Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To your point, Kane is just 1 goal above his xG this season so he hasn't been exactly phenomenal. He has a teammate that is 6 goals above their xG so you can't just blame it solely on the team.

Also, if you look at our record without Kane in recent seasons (see posts above), we do just fine if not better so long as we have another attacker like Son playing.

Nobody cares what you think. The posters bashing Kane have revealed themselves to be trolls.

Nobody cares what you think. The posters bashing Kane have revealed themselves to be trolls.

That's rubbish mate and no one is or should be trolling Kane but it is also to call out some poor performances and the wider context.

Kane needs better players alongside him but Kane could also be better than what he has been.

Not sure which is more likely but Kane cannot escape criticism even if it seems harsh. That would be perverse and just nonsensical.

Finding talk of selling Kane here embarrassing it actually disgusts me.
Guy is a living club legend at 27 and whether peaked or not will be at the top of his game for years to come.
Isn’t pacey ffs, and Messi isn’t tall.
The only way I would accept him leaving is out of respect for him to win some trophies elsewhere but at this point you’d be a lunatic to say it would be with any benefit for Spurs.

I guess part of me also feels the less changes we have to make the less chance of fucking it up.
The source of my only bit of apprehension. But for me I separate these things because just because you do something wrong doesn't mean it wasn't right to have done it in the first place. And for this place in particular the converse is also true, just because something works out doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.
not that I want an NFL lineup!
:mourbringit:

With Haaland it's tricky, he's a unit but can move like a sprinter. Similar to Lukaku when he's on form. I don't watch Haaland enough but if his brain/passing develops anywhere near Kane levels that's pretty much the ideal striker for me.
Agree on a lot of this but my precise point was about the folks that wouldn't even coutenance my heresy changing their tune if Haaland was the prize return...thereby displaying a wee bit of hypocrisy.

So not materially different than when Son is in but Kane is out. If anything, our PL results suggest that we may have been slightly better with Son in and Kane out than the other way around.

This just further proves the point that Kane is not necessarily irreplaceable. I think the majority of games we had a 34 year old Llorente filling in for Kane.
It doesn’t prove anything. It’s a small sample of games that have a million variables besides Kane or son playing.

It doesn’t prove anything. It’s a small sample of games that have a million variables besides Kane or son playing.
We are talking about almost 50 games between the two samples. It's enough of a sample size to get a decent sense or what we're like when Kane is out but Son is in and vice versa.

Also, weren't a lot of fans in here claiming that we are "nothing without Kane" and that Kane has been "carrying this team" based on just TWO games without him. How ironic... LOL

Black Ink Crew Lol GIF by VH1

Trump speak right here. Don't like what you're hearing then attack the speakers to deflect from the point and put them on the defensive. This is poor.

If you're a genuine 100% Spurs fan then Kane is a deity. A living God. Maybe when he gets to 35 and he's struggling to get to double figures in a season, it might ok to offer some mild criticism. But when he's at the peak of his career, competing to win the golden boot and top the assists chart in a very average team, deeming him to be the problem isn't something a true Spurs fan would do. An 80% Spurs fan would or obviously someone who is a downright troll.

If you're a genuine 100% Spurs fan then Kane is a deity. A living God. Maybe when he gets to 35 and he's struggling to get to double figures in a season, it might ok to offer some mild criticism. But when he's at the peak of his career, competing to win the golden boot and top the assists chart in a very average team, deeming him to be the problem isn't something a true Spurs fan would do. An 80% Spurs fan would or obviously someone who is a downright troll.
This is what you said:

"In reality you probably only watch highlights of other players and it seems like they score every chance to you. I can absolutely assure you that Mbappe and Co. miss stacks of chances."

This is how I responded:

To your point, Kane is just 1 goal above his xG this season

This is what you said:

"In reality you probably only watch highlights of other players and it seems like they score every chance to you. I can absolutely assure you that Mbappe and Co. miss stacks of chances."

This is how I responded:

To your point, Kane is just 1 goal above his xG this season
Why are you only conveniently looking at this season? xG is a statistic with a lot of variability over short spans. It is meant to be measured over a long period. Kane has proven his xG is way above average for his career.

With Kane but no Son? And from 2018/19?

Premier League
P:
W: 8
D: 4
L: 6

Champions League
P:
W: 1
D: 1
L: 0

Europa League
P:
W: 2
D: 0

League Cup
P:
W: 1
D: 0
Thanks and just a little bit more work for you if you dont mind. Could you point out who we lost to in those games when Kane didnt play and Son did vs when Son didnt play and Kane did. I think we can (or used to be able to) manage to win games against the crap teams with just one of them. Interesting to know who we lost to.

If you're a genuine 100% Spurs fan then Kane is a deity.
You the gatekeeper of Spurs' support then? Do you have any other purity tests that we should pass? Purity tests always resolve to 1, none is more pure than you.

No true Scotsman - Wikipedia

But when he's at the peak of his career, competing to win the golden boot and top the assists chart in a very average team, deeming him to be the problem isn't something a true Spurs fan would do.
I support Spurs, the club, and not Harry Kane or any other individual player above the club.

And as an aside I've not deemed him 'the problem'. My suggestion is about bettering the squad.

An 80% Spurs fan would or obviously someone who is a downright troll.
More 'purity'. Proof that anyone can go down that rabbit hole if they are intolerant of others' perspectives. If someone doesn't like the other's viewpoint then just invoke the "no true X, Y, or Z would do A, B, or C". It's poor.

Last edited:
Thanks and just a little bit more work for you if you dont mind. Could you point out who we lost to in those games when Kane didnt play and Son did vs when Son didnt play and Kane did. I think we can (or used to be able to) manage to win games against the crap teams with just one of them. Interesting to know who we lost to.

No problem.

Games lost when Son starts and Kane doesnt.
18/19 - CL - Man City (A) - 4-3* (Qualified)
18/19 - PREM - Man City (A) - 1-0
18/19 - PREM - West Ham (H) - 1-0
19/20 - PREM - Liverpool (H) - 1-0
20/21 - PREM - Chelsea (H) - 1-0
20/21 - PREM - Brighton (A) - 1-0
20/21 - FAC - Everton (A) - 5-4

Games lost when Kane starts and Son doesnt.
18/19 - PREM - Watford (A) - 2-1
18/19 - PREM - Liverpool (H) - 2-1
18/19 - PREM - Man City (H) - 1-0
18/19 - PREM - Southampton (A) - 2-1
18/19 - PREM - Liverpool (A) - 2-1
19/20 - PREM - Southampton (A) - 1-0

Quite interesting that in the league when Son starts and Kane doesn't - we cannot seem to score at all and we only lose by 1 goal.

No problem.

Games lost when Son starts and Kane doesnt.
18/19 - CL - Man City (A) - 4-3* (Qualified)
18/19 - PREM - Man City (A) - 1-0
18/19 - PREM - West Ham (H) - 1-0
19/20 - PREM - Liverpool (H) - 1-0
20/21 - PREM - Chelsea (H) - 1-0
20/21 - PREM - Brighton (A) - 1-0
20/21 - FAC - Everton (A) - 5-4

Games lost when Kane starts and Son doesnt.
18/19 - PREM - Watford (A) - 2-1
18/19 - PREM - Liverpool (H) - 2-1
18/19 - PREM - Man City (H) - 1-0
18/19 - PREM - Southampton (A) - 2-1
18/19 - PREM - Liverpool (A) - 2-1
19/20 - PREM - Southampton (A) - 1-0
So 3 games we shouldnt be losing in both cases. Both are so important to us. If anything we should have a 3rd player in there who is as good so when these two arent at their best the other one chips in with the goals. Bale's finally started to look like maybe he will be that player.

So 3 games we shouldnt be losing in both cases. Both are so important to us. If anything we should have a 3rd player in there who is as good so when these two arent at their best the other one chips in with the goals. Bale's finally started to look like maybe he will be that player.

Yeah - was interesting how we can't seem to score a league goal when Son starts without Kane, regularly losing by just the 1-0 score line.

And this is going back 3 years.

Oh and:

Games lost when starting none of the two
18/19 - FAC - Crystal Palace (A) - 2-0
18/19 - LC - Chelsea (A) - 2-1* Lost on penalties
18/19 - CL - Ajax (H) - 1-0
19/20 - LC - Colchester (A) - 0-0* Lost on penalties
19/20 - CL - Bayern Munich (A) - 3-1
19/20 - CL - RB Leipzig (A) - 3-0
19/20 - CL - RB Leipzig (H) - 1-0
19/20 - PREM - Chelsea (A) - 2-1
19/20 - PREM - Wolves (H) - 3-2
19/20 - FAC - Norwich (A) - 1-1* Lost on penalties
20/21 - EL - Antwerp (A) - 1-0

Last edited:
You the gatekeeper of Spurs' support then? Do you have any other purity tests that we should pass? Purity tests always resolve to 1, none is more pure than you.

No true Scotsman - Wikipedia

I support Spurs, the club, and not Harry Kane or any other individual player above the club.

And as an aside I've not deemed him 'the problem'. My suggestion is about bettering the squad.

More 'purity'. Proof that anyone can go down that rabbit hole if they are tolerant of others' perspectives. If someone doesn't like the other's viewpoint then just invoke the "no true X, Y, or Z would do A, B, or C". It's poor.

It's great you're a Spurs fan but if, for example, you'd rather we replace Kane with Haaland, then you're not a Spurs fan in the same way as others are Spurs fans. Perhaps it's an age thing, many on here who've been supporting the club since the 80s or earlier will understand. Players were much more relatable then and local connections to clubs were more common. But, in the modern era, to have someone who was born and grew up locally and has had a connection to the club since childhood in the first team is rare, and for that player to be considered one of the best in his positions in the world, is practically unheard of anymore. Gerrard is one of the few that spring to mind. For such an exceptional player to be so completely associated with one club, his local club, makes us incredibly blessed.

Last edited:
Quite interesting that in the league when Son starts and Kane doesn't - we cannot seem to score at all and we only lose by 1 goal.
I don’t think it’s difficult to understand. In fact we have been complaining about the lack of a quality back up striker for a few years now.

When Son is out we have had others that can step in and fill in like Lamela, Lucas etc. We have invested in wings.

When Kane is out, we have been without a backup striker or a 34 year old Llorente most of the time, as well as Vinicius who doesn’t get any league time whatsoever.

I think that explains that.

Back
Top Bottom