Glenn Hoddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First player I really remember watching live at WHL. Never seen another like him anywhere. Closest to a ballet dancer playing football you’ll see.
Me too. Saw my first live game, home vs Watford, where he ran the show. He was the essence of 'great players have more time on the ball'. Not quick by any means, but his touch and awareness so good he could find space and time when it didn't seem possible.

Especially as England didn't really use him as a "playmaker". This was the problem back then and has been written and argued over and over ever since!

(sorry I'm so late on this catching up on so many unread threads)
It was all about the Cult of Work Rate back then, as embodied by Saint Bryan Robson, bathed in the blood of Terry Butcher. Even among some Spurs fans at the time Glenn was always "Glenda", all a bit airy-fairy, didn't get stuck in or tackle back.

You still see its adherents, they recite the creed of Bulking Out, Being a Beast and Giving 110%

It was all about the Cult of Work Rate back then, as embodied by Saint Bryan Robson, bathed in the blood of Terry Butcher. Even among some Spurs fans at the time Glenn was always "Glenda", all a bit airy-fairy, didn't get stuck in or tackle back.

You still see its adherents, they recite the creed of Bulking Out, Being a Beast and Giving 110%
It still makes me laugh today, when a player sustains a cut to the head, the Red Tops go into overdrive with the pictures and headlines of "warrior of a bygone era" or whatever, completely oblivious to the fact that ever since AIDS no sport allows any player with a cut (or even blood on their clothes) to continue with the game, this includes fucking Tennis!!!

To my dad, almost every midfielder who plays for us is shit because they ain't Glenn Hoddle. I grew up with this man being the benchmark for what a Spurs player is, even though his playing career was before my time.

I'm exagerrating of course, my dad didn't think Modric etc were shit. But whenever anybody asks him who the best player he has ever seen live is, the answer is always "Hoddle." Technically I saw him live, but I was only about 4 years old at the time and don't remember the game at all, but I do have a vague memory of the crowd and being amazed by all the people there. I think it might have been his last season for us.

It's funny in a way, some of these old players - when Spurs are in your blood, your dad was watching before you were even born, feels like you know the career of players you never really saw play. I've seen the highlights, but I know the greatness of Hoddle through the story told by the fans who were there before me, especially my dad. The stuff of legend, a player for whom the term absolutely applies.

I was behind the goal for that game, one that sticks in the memory. IIRC, Burkinshaw had a falling out with Archie, and he was the sub, and scored after he came on. Happy days :)
I was virtually under the camera on that side of the ground with my brother, a Dipper, who was flabbergasted as I was in ecstasy!

Happy days indeed 🥳

To my dad, almost every midfielder who plays for us is shit because they ain't Glenn Hoddle. I grew up with this man being the benchmark for what a Spurs player is, even though his playing career was before my time.

I'm exagerrating of course, my dad didn't think Modric etc were shit. But whenever anybody asks him who the best player he has ever seen live is, the answer is always "Hoddle." Technically I saw him live, but I was only about 4 years old at the time and don't remember the game at all, but I do have a vague memory of the crowd and being amazed by all the people there. I think it might have been his last season for us.

It's funny in a way, some of these old players - when Spurs are in your blood, your dad was watching before you were even born, feels like you know the career of players you never really saw play. I've seen the highlights, but I know the greatness of Hoddle through the story told by the fans who were there before me, especially my dad. The stuff of legend, a player for whom the term absolutely applies.
That's how I feel about the players of the Double side, I devour anything about that era, be it books, limited filmed footage or interviews with the players.
Hod was one special player, and we were lucky to have him at his peak for as long as we did. It was a pleasure just to watch him warm up.

Yeah it's the same with my dad. Honestly I could have written the same.

The only other player my dad held in similar esteem was Chivers.

A fair few on here will remember the Feyenoord game from season 83/84-their team containing an ageing Johan Cruyff.
We won 4-2 on the night (having blitzed into a 4-0 lead by halftime) and it was an absolute Hoddle master class, arguably his finest ever performance in a Spurs shirt. I remember that after the game Cruyff was glowing in his appraisal of Glenn’s performance.A truly special European night.

Hoddle was the reason I got drawn to Spurs. A gentleman, softly spoken and a class act on the pitch.

Absolutely disgraceful he finished with less international caps than Paul Ince, Ray Wilkins, Joe Cole, etc. Some managers (and fans) dont know how to value individual endeavour which is only ever fleeting over team effort which is generally consistent

A fair few on here will remember the Feyenoord game from season 83/84-their team containing an ageing Johan Cruyff.
We won 4-2 on the night (having blitzed into a 4-0 lead by halftime) and it was an absolute Hoddle master class, arguably his finest ever performance in a Spurs shirt. I remember that after the game Cruyff was glowing in his appraisal of Glenn’s performance.A truly special European night.
Can only agree, it was probably his greatest 45 minutes for us.

Back
Top Bottom