Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Imo, against teams like Pool, need to start Steve B. Need his pace and ability to track back. And, I feel like he is on the verge of breaking through. Getting in a lot of good spaces.

But Bale is perfect for teams that pack it in. He can help us unlock those games. Yesterday was very encouraging. Got in very dangerous positions, had 8 shots, most of which were legit scoring chances. Not crazy to say he could have had a hat trick if even a bit more clinical.

Need 'em both to come good - lotta games coming up.

Good points but frankly, the opportunities Steve B missed in the reverse fixture at Anfield still give me nightmares. I would like to see Bale start this one. Of course he won't Jose will start with Steve B.

Mourinho says Bale, who is on a season loan from Real Madrid, has made clear that he prefers to play on the right wing.

"It was something that we spoke when we joined us, he was very objective with me, by saying he doesn't feel he is a left winger like he was before, he doesn't feel like he is a No 10 like he was before, too," he said.

"The position that he likes to play is the position where we are playing him every minute we give him, which is the right side of the attack.

Surprised me a lot. Must mean Bale thinks he has the legs to play rwf.

Bale when he was here before was the main man and was given the ball as much as possible. That is not happening this time around and will not until he impresses his team mates more. Ndombele is now showing how good he can be and his team mates will give him the ball more as they do to Kane. Bale has done very little so far but at times he does not see much of the ball. Last Monday against Wycombe he got more of the ball and showed what he can do but the finishing was off. If and it is a big if he starts converting these chances then he will receive the ball more often increasing his opportunities to shine. It is a bit chicken and egg situation, whereby until he starts converting the chances, he will receive less opportunities and with less opportunities he is less likely to score.
I hope he starts Sunday and plays 90 mins again and shines. He may not be ready to start again midweek but if we can get a performance out of him once a week that will be a big step forward.

Including the manager?
Preferably yes.

But in the end it doesn't matter. I dont believe we currently have the squad to be challenging at the top of the league, it's arguable that we can challenge for top 4. The squad needs an overhaul that is going to reflect the managers game plan. I'm not fond of JM's game plan but if were sticking with it we may as well get the players in who can execute it. If we change him, same for the new guy. Just have to be sure we are sticking with him because i dont think many other managers will share his plan, so will have problems with the squad they inherit being a poor fit for their plan.

But back to the initial point, Bale, imo, just isnt up to it any more. He's not terrible i think its just not there anymore other than in odd flashes. I'd rather free the cost of him up for the squad refresh. I also think there's a wider more philosophical point, keeping him harks back to the past, time to look to the future for me.

had his chance tonight, and was woeful. In fact he couldn't even wait to get off the pitch when he was subbed.

He's done, ship back to Madrid now, tbh I can see him retiring soon as you can see he doesn't give a solitary toss about playing football anymore.

Not been the reunion we had all hoped it would be. Maybe his body or hunger or a combination of both but it has not been a successful loan.

I'm going to stick up for him. It's the beginning of February and he's started his 2nd league game.

Whatever bullshit is fed to us about his 'fitness' i don't think any player is going to be anywhere near their best level if they start 2 league games in 6 months.

He may well be finished at the top level but signing him on loan and then starting him in 2 league games out of 20 gives him next to no chance of doing anything to regain full match sharpness. It's little wonder he then struggles when you do finally play him.

Finished at the top level. He showed exactly why he has barely played a league match for 2 years, he cannot physically compete anymore.

Signing him was a nice idea but it’s not going to work out, hopefully he can help us in the Europa League before he goes back to Madrid.

Dunno - play Bale with Kane, Son and Dele, there’s probably enough there to allow him the luxury of being slow. His thinking is still at the top level, but the legs are letting him down. No-one on the pitch tonight could actually pass a ball more than two yards - Son barely touched it, either.

Scared to run in case he gets injured, scared to properly kick a ball in case he gets injured, gets knocked off the ball by a stiff breeze, and in general has never been one to put any effort in and do any of the dirty work.

Tonight was just another example of this, as all the games have been. Maybe now some who still idolise the guy will accept it.

Others might be shit, and not putting in the effort and/or performances at the moment, but none of them are at such a low level of intensity of performance. It's like he's some ex-pro in a testimonial, every so often showing a glimpse of what he used to be able to do. He's so far away from being able to go at a level that is acceptable for PL football or equivalent.

hard to blame bale that much when our entire squad was just shit. i would have liked to see him play alongside kane/son when we were at our best. throw him into the fire when we're at our weakest and yeah... he's going to struggle like everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom