Gallas, Top Lad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gallas disagrees with Wenger

Tottenham defender William Gallas believes former boss Arsene Wenger is wrong to dismiss the Capital One Cup.

William Gallas: Disagrees with Arsene Wenger's view on trophies

The Woolwich manager claimed last week that winning domestic cups is less important than qualifying for the UEFA Champions League, despite the Gunners going seven years without a trophy.

But as Gallas and his Spurs team-mates prepare for Wednesday's Capital One Cup tie at Norwich, the ex-Woolwich centre-back is adamant trophies are everything to a player.
"For me, a trophy is something you lift at the end of the season and I know it's a fantastic feeling," said Gallas.

"It doesn't happen many times through your career, so for me to finish second or fourth isn't the same as finishing top, as champions. It's completely different.
"You feel different because you are the best team - the best player. You are so happy to lift a trophy - it's the real thing to do.

"It is a long time since Tottenham have lifted a trophy and I don't know which one we are going to lift.
"But for sure we want to lift one - any one will be pretty good so we will wait and see."
Fighting

Tottenham are fighting on several fronts and bounced back from a draw against Maribor and a defeat to Chelsea to beat Southampton and move into the top four of the Premier League.
When asked if Andre Villas-Boas' team can win both domestic Cups as well as finish fourth in the Premier League, the 35-year-old defender said: "Why not? We have to be strong in the heart.
"The manager is a competitor - he is a warrior - he wants to win everything. Every game, we have meetings and it's the same - he wants to win, win, win.
"We will try to win all competitions, but we know it's very difficult because we play so many games and some players are very tired.
"They play for the national team as well, so it's not easy. But when you are professional and you play for a big club you have to be ready for this.
"All the players know what they have to do. If they are tired on the pitch, they use their heads. That means they are very clever and have experience, which is very good for them.
"After our draw in Europe and our loss to Chelsea we had to win at Southampton. The manager talked to us before the game and said we have to try to get back to winning ways.
"We want to finish the season well, so it is very important for us to win - to try to win every game.
"We have to play Norwich next, which will be a difficult game. Then we have Wigan, so we just have to be on top form at home."

"The manager is a competitor - he is a warrior - he wants to win everything. Every game, we have meetings and it's the same - he wants to win, win, win."

This is the most important thing. We need to instil a winning mentality in our club which we've been lacking for a long long time. With AVB we'll go about doing it the right way as well, we're in good hands.

Reckon he waxes that dome?

Wanger stripped him of the captaincy when he called their team out for not putting enough effort in. Gallas demands the same doggedness that he displays of his teammates, which I quite like about him.

Despite his histrionics at Brum a few years back I've realised I respect him as a player, which is rare indeed for anyone who has played for them.

Hilarious when Harry made him captain at 2-3 Scum away. Showed that day what it was all about.

One of those players who has one bad game, and people start talking about him hanging his boots up. But he brings so much to our defence in terms of leadership and drive.

Hilarious when Harry made him captain at 2-3 Scum away. Showed that day what it was all about.

One of those players who has one bad game, and people start talking about him hanging his boots up. But he brings so much to our defence in terms of leadership and drive.
He's captained france too hasn't he? Probably the most experienced player in our starting lineup and some of the fans are whining about him wearing the armband.

Ex chelsea and Woolwich, but right now he's a yid.

I can relate to people being uncomfortable with ex-scum and ex-nazis playing for us, to be honest. But I've been impressed with Gallas since he came here, fair play to him.

I'm not his biggest fan, he was fucking woeful against Chelsea. Would rather see Vertonghen & Caulker/Kaboul at CB once BAE returns. What the fuck do I know! :avblol:

He always gives 100% whatever team he plays for and whichever team he's playing against. He's one of the few examples where it's good to have no allegiances, just a full effort to the task at hand. He has his off days like against Chelsea, but also his on days like at Old Trafford and St Mary's. He's one of those players whose negatives are scrutinised so much more than his positives. But he brings so much to the team that isn't really noticed by the fans so much as the players.

Nor have I ever understood W****r's attitude to the League Cup. The final's miles away from the end of the season, you can play the kids up to the semis, what's the problem if you produce performances like tonight's?

He sets an example and has a winning mentality, and, contrary to what some suggest, he's not a crap defender either. Sure, he does make some mistakes, but he's still a very capable player and it's clear he still have the drive to win trophies when players a decade younger than him are probably more worried about where their new man bag is going to come from.

I don't really care that he's an ex-gooner. Hell, they hate him anyway. That's good enough for me, much like Ade.

Weirdly, the only reservation I've ever had about him, (regardless of his Club history) was that he comes across as a blamer, if the goal is his fault, he'll instantly point at and berate someone else...

...funnily enough, the 'disruptive' influence he's seemed to have had at BOTH Chelsea & ArseAnal have been of mild amusement and have gone some way to upsetting BOTH clubs at various times... the 'sit-in' at St Andrews was hilarious, (even though it did show a lack of leadership, and highlighted the 'blamer' thing mentioned earlier)

But to be fair to him, he pretty much saved us 3 points on Sunday, as at least ONE of those clearances prevented Southampton equalising/winning!

When he's good, he's VERY good... when he's bad, he'll point at Caulker/Walker!

I find it difficult to hate any Tottenham player....in fact, I don't even try.

There are seldom few players who have alliances, fewer still who aren't from England (not that they don't have an alliance in their homeland)....and Gallas has been pretty good for us, by and large.

Furthermore, his attitude is one of someone who has won lots and considers winning, no matter what it is, a good thing - for that reason, he deserves praise, not scorn.

I find it difficult to hate any Tottenham player....in fact, I don't even try.

I refer my learne'd friend to Exhibits A & B... case for the defence:

_39307037_ben203.jpg
sol_1093799a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom