Get on the record now: Pochettino's margin of error

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is the lowest acceptable league finish in Pochettino's first season that allows him to stay on?

• Total voters
I know... but the climate of things with Poch is that he can transform ALL of our players.
With an effective and cohesive tactic average players can perform at a much higher level. If the likes of Lennon and Naughton can understand what Pochettino wants, I think they can be good enough for us this season.

I doubt everyone will improve vastly but we should see a decent improvement from most.

With an effective and cohesive tactic average players can perform at a much higher level. If the likes of Lennon and Naughton can understand what Pochettino wants, I think they can be good enough for us this season.

I doubt everyone will improve vastly but we should see a decent improvement from most.

Lennon, I could see it happening. He had some solid moments pre season. But that's pre season, against much weaker squads. Naughton, he will be FORCED to step up since Walker has that persistent pelvic injury...but Rose? I'd rather see Davies in for him.

I cast my vote for 8th, however, like many other people have said it really depends on style of play.

I truly believe that LVG isn't going to turn around United in a season and that Liverpool is going to fall off. I think our biggest competition for the position we all want is Everton.

On a separate note, I think that Newcastle is actually going to be really good this year, and that from 4th to 8th will be within 8 points. We're going to have to play well out of the gate, and we need a win against Liverpool in that 3rd game. It'll take a ton of pressure off our squad and manager, and allow them to focus on what they are doing well vs what the flaws of the system are. Let Poch worry about the flaws, and let the players worry about whether or not their executing his plans perfectly. I think that a 6th place finish is quite possible, and 7th would bother me a lot, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Especially if we're scoring against the majority of our competition and lot allowing clean sheets against us. 8th is where I really come along and say the gap is too much to overcome given that we have great players and on paper see no reason to finish lower than 6th.
I think Newcastle will be pretty poor as long as Pardew is manager. Getting them that high a fees seasons a go was a miracle and miracles don't happen twice.

I honestly think that any lower than 6th & Levy's itchy trigger finger will be unbearably itchy. He has got rid of 3 managers, none of whom finished lower than 6th. Whether we liked those managers or not, they have set a benchmark of where the club ought to be in the league in Levy's eyes. Unless there is a trophy in there somewhere, I can't see levy settling for mid/lower table. I personally think he should be given 2-3 years minimum but I don't think Levy has that patience.

No he can't I agree, but Gibbsy didn't want much trimming originally - he wanted Poch to work with what we've got. He's allowed to change his mind of course. I said in another thread I thought the squad was bloated and I will be interested to see who goes.

I didn't say I didn't want trimming. I said what I expected to happen was little movement.

All the players I mentioned would have been trimmed by me, but again I know my history. I know players have mugged managers in the past esp the pretty ones on the ball like Lennon and Townsend owning people in friendly laughy training sessions.

Ha ha he's not usually. He normally sticks to his guns like glue. The guy is tenacious, I'll give him that.

Avoiding historic mistakes isn't lazy. It can be said soldado, Townsend, Lennon scoring what? 10 prem goals combined and even less assists in a season cost AVB his job. Did naughton or rose do him any favors?

I have absolutely zero clue as to how you're not willing to say what hypothetical league position it would take to sack Poch. I could very well change my mind a few weeks in, or a few months in, or never change it. If I'm completely wrong it's in no way a big deal. If you're completely wrong it's in no way a big deal.

I have absolutely zero clue as to how you're not willing to say what hypothetical league position it would take to sack Poch. I could very well change my mind a few weeks in, or a few months in, or never change it. If I'm completely wrong it's in no way a big deal. If you're completely wrong it's in no way a big deal.

If we are a disappointing (performance-wise) 7th and get nowhere in other competitions either then I would say he will be gone.
With a more settled squad which he claims is outstanding, if we were to get bad results, perform at a lower standard and finish lower yet again, how many fans would be prepared to say it's not Poch's fault and he gets another year to improve things just back to where they were already??

Plenty have already been talking like he is the second coming, trouble is it's about the tenth coming for us in not many more years.

last year a total disaster and still finished 6th, the league is split in 2 now, would take a total muppet to finish 8th in this league, its basically impossible for us to do that now. You will see us get around our "record points tally" again next year due to the pull away of the big 7 we naturally get more points off the rest

our margin is between 5th and 7th really irrespective of manager, only a great manager would get us in top 4 so lets hope Poch gets the team fighting and performing to a great level especially against top teams and hopefully the points come with it

i dont know what u guys are worried this year we will win the league and lamela and soldado will score a combined 50+ goals

Morning alarm buzzes.

Goddamnit!

I've got for 7th simply because I don't think there's 6 teams better than us. Of course if we have an epidemic of Ebola I could probably forgive him for a lower finish.

8th so long as we:
1. Give 100%. I expect each and every player that puts on the Lillywhite shirt to give everything he has for his team mates, for his manager, for the club and for the fans. I will clap them off the pitch if they give everything they have but still loose, no shame in that. This is a minimum.
2. Signs of us playing attractive football again
3. No spankings
4. He conducts himself with dignity, doesn't act like a cunt with the press or on the sidelines. Oh and when we sing your name give us a wave there's a good fella.

I think that this post sums things up perfectly.
I would just add a couple of points.
I think given the squad, we should be pushing for 5th or 6th anything better than that would be fantastic.
I also think that the Europa League should be a priority given the prize for winning it this season.

Like most I went with 7th. I think in terms of the quality of our squad we should not be finishing any lower then that - but there is always te possibility that a series of "typical Spurs" results will appear and cost is dear. Anyway, lets see how it works out.

For me it's 6th, taking some points off the CL teams and playing good football too. We have the squad and resources to challenge the Big 5 and it would be totally unacceptable to finish below e.g. Everton or Newcastle. 'Echo Of Glory' comes from aiming high, not slushing around in mid table mediocrity. It would also seem harsh on previous managers if MP is allowed to get away with less achievement than the likes of Harry, AVB and Sherwood were all sacked for.

Back
Top Bottom