FIFA to limit no of players loaned out (Chelsea !)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think any club has a monopoly? Chelsea aren't even dominant in the market.
I mean, I agree that continued player acquisition might lead to a monopoly, but there are mechanisms in place to break that up.
A monopoly doesn’t have to be one club, it can be a cartel of clubs (like the big tech companies), in that sense the ‘super clubs’ are a monopoly as a whole in their buying power and especially in each domestic league.
Now holding colossal squads and subsidiaries is a definite sign of centralization of market power.

ATM I see no mechanism that can break the monopoly group and not just the dominance of a single club

Players are assets. Why should wealthy clubs (companies) be prevented from using their wealth to accumulate and develop assets in their industry?

Clubs should be allowed to buy as many players as they want, but competition rules should prevent them from loaning players out. That is all.

If clubs can loan players, then why shouldn't wealthy individuals be allowed to do the same. FIFA currently prohibits third party ownership of players.

In any case, this behaviour is extremely anti-competitive. Chelsea regularly outbid other clubs for players they basically have next to no intention to play, and are contributing to the transfer fee inflation.

A monopoly doesn’t have to be one club, it can be a cartel of clubs (like the big tech companies), in that sense the ‘super clubs’ are a monopoly as a whole in their buying power and especially in each domestic league.
Now holding colossal squads and subsidiaries is a definite sign of centralization of market power.

ATM I see no mechanism that can break the monopoly group and not just the dominance of a single club
But it doesn't centralise market power. Great players still rise through historically conventional routes.
The other way of looking at big clubs having large squads is to say they are investing in the game. A talented 17 year old getting good wages and a loan deal doesn't need to worry about making ends meet and finding a club.

But it doesn't centralise market power. Great players still rise through historically conventional routes.
The other way of looking at big clubs having large squads is to say they are investing in the game. A talented 17 year old getting good wages and a loan deal doesn't need to worry about making ends meet and finding a club.

Talented 17 year olds will get good wages as far down as league 1. They don't need to be at Chelsea or Man city for that. And I fully support Chelsea's right to have a squad as large as it likes. I just think they should not be allowed to loan their players out to other clubs anywhere in the world.

So big clubs can continue to invest in the game and actually take responsibility for the development of the players in their charge, rather than farming them out to other clubs who would have potentially signed them anyway if they had not gazumped the wages on offer.

Talented 17 year olds will get good wages as far down as league 1. They don't need to be at Chelsea or Man city for that. And I fully support Chelsea's right to have a squad as large as it likes. I just think they should not be allowed to loan their players out to other clubs anywhere in the world.

So big clubs can continue to invest in the game and actually take responsibility for the development of the players in their charge, rather than farming them out to other clubs who would have potentially signed them anyway if they had not gazumped the wages on offer.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom