincent thought that at 21 and with one season of Eredivisie football under his belt, that he could get snooty then he was off his tits. He ended up in the Turkish league where he was again shite and seems to have picked up a serious foot injury. He should have listened to the manager.

It is not wise to draw your own conclusions, unless you know for sure what Janssen has said or done.

I agree with you. Considering how well loved Poch is and how he seems to get on with all his staff and players it really surprises me the way this situation has developed. I thought Janssen did ok for us, was a good strong centre forward who held up the ball and brought others into play very well. His lack of goals was a problem but like Llorente was hardly going to do much playing for 5 minutes every week coming on as a sub.

I did hear that a potential problem was his refusal to go on loan to Brighton I think it was?

Assuming the loan refusal was true, I think to go as far as saying we wrecked Jansen's career is s bit harsh...

Terrible, short-sighted decision on his part... That loan would have been infinitely more beneficial than fucking off to Turkey to battle it out with a bunch of other misfit STs in what is ultimately an inferior league...

He's still young, just clearly not gonnna cut it at this level. There's money to be earned all over the world. Just needs to go back to basics and find his level....

Assuming the loan refusal was true, I think to go as far as saying we wrecked Jansen's career is s bit harsh...

Terrible, short-sighted decision on his part... That loan would have been infinitely more beneficial than fucking off to Turkey to battle it out with a bunch of other misfit STs in what is ultimately an inferior league...

He's still young, just clearly not gonnna cut it at this level. There's money to be earned all over the world. Just needs to go back to basics and find his level....
I assume there is more to this than we know. Perhaps Poch has seen enough of this fella to know his level. On the flip side I wonder if Janssen could have done more to try to prove himself with the right attitude to prove the doubters wrong.

I know he is finished with us. I was hoping for so much more from the lad and guess I would have loved for him to turn it around and show his quality. If the Celtic rumour is true I think he could do well up there. A good level for him I think.

I think if Llorente hadn't broken his arm the summer we signed him, he probably could have hit the ground running. His condition wasn't great when he arrived and we've seen so many times how players struggle under Poch if they are physically behind the rest of the group. Not having a proper pre-season is a huge issue.

Think we are still pissed at him not going to West Brom for 25m

It is not wise to draw your own conclusions, unless you know for sure what Janssen has said or done.

No but the we can take that to the transfer window thread too or Eriksens contract or any situation that exists.

We know absolutely nothing, so its unwise to think anything really then...?
All I know is that if we have zero intention of ever using a player, for whatever reason, they should be sold.
And if they refuse to move, they should be used.

I think Janssen was given plenty of opportunities to prove he was worthy of playing for Spurs. Unfortunate for him he couldn't sort out a permanent move, but he was basically done at this club. My mind boggles if the Brighton thing is true.

I think Janssen was given plenty of opportunities to prove he was worthy of playing for Spurs. Unfortunate for him he couldn't sort out a permanent move, but he was basically done at this club. My mind boggles if the Brighton thing is true.

Tottenham's Vincent Janssen rejects move to Brighton

But I agree - Janssen was given plenty of chances in his first season with us and to be fair to him showed some excellent hold up play at times. He and Son had a good partnership together but the goals just didn't come for him.

If he had scored on his league debut against Everton, it may all have been different for him. Instead, the goalkeeper was a world class save to stop him and in our following game he missed an absolute sitter against Palace. The rest is history.

I thought Janssen did ok for us, was a good strong centre forward who held up the ball and brought others into play very well. His lack of goals was a problem but like Llorente was hardly going to do much playing for 5 minutes every week coming on as a sub.

I won’t draw my own conclusions on the rest as I don’t know what Janssen has been up to but I thought he was useless for us, sorry.

I thought the Brighton move was a transfer rather than loan. Janssen was playing for Holland on 31st August and expecting to play for Tottenham. Suddenly Llorente has been bought and as he was abroad, he must have been telephoned and told Brighton wanted him. No chance to really think about it, talk to his family. bit unfair really and I do not blame him for considering it a backward step and thinking he could win his place back. He then found out he could not be named in the squad and went abroad which was the only option left.

Back
Top Bottom