Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Conscription anno 2018? :vertna: South Korea need to grow up, at the very least understand that we are trying to achieve great things and need Son.

This is beyond mere national security, we're "fighting for the chance to compete for big things" no less!

23 August 201819:30 UTC+7
Iran
23px-Flag_of_Iran.svg.png
RD4
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea

So they have Iran in last 16. No idea how good they are

Aren't these teams mostly made up of players under23 with the odd over 23 player included as well. Guess it depends on how many of that Iran team were u23 but I agree they looked half decent co pared to what I expected of them

They are, yes.

I don't think any of the Iran U23 team selected for the Asian Games went to the World Cup.

They are, yes.

I don't think any of the Iran U23 team selected for the Asian Games went to the World Cup.

South Korea's tactics just need to be to not defend and get the ball to Son. I don't know anything about the rest of them but with that loss over Malaysia the other day just get it to him for half a chance of something happening.

Gutted to hear that those January games don't give him a way out of military service. I struggle to see why we agreed to let him play in them if that's the case

Gutted to hear that those January games don't give him a way out of military service. I struggle to see why we agreed to let him play in them if that's the case
We have an agreement that he can miss the first two games of the Asian Cup in January in exchange for letting him play in the Asian Games.

We're lucky because we should be obliged to release him for the Asian Cup, same as when players go to the Africa CoN, but didn't have to let him go to the Asian Games this month. Obviously it's in our interests to give him a shot at avoiding military service, so we've struck this deal that hopefully helps us.

We have an agreement that he can miss the first two games of the Asian Cup in January in exchange for letting him play in the Asian Games.

We're lucky because we should be obliged to release him for the Asian Cup, same as when players go to the Africa CoN, but didn't have to let him go to the Asian Games this month. Obviously it's in our interests to give him a shot at avoiding military service, so we've struck this deal that hopefully helps us.

Do you know why the Asian Games count towards his military service & not the Asian cup in Jan? Seems a bit strange that one gold will count but the other won't unless I'm missing something not knowing too much about the both of them

:lamelashock:

:troll:

Do you know why the Asian Games count towards his military service & not the Asian cup in Jan? Seems a bit strange that one gold will count but the other won't unless I'm missing something not knowing too much about the both of them

More national kudos attached to the Asian Games presumably.

It's basically so all athletes across all sports have an equal opportunity, so single sport specific tournaments like the WC aren't included, only the Olympics and Asians Games.

The Korean athletes of other sports were pretty unhappy that the 2002 WC team were let off their military service for their achievements but other teams who have actually won tournaments etc were not.

After that it was decided that only the Olympics and the Asian games would count towards this because it allows athletes from all (or most) sports the same opportunity.

I believe it was baseball that kicked up the biggest fuss, a sport that is taken very seriously in Korea and is probably more popular than Football. If my recollection is right they won an Asian games or world championship but were not rewarded, whereas the Korean football team were told prior to WC2002 that they would be rewarded for simply escaping the group.

More national kudos attached to the Asian Games presumably.

Just had a quick look at the possible fixtures they face for finishing 2nd in their group. They avoid Japan, China & North Korea until the final and have possible games against Palestine, Syria, Vietnam, Uzbekistan up next if they overcome Iran.

Don't know too much about the quality of those teams but is there a possible back door route to the final a-la England 2018 World Cup perhaps? You'd think the ones they'd want to avoid would be Japan, China etc which they seem to have done

Back
Top Bottom