Get on the record now: Pochettino's margin of error

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is the lowest acceptable league finish in Pochettino's first season that allows him to stay on?

• Total voters
I keep saying it. If poch plays Townsend, Lennon, soldado, naughton and rose, it will be another gamble with cricket scores.

If he plays my style (eriksen, Lamela, ade and Kane) I think it will be a slow start including a few disappointing early months but long term, once things click and they get used to each other I think we will have a team that can challenge for top 4 and trophies.

So I can't answer this until I know his lineups.

I keep saying it. If poch plays Townsend, Lennon, soldado, naughton and rose, it will be another gamble with cricket scores.

If he plays my style (eriksen, Lamela, ade and Kane) I think it will be a slow start including a few disappointing early months but long term, once things click and they get used to each other I think we will have a team that can challenge for top 4 and trophies.

So I can't answer this until I know his lineups.

From the sounds of that response, you've already made up your mind. If he doesn't use the lineups you expect to do well you appear to already want him gone.

I've made my mind up on the players. Not the manager.

So in the event that players get hurt and Poch has to use the ones you don't like what is an unacceptable league position to finish in? On the other hand using the players you want him to use with a minimum number of injuries, what is an unacceptable league position to finish in? The question being posed is asking for a hypothetical answer, it's not like you can't answer for multiple scenarios.

So in the event that players get hurt and Poch has to use the ones you don't like what is an unacceptable league position to finish in? On the other hand using the players you want him to use with a minimum number of injuries, what is an unacceptable league position to finish in? The question being posed is asking for a hypothetical answer, it's not like you can't answer for multiple scenarios.

Correct. Mind blown?

The players I listed IMO are liabilities and not only dont pull their weight in their own position. They also drag down players around them and hamper the development of potential world class players like jan, eriksen and Lamela.

Avoiding historic mistakes isn't lazy. It can be said soldado, Townsend, Lennon scoring what? 10 prem goals combined and even less assists in a season cost AVB his job. Did naughton or rose do him any favors?
We're talking Poch here not AVB. By that rationale no manager could ever make a difference with the same players.

In a state of flux I'd always be willing to throw away a season, but actually, with the playing staff that we have, no major upheaval in this window, an extra year of experience for all of the new players from last season and a much more measured management team... I'd say 7th for Poch. Everyone in the press seems to be talking about transition but with our resources I just couldn't accept that we can't put in a competitive season.

We're talking Poch here not AVB. By that rationale no manager could ever make a difference with the same players.

When Sherwood brought in ade, Kane, eriksen and one of Townsend or Lennon was dropped or injured, we got a records points average even with gonzo team shapes and midfields. And weak links were the flanks with rose and naughton making life hard for us.

When Sherwood brought in ade, Kane, eriksen and one of Townsend or Lennon was dropped or injured, we got a records points average even with gonzo team shapes and midfields. And weak links were the flanks with rose and naughton making life hard for us.
I know your views on those players, and our wing play last season, but we're talking Poch here, and can he make a difference with same players.

By the way did you see his quote about squad trimming?

“We have a long, long squad,” Pochettino said. "I think we need to take a decision now to decide how many players to keep, because we have more than 25. For me, too many players. My idea is 25. No more than 25. We need to decide now, after our tour in America, and start to work here and decide our squad for the future.”

Poch isn't a miracle worker that can make Lennon do what Jol, Ramos, Harry, AVB, Sherwood and countless coaches have tried and failed.

What to you think they do with him? Not work on his shooting, crossing, through balls, heads up play?

Some don't have the ability period.

The trimming is needed. I just hope he does not let the fact that most of the players we need trimmed are English deter him from getting rid. I'm glad the signings we have made are British this season for that reason.

Last edited:
What is with all the "we're talking about Poch here, we're talking about Poch here"??

He isn't the damn Messiah and isn't going to just turn every last season mediocre player into a star. That doesn't happen in football or any sport for that matter. Giving a few players a new lease on life? Yes. But bringing out amazing qualities in every single mediocre player isn't going to happen.

If he even thought he was capable of that he wouldn't be so adament about trimming the squad. I don't agree with Gibbs often, but he's hitting the nail on the head with this one. Some just don't have the ability. Let them get trimmed.

Townsend, Lennon, Soldado, Naughton, Rose, even Paulihno....did nothing all last season. Under 2 managers. AVB couldn't coax consistency out of them, and neither could Sherwood. Did all of them minus Paulinhho look decent pre-season? Yes. But a. that's not necessarily because of Poch and b. It's fucking pre-season...

What is with all the "we're talking about Poch here, we're talking about Poch here"??

He isn't the damn Messiah and isn't going to just turn every last season mediocre player into a star. That doesn't happen in football or any sport for that matter. Giving a few players a new lease on life? Yes. But bringing out amazing qualities in every single mediocre player isn't going to happen.

If he even thought he was capable of that he wouldn't be so adament about trimming the squad. I don't agree with Gibbs often, but he's hitting the nail on the head with this one. Some just don't have the ability. Let them get trimmed. And Gibbsy didn't want much trimming originally.

Townsend, Lennon, Soldado, Naughton, Rose, even Paulihno....did nothing all last season. Under 2 managers. AVB couldn't coax consistency out of them, and neither could Sherwood. Did all of them minus Paulinhho look decent pre-season? Yes. But a. that's not necessarily because of Poch and b. It's fucking pre-season...
Because the thread is titled 'Pochettino's Margin of Error' ?:dembele:

Whats Gibbs was saying was that our position come end of season will also be dependant on who Poch plays. And if, like Gibbs said, Poch uses the same players that hurt as last season, then they will probably hurt us again this season because they just don't have the ability. Thus, our position won't be stellar. 7 or 8. This season I'm expecting 6 or below if Poch uses the right squad.

I know... but the climate of things with Poch is that he can transform ALL of our players.
No he can't I agree, but Gibbsy didn't want much trimming originally - he wanted Poch to work with what we've got. He's allowed to change his mind of course. I said in another thread I thought the squad was bloated and I will be interested to see who goes.

No he can't I agree, but Gibbsy didn't want much trimming originally - he wanted Poch to work with what we've got. He's allowed to change his mind of course. I said in another thread I thought the squad was bloated and I will be interested to see who goes.

Well I guess Gibbsy is a flip-flopper of opinions then. But no, you're right. Way too bloated, can't wait to see who gets trimmed. I'm glad Poch is the one to put his foot down and be radical yet logical. Sometimes that's exactly what you need.

Back
Top Bottom