Has anyone else had enough?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not of Spurs but football in general.

It's not even Mourinho's tactic of defending a 1-0 defeat (though it certainly doesn't help), or the soulless experience of empty stadiums.

It's fucking VAR. I really do think it's destroyed the sport. Can't even have the joy of celebrating a goal because you need to wait ten minutes to see if someone grazed another player's elbow during the warm up.
This is so true, and the main problem with VAR.
It needs to be got rid off immediately. In pursuit of accuracy, we've ruined the entertainment aspect.

This is so true, and the main problem with VAR.
It needs to be got rid off immediately. In pursuit of accuracy, we've ruined the entertainment aspect.
The trouble is that VAR (now here) is here to stay. Nobody here has forgotten the quarter finals of the CL at Manchester City and what VAR meant that night, and it’s clear to see that the the current sour grapes on the issue suggests throwing the baby out with the bath water.

VAR is not the problem- it’s a good thing -long needed; the problem is the off-side rulings [not] favouring the attacking side at ludicrously close call decision: like a head, a hand, an elbow, or a foot, being called off-side- it’s pathetic to call these offside!

The trouble is that VAR (now here) is here to stay. Nobody here has forgotten the quarter finals of the CL at Manchester City and what VAR meant that night, and it’s clear to see that the the current sour grapes on the issue suggests throwing the baby out with the bath water.

VAR is not the problem- it’s a good thing -long needed; the problem is the off-side rulings [not] favouring the attacking side at ludicrously close call decision: like a head, a hand, an elbow, or a foot, being called off-side- it’s pathetic to call these offside!
It's fingernails offside at this point.

I agree the application of VAR hasn't been perfect, but it's not that simple.
Let's say we concede, and upon VAR, the lines are drawn, and the attacking player is marginally offside (ie his head is offside). What are VAR officials meant to do at that point? Let the goal stand even though they know it's the wrong decision? We'd all be furious.

VAR is not the problem- it’s a good thing -long needed;
VAR has meant that I, and many others I know, hesitate to celebrate immediately when a goal goes in. That's what makes football special, it's not a sport like basketball where points are being scored all the time, it's about utter euphoria when a goal is scored.

The City CL VAR overturn is one of my favourite sporting moments in recent times; but it's now starting to ruin every single match for me.
The problem is: the standard of officiating is still not great, and TV cameras have many angles and slow-motion. This means that many goals are starting to be correctly overturned (offsides, foul in build up etc.) But this means many fans are rationally weary there's a significant probability that any goal could be overturned.

I agree the application of VAR hasn't been perfect, but it's not that simple.
Let's say we concede, and upon VAR, the lines are drawn, and the attacking player is marginally offside (ie his head is offside). What are VAR officials meant to do at that point? Let the goal stand even though they know it's the wrong decision? We'd all be furious.

VAR has meant that I, and many others I know, hesitate to celebrate immediately when a goal goes in. That's what makes football special, it's not a sport like basketball where points are being scored all the time, it's about utter euphoria when a goal is scored.

The City CL VAR overturn is one of my favourite sporting moments in recent times; but it's now starting to ruin every single match for me.
The problem is: the standard of officiating is still not great, and TV cameras have many angles and slow-motion. This means that many goals are starting to be correctly overturned (offsides, foul in build up etc.) But this means many fans are rationally weary there's a significant probability that any goal could be overturned.

Yes it is as simple as that; if the line is drawn and an attacking players head, hand or foot is off-side its close enough to give the advantage to the attacking side ie it’s tight enough to give onside; a simple rule change!

Extending it to half a bodies width just creates the problem- who says what is half and what’s a third?

Excuse my bluntness but you really are becoming tumbleweey :vdvshh:
That’s not an answer.

My point is even if you change the cut off for offside calls, it’ll just create an identical set of problems.

With your idea, VAR officials who can see that the attacker’s boot is offside, would then have to measure and check whether the margin of offside is above or below your new cut off before overturning it.

It’s not about drawing lines though. Let them view it twice through at half speed. If they can see clearly that the player is offside, he’s offside. Otherwise the goal stands.
The line drawing is just fucking dumb. Who judges the correct second to draw the line and determine someone is offside by a hair? It’s utterly ridiculous, takes too long and you get questionable decisions anyway.
Two views, half speed and make a call.

It’s not about drawing lines though. Let them view it twice through at half speed. If they can see clearly that the player is offside, he’s offside. Otherwise the goal stands.
The line drawing is just fucking dumb. Who judges the correct second to draw the line and determine someone is offside by a hair? It’s utterly ridiculous, takes too long and you get questionable decisions anyway.
Watching these calls twice at half speed would probably take as much time as the majority of VAR offside checks anyway. I could also see one set of fans getting seriously pissed off, as the TV broadcaster would likely show the lines within a minute, and if the VAR ref has got it wrong, fans would be furious.

I don't think saving a little bit of time in the post-goal deliberation period fixes the main issue with VAR I described. Not being able to fully celebrate a goal at the moment it goes in.

I was around in the Sugar era.
I detest Mourinho and have found the football interminably dull, but compared to then this nothing.

I remember getting done 6-1 at home by the chavs with a tore andre flo hat trick.Christian Gross and his magic ticket. John Scales at centre half. Pony kits and Pony football

Christ. We finished 12 points behind Spam that year.
Alcohol and MDMA were my saviour back then.
Helped me get behind the team in very dark days.
People still queued down Park Lane to sell out games though.
We are a tough breed.
:tobyarm:

I've noticed of late, they seem to have started freezing the picture after the ball has been played, which is OK if you are running at the ball like Son against the dippers, but not good if some one times a run perfectly.

As for tge line, it should be taken at tge foot closest to the goal, for both attacker and defender

Back
Top Bottom