Has anyone else had enough?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Alcohol and MDMA were my saviour back then.
Helped me get behind the team in very dark days.
People still queued down Park Lane to sell out games though.
We are a tough breed.
:tobyarm:
Were you at the away game against Wimbledon under Gross? Season opener when Tramezzani made his debut. I sat with my head in my hands for 30 minds after the final whistle. Was convinced we were going down. (Was at the away against Oldham where we got the result to stay up the previous year. Finished 3 points out of the relegation zone.). And people round here think sugar was a good chairman.

Were you at the away game against Wimbledon under Gross? Season opener when Tramezzani made his debut. I sat with my head in my hands for 30 minds after the final whistle. Was convinced we were going down. (Was at the away against Oldham where we got the result to stay up the previous year. Finished 3 points out of the relegation zone.). And people round here think sugar was a good chairman.
To be fair, didn't do too many aways back then unless it was a chance for an away day weekend or a euro trip. Did most of my budget on home games and the obligitory sesh afterwards.
I do remember the Oldham game though. I had just moved into my first flat and was in the middle of decorating so I popped to my "new" local to watch on the TV.
I entered the pub (that I had never used before) and to my delight it was full of equally downtrodden Yids like myself.
We won the game, just, which I think made us as good as safe that year.
Heady times.
:harrylol:

Are you a bit mixed up?
Wimbledon away, 1-3, under Gross was in the 98/99 season
Oldham went down in 1994

Are you a bit mixed up?
Wimbledon away, 1-3, under Gross was in the 98/99 season
Oldham went down in 1994
Thats the drudgery of the sugar days for you. (Yes, I may have got my years wrong )
One long blur of hoping for the top half.

I remember the Oldham game was rained off first..we didn't find out until we had reached Manchester. So we drove across to Sheffield for a pint and then drove home. Fuck knows how bad the pitch must have been when it was called off. It was terrible when they played. I remember some fat bugger rolling in the goalmouth mud(not Ian walker) when we scored.

The beauty of football, for me, has always been how human it is: from the physical to the emotional. In a world that is becoming increasingly virtual, with robots and other automation taking the tangible and organic aspect out of so much of our lives, it’s something to treasure.

But, we’re bringing the non-human element deeper into our game. From VAR to nerds with stats as their only lense on proceedings, it’s taking away so much of the raw beauty of not just the sport, but the culture too.

I started going to games in 1989/90. Even then, the raw human energy and passion from the pitch to the stands, outside the ground and inside too, as well as the punditry - which was far more interesting and far less sanitised - all helped to give football an edge and an excitement, as well as the type of emotion and feeling that is so hard to find elsewhere.

Modern football is shit by all accounts. Everything has become dull, sanitised, consistent and bland, with more and more value placed on results and excessive analytics. It’s becoming a sport for armchair mathematicians. It’s also become a corporate game for the international super rich, with little legitimate connection between owners and fans.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love Spurs and I’ll still be going to games. But, when the last few decent old grounds - like Goodison - disappear, when the European super leagues take shape and supporters are all choreographed by club-funded happy clapping teddy bears, and competitive games start being played in New York, Beijing and Riyadh, then I’ll probably pack it in as a match going fan.

Frankly, once - if (!) - I see us win the league or the European Cup with my own eyes, I’ll definitely give up the modern game.

CSB etc I know, but just the ramblings of a rapidly ageing lover of proper football.

The beauty of football, for me, has always been how human it is: from the physical to the emotional. In a world that is becoming increasingly virtual, with robots and other automation taking the tangible and organic aspect out of so much of our lives, it’s something to treasure.

But, we’re bringing the non-human element deeper into our game. From VAR to nerds with stats as their only lense on proceedings, it’s taking away so much of the raw beauty of not just the sport, but the culture too.

I started going to games in 1989/90. Even then, the raw human energy and passion from the pitch to the stands, outside the ground and inside too, as well as the punditry - which was far more interesting and far less sanitised - all helped to give football an edge and an excitement, as well as the type of emotion and feeling that is so hard to find elsewhere.

Modern football is shit by all accounts. Everything has become dull, sanitised, consistent and bland, with more and more value placed on results and excessive analytics. It’s becoming a sport for armchair mathematicians. It’s also become a corporate game for the international super rich, with little legitimate connection between owners and fans.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love Spurs and I’ll still be going to games. But, when the last few decent old grounds - like Goodison - disappear, when the European super leagues take shape and supporters are all choreographed by club-funded happy clapping teddy bears, and competitive games start being played in New York, Beijing and Riyadh, then I’ll probably pack it in as a match going fan.

Frankly, once - if (!) - I see us win the league or the European Cup with my own eyes, I’ll definitely give up the modern game.

CSB etc I know, but just the ramblings of a rapidly ageing lover of proper football.
This is why I love going to watch local league.

Even playing Sunday league football reminds me of the human connection and why I really love the game.

It's been snowing round here. I'd have loved to be playing last weekend on the snow. Would have been interesting playing with a white ball in the snow 😂.

That's another thing why do they play with a yellow ball in the winter when there is no snow?

When I get really fed up, I go to a few non league games locally. They always need the money, and it always restarts my enthusiasm after half a dozen games ir so

Thats the drudgery of the sugar days for you. (Yes, I may have got my years wrong )
One long blur of hoping for the top half.

I remember the Oldham game was rained off first..we didn't find out until we had reached Manchester. So we drove across to Sheffield for a pint and then drove home. Fuck knows how bad the pitch must have been when it was called off. It was terrible when they played. I remember some fat bugger rolling in the goalmouth mud(not Ian walker) when we scored.
We had a little blip when we got Klinsmann, Popescu, Dumitrescu in the team and made the FA Cup Semi
But yeah, was pretty bad.

Oddly, those are the days I got into football and started following Spurs. So I have strangely fond memories even during our worst days.

Recall people also having enough when we were on the wrong side of ghost goals that didn't cross the line, or disallowed goals which did cross the line, or the stamp on Parker that should have been red (and would have meant champions league football?), offsides that weren't given despite being a good half a yard off.

It's getting there. There HAS to be a shit period. And we have to be patient and mature through the teething process. Just don't football seriously meanwhile (and even when VAR ks working smoothly too!).

I put £100 aside to go and spend at my non league club a while back. It’s like the price of my ticket at Spurs but means a lot more to the non league guys. Figured it was only equivalent of £10 a week for 10 weeks. Think that was my lockdown 1 thinking!

Had totally forgotten about that till reading this thread!! Lucky I remembered where I put it.

So looking forward to getting back to a game there. Might double that amount now and just put it behind the bar for players and volunteers. Party time!!
I have been thinking about coaching again at non league level and just binning the top level but still undecided about that. Taking a step back from all football for the first time in decades has been refreshing. Think my other half has quite enjoyed actually seeing me at weekends and small projects around the house being completed. .

We had a little blip when we got Klinsmann, Popescu, Dumitrescu in the team and made the FA Cup Semi
But yeah, was pretty bad.

Oddly, those are the days I got into football and started following Spurs. So I have strangely fond memories even during our worst days.
Even then, that season was an outlier for the sugar era.We finished top half of the league.7th. That was a good finish for that era. Now, its "only 7th"

I get why you have fond memories, but fuck, that was a miserable time to be a spurs fan. The man in a raincoat, Christian gross (discount wenger), Sugar being a source of embarrassment every time he opened his mouth in the press. And the club had to pay one of his companies to make use of his services as chairman. So we paid him, and paid for him

Back
Top Bottom