Have we fucked up big time?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Smoked Salmon

Finest human being of all time
Well, dust has settled a bit now from the Redknapp sacking. I was thinking about exactly where we find ourselves. Have we started to mess it all up again?

As much as I loathed Redknapp's bullshit, the one thing that's kept on at me over the past few days is, hate him or not, the two fourth spot finishes. Whatever else you may think of him, that still remains. Sure you can say it's just down to good players, but is that really the case? He has to have had some hand in it.

I am now startng to worry about where we find ourselves. Levy says he wants a proper process for appointing a new manager. This, to me, is code for "nobody lined up". I fear that we, being the last of the big clubs to sack and hire, are left to see what bargain basement candidates there are. Is that really the "new direction" Levy (or, if rumours are to be believed, Joe Lewis) had in mind when they gave Harry the boot?

So, no manager - so what of new signings? No signings yet, while the likes of Chelsea, Woolwich and Man U al have several wrapped up. Where is the ambition? Why is Vertonghen dragging on? Where is the supposed big statement that Levy wants to make? Furthermore, if we have no manager ready to come in do we even know why our targets are, or who is leaving? For all the praise that is thrown Levy's way, the season has been over a month now and the clock is ticking.

So no new signings. We are 7 weeks away from the start of the season. That means new signings are unlikely to feature in pre-season. Now, someone might need to remind dear Daniel that we only have one bloody striker at the moment, namely Defoe. Plus Defoe, being a Euro player, will return to training late. So are we even going to have any strikers for pre-season?

Maybe I am worrying too much, but the more I think about it the more the Redknapp sacking comes across more as a knee-jerk one driven more by strong egos and personalities than footballing reasons (which, to me, is the reason Redknapp went now and not at the end of the season) - and in that regard have we just manufactured ourselves one hell of a clusterfuck?

One thing is for sure, come the start of the season Levy will be demanding CL football from our new manager, who will be told to do better than Harry. But are we really doing what is required to even make this a possibility?

It's possible that the 'due process' comment is to hide the fact Levy knew Redknapp was going long before it happened and to cover the fact we've already been looking at replacements.

I didn't think Woolwich, the Chavs or Utd had secured that many signings each...

I agree things could get a bit panicy if Levy doesn't act swiftly, but it could be as soon as this time next week when we announce a new manager and a signing such as Vertonghen. Suddenly things wouldn't look so bad and we can continue moving forward.

Or maybe I'm just the eternal optimist...

In layman's terms; we (Levy) offered him a 3 year deal earlier in the year - which he turned down while England was still a possibility... when it WASN'T, he was suddenly interested...

as far as i'm concerned, he left when the England job came up (mentally, if not literally) The ONLY difference is, Harry DIDN'T get the job, and we're looking for a manager in the Summer, rather than last March... I'm pretty sure Harry would've taken Joe with him... and Kevin Bond would've gone too, by virtue of the fact they wouldn't have been able to remove his tongue from Harry's arsehole in time for the start of the Euros!

...so just imagine where we'd have finished with Tim/Clive/Les as our interim managers!!!!

Whatever happens, happens. People said we fucked up getting rid of Jol, we won a trophy with Ramos and it was great...until we realised he was shit at the league, then Harry arrived and we were flying again. So even if the next manager screws up we can always get someone else...

MKYid said:
I didn't think Woolwich, the Chavs or Utd had secured that many signings each...
They haven't?

http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/premier- ... b_GB1.html

No side in the PL has signed more than two players yet, and the above three teams have brought in five players, total. Of those five, three are from the fast-actin' Bundesliga, with which we're not linked, afaik. Hazard has been ready to move forever, so it's not a surprise he's already landed. And Powell is not going to sniff the starting XI at OT…

We're also in the middle a tournament, which is likely depressing a lot of high-profile transfer movement. We have demanded a high-profile transfer season, but even we can't expect a signing among the Euro players until after the final. Which is, again, on the same day that the window swings open.

In short, like MKYid said, if we bring in Vertonghen, then everything will look rosy again. Though then in five minutes we'll be back to fretting about a striker. But this stuff takes time. Be patient.

1882 said:
In layman's terms; we (Levy) offered him a 3 year deal earlier in the year - which he turned down while England was still a possibility... when it WASN'T, he was suddenly interested...

as far as i'm concerned, he left when the England job came up (mentally, if not literally) The ONLY difference is, Harry DIDN'T get the job, and we're looking for a manager in the Summer, rather than last March... I'm pretty sure Harry would've taken Joe with him... and Kevin Bond would've gone too, by virtue of the fact they wouldn't have been able to remove his tongue from Harry's arsehole in time for the start of the Euros!

...so just imagine where we'd have finished with Tim/Clive/Les as our interim managers!!!!
Yes, I know all the arguments about him refusing to commit earlier in the season but the fact is that England job didn't happen. That left us with a chance to hold onto the manager who got us those top four finishes. Now, if we were a bit pissed off with Harry messing around over the England job then fair enough, but would any other English manager have signed a new contract if they thought they were going to get their dream job? Is Redknapp really that much of a villain for wanting it? I'm not convinced he was.

In fact, what you are saying is, in effect, reinforcing what I suggesting in my first post, namely that the sacking comes about more because of sour grapes than footballing reasons. Is revenge really worth it if it destablises the players, the summer transfer window, the style of play, etc?

I dunno. I just can't shift the bad gut feeling I've got at the moment, no matter have many explanations I try and give myself.

ArtyB said:
Whatever happens, happens. People said we fucked up getting rid of Jol, we won a trophy with Ramos and it was great...until we realised he was shit at the league, then Harry arrived and we were flying again. So even if the next manager screws up we can always get someone else...
....and then someone else....and then someone else after that....and then someone else.....

Fuck me, 20 years already? :levywtf:

Smoked Salmon said:
1882 said:

Yes, I know all the arguments about him refusing to commit earlier in the season but the fact is that England job didn't happen. That left us with a chance to hold onto the manager who got us those top four finishes. Now, if we were a bit pissed off with Harry messing around over the England job then fair enough, but would any other English manager have signed a new contract if they thought they were going to get their dream job? Is Redknapp really that much of a villain for wanting it? I'm not convinced he was.

In fact, what you are saying is, in effect, reinforcing what I suggesting in my first post, namely that the sacking comes about more because of sour grapes than footballing reasons. Is revenge really worth it if it destablises the players, the summer transfer window, the style of play, etc?

I dunno. I just can't shift the bad gut feeling I've got at the moment, no matter have many explanations I try and give myself

Maybe there was more to the Court case than met the eye... just 'cos Harry got off, doesn't mean there's more mess surrounding it... after all, OJ got off with moider! (not quite the same comparison, I realise... but you get ma'drift!)

1882 said:
Smoked Salmon said:
1882 said:

I dunno. I just can't shift the bad gut feeling I've got at the moment, no matter have many explanations I try and give myself

Maybe there was more to the Court case than met the eye... just 'cos Harry got off, doesn't mean there's more mess surrounding it...
after all, OJ got off with moider! (not quite the same comparison, I realise... but you get ma'drift!)

He`d never have got off if Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers were om the case !!

Pie and Mash said:
1882 said:
Maybe there was more to the Court case than met the eye... just 'cos Harry got off, doesn't mean there's more mess surrounding it...
after all, OJ got off with moider! (not quite the same comparison, I realise... but you get ma'drift!)

He`d never have got off if Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers were om the case !!

Exactly... just ask Natalie Wood!!!!!!!

Smoked Salmon said:
ArtyB said:
....and then someone else....and then someone else after that....and then someone else.....

Fuck me, 20 years already? :levywtf:

Yeah, but now and again we get a good one...that's the best any team can hope for. Man Utd lucked out on Fergie but they'll be joining the merry-go-round some day too.

I just wanted Redknapp gone, maybe we've fucked up but I don't care really.

This is what Spurs do, this characterizes us as a club and fans - if we'd let Redknapp continue as if nothing happened we'd have been betraying our collective emotions and intelligence.

I think that's why the press can't stand what's happened to an extent, they wish they were all part of this great group without the fear to make bold decisions just on principle with the chance that it might be the wrong choice - they envy the freedom of thought that makes Spurs great.

The game is about glory, it's not about some twitchy faced cunt who only wants to be here whilst it suits him.....

Pie and Mash said:

Classic programme. So shit it was good. And Stephanie Powers gave me some of my first erections.

frontwheel said:
Pie and Mash said:

Classic programme. So shit it was good. And Stephanie Powers gave me some of my first erections.

...and some of your last?

powers300.png

Bloody hell. What happened? Did she climb up the ugly tree, fall off, hit every branch and land in the ugly pond?

But yeah, still would. Just to say I had.

Back
Top Bottom