Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It may be just me but I find the money involved with sports has become obscene.
It's now showbiz, not sports. Harry is already making 1 mil every 6 weeks. How much is enough . And every time money is spent, player A, b and c think " he's getting mor than me. How do you think the rest of the squad are going to feel being told, Harry is worth twice what you are?
I find the whole thing is beginning to really stink. I'm beginning to wish he had gone. Which is unlike me.
I agree, this is the world though.

We're at the start of a potential financial crisis for the majority of the population of the planet and these guys are getting paid what is a disgrace.

Doesn't change the reality though, they'll pay him if they want to protect him as an asset. Just football...sadly.

He may not have scored many european goals, but Perryman did score important ones. He's got more semi final goals than Kane for a start (OK Kane hasn't actually played in a semi but...)

Harry's outrageous wage demands completely negate any other reasons for staying. Clearly it wasn't all about trophies. I'm not sure if I am on his side anymore
All footballer salaries are outrageous, I wouldn't pay any player more than 50k a week tbh, I hope the game implodes one day because of the greed from everyone concerned, however if we accept that players are paid outrageously then Kane is one that deserves to be one of the highest paid in the PL imo for what he offers on the pitch and how hard he works to improve in training.

It's now showbiz, not sports. Harry is already making 1 mil every 6 weeks. How much is enough . And every time money is spent, player A, b and c think " he's getting mor than me. How do you think the rest of the squad are going to feel being told, Harry is worth twice what you are?
I find the whole thing is beginning to really stink. I'm beginning to wish he had gone. Which is unlike me.

Although I agree with the sentiment, the root cause of this ridiculous money comes from the TV deals.
You can blame Murdoch & Sky, the fans globally that are prepared to pay for the TV packages, even Sugar for tipping off Sky to outbid ITV in the early days of the Premier League - but I don't blame the players.

The money in football is a result of what fans are prepared to pay to be entertained. My personal opinion is that I would rather see money going to the players above TV companies, chairmen / board members etc.

Lots of actors are paid £300k-£1.5m or so per week (annual earnings / 52). In 2018 George Clooney was paid $239m which works out over £3m per week. Of course he is the leading star of whatever films he shot that year and people pay to watch whatever is released with his face on it - not too dissimilar to the effect players like Ronaldo or Messi have to the global audience.

It is showbiz and England lapped up the opportunity to be a leading force in said entertainment.
For me, the figures will only increase. I'm fully expecting to see £1m per week become the new equivalent of what £100k per week was 10 years ago or so.

My guess would be that the other players in the squad will feel like supporting actors do towards the lead role of a film. Some will fancy themselves as equals, others would be happy to be recognised on the same set (or pitch) as a Harry Kane.

Although I agree with the sentiment, the root cause of this ridiculous money comes from the TV deals.
You can blame Murdoch & Sky, the fans globally that are prepared to pay for the TV packages, even Sugar for tipping off Sky to outbid ITV in the early days of the Premier League - but I don't blame the players.

The money in football is a result of what fans are prepared to pay to be entertained. My personal opinion is that I would rather see money going to the players above TV companies, chairmen / board members etc.

Lots of actors are paid £300k-£1.5m or so per week (annual earnings / 52). In 2018 George Clooney was paid $239m which works out over £3m per week. Of course he is the leading star of whatever films he shot that year and people pay to watch whatever is released with his face on it - not too dissimilar to the effect players like Ronaldo or Messi have to the global audience.

It is showbiz and England lapped up the opportunity to be a leading force in said entertainment.
For me, the figures will only increase. I'm fully expecting to see £1m per week become the new equivalent of what £100k per week was 10 years ago or so.

My guess would be that the other players in the squad will feel like supporting actors do towards the lead role of a film. Some will fancy themselves as equals, others would be happy to be recognised on the same set (or pitch) as a Harry Kane.
You're right. It's so depressing.

The athletic are really hit and miss when it comes to reporting. The fact is they have to produce content so people subscribe but half their articles are a load of horse 💩. The problem with 24/7 journalism is that they run out of things to say so they start filling the news with crap .
Almost everythig that gets posted here from the athletic turns out to be fake.

If you're asking for £150m for a guy with however many years left on his contract, then his contract should reflect that valuation.

If they want that kind of guaranteed fee for him, pay him, otherwise let him run his contract out. It's not like he cost us a transfer fee anyway.
At this point Kane would be dumb to sign any contract that keeps him any longer than the 3 years he is contracted for. In 3 years he will be 31, maybe he will have 2 more good years after that and will have a choice to go to whichever club he wants on a free.

His thinking probably is that if hes not going to be getting any trophies , might as well try to get as rich as possible.

Or we say no in which case heit may come out and say he is not valued.

Earlier today I thought he was consigned or likely to stay with us bit seeing the Ronaldo to United signing, who knows.

Guardiola must be spewing flames so expect City to get a striker before the window shuts.

Long been obscene mate.

I agree but equally I do understand that if you are in a sport which so many play and right near the very top, then you are rewarded according to that acquired level.

It's disgusting but has been going this way for many many years.

And when you have the mega rich who want to flash their appendages in the form of money then it only goes one way.

Or we say no in which case heit may come out and say he is not valued.

Earlier today I thought he was consigned or likely to stay with us bit seeing the Ronaldo to United signing, who knows.

Guardiola must be spewing flames so expect City to get a striker before the window shuts.

I have a feeling they'll make a move now for Haaland instead of waiting until next summer, with Jesus perhaps going the other way,

Now would be the best time to go for him if you're City because nobody else will be as interested right now as they would have been, what with the transfers that have already been made.

I think player a, b and c already know that harry is worth more than twice as much as they are.

Back
Top Bottom