Gary Cahill

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thelonious

The Fighting Cock
Thelonious World Peace
In the summer transfer window, we looked like dead certs to sign him. Much like Parker, there was a lot of indifference and in my opinion at the time rightly so. He wasn't a huge upgrade on our existing back-line and we had reasonable depth (before Dawson got injured obviously). Now he has joined Chelsea, he has looked decent under the tutelage of John Terry and made a few good blocks yesterday. He also has an eye for goal which is something I'd like to see more of in our defenders.

This thread stemmed from a debate I had on another forum, does anyone feel we missed a trick in not signing Cahill?

At the moment he does look decent, but I wonder how much that has to do with him playing alongside Terry? I mean, would Dawson look better playing alongside Terry? I dont know, maybe thats a redundant point.

He has that determined attitude which I wholeheartedly think we lack throughout the team, and yes, chipping in with 5 goals a season is something that comes in very handy.

He's decent , not world class but he will stand his ground. I must say i respected the way he gave his all for Bolton even after signing for Chelsea and risking an injury while doing so - This is what is to be expected of a pro player but loads of them would not have done it

Dawson and Terry are too similar to work as a partnership for me. I think Terry has missed a ball playing partner since Carvalho left, clearly Cahill isn't and probably never will be at that level but that partnership could have a future for club and country.

Thelonious said:
Dawson and Terry are too similar to work as a partnership for me. I think Terry has missed a ball playing partner since Carvalho left, clearly Cahill isn't and probably never will be at that level but that partnership could have a future for club and country.

Indeed, its something I think we really lack when Dawson plays, Kaboul can play the ball certainly not as well as the likes of Vermalen, Ferdinand, Cahil, Kompany imo.

If we had signed him, would Dawson have sat on the bench the whole season (assuming he never got injured?)

Plus would it have harmed Caulker's progression?

No. I liked him at Bolton last season, and he looks pretty decent at the moment - generally had a good game last night - but is he an improvement on what we have/enough of one to warrant the investment needed? I don't think so.

If you consider Caulker the likely long-term King replacement then we'll need to add one more CB in the summer but we can do/should be aiming for better.

Given the choice in the summer/January I'd have taken Samba ahead of him and I'd still stand by that judgement now.

Bolton and Cahil were silly not to allow us to sign him at the time, and they maybe got less for him from Chelsea. If Bolton get relegated I have no sympathy.

eggsoakley said:
Bolton and Cahil were silly not to allow us to sign him at the time, and they maybe got less for him from Chelsea. If Bolton get relegated I have no sympathy.

I think Bolton agreed to our fee but left it so late that the player felt like he was being rushed into a decision

In my quest for the next Belgian player at spurs i am still hoping we will sign Vertonghen , has massivly improved this season (had concentration issues before) and can play the ball like the top defenders + he scores goals from distance and against Manure he was the only one at Ajax that could live up to their level

Caulker will be good but no Kompany but then again almost no one is.

On Vertonghen, how much would the transfer fee be do you think?

And whats his personality/on pitch attitude?

I know I probably seem like im going on about it but I really think we need to be getting in players who have as much character/will to win/whatever you want to call it as footballing ability.

Every top team has leaders/winners that set the tone for the other players at the club and I think this is somewhere we are lacking, Parker aside...

Dru said:
On Vertonghen, how much would the transfer fee be do you think?

And whats his personality/on pitch attitude?

I know I probably seem like im going on about it but I really think we need to be getting in players who have as much character/will to win/whatever you want to call it as footballing ability.

Every top team has leaders/winners that set the tone for the other players at the club and I think this is somewhere we are lacking, Parker aside...

He is captain at Ajax and always leads by example , he used to be a bit nonchalant and arrogant (a bit like the young Kompany) but he grew up. Fee would be 15-20 million euros so not cheap for a defender , not cheap at all. But there are a lot of clubs (rumoured) to be after him.

And as you mentioned for a defender its also important to have a good pass and he has good passing skills.

Hmmmm,

I would think we arent going to spend that big on anyone without getting the new manager in. I would hope anyway.

zin said:
Caulker will be better than anyone mentioned in this thread. Don't worry!

With Judas and Ledley as past examples, I tend to agree.

On the question should we be regretting missing out on Cahill. Yes, yes we should.

Vertonghen would be perfect, he's not afraid to go forward, he can score goals and sometimes even takes Free kicks. He's also pretty good at defending, I really hope we get him in the Summer.

Vertonghen would be useless at freekicks once he signs for us, always happens.

Back
Top Bottom