Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son's goals above xG since the start of last season is +8.6
Kane's goals above xG since the start of last season is -2.5,
That's an 11 goal difference. It's not even close.
Fair enough. I'm surprised that Kane would be negative (even if that includes free kicks) but if these figures are accurate (xG is a moving stat that can be calculated in many ways) then that is a huge difference.

Son's also overtaken Kane with the most open play goals for Spurs since the start of last season... And he's done it taking 103 less shots (236 shots for Kane vs 133 for Son). Rate him or not, Son's been our most efficient and clinical goal scorer for quite some time now.

Individual awards and stats dont count 👍

Having a bad season apparantely

Capture.png

Giving away the silly free kick that led to the goal seemed to spur him into life. He like the rest of the team were below average before that moment. 2 good games in a row now where goals and assists aside I'm watching him run more menacingly with the ball again and scaring people which we haven't seen much of from him this season.

Giving away the silly free kick that led to the goal seemed to spur him into life. He like the rest of the team were below average before that moment. 2 good games in a row now where goals and assists aside I'm watching him run more menacingly with the ball again and scaring people which we haven't seen much of from him this season.

The aggression in him that led to the corner that led to our first goal was palpable.

The aggression in him that led to the corner that led to our first goal was palpable.
He swings in a delicious ball now too. It's clearly something that he's worked on because that used to be one of his weak points but now I'd say it's as good if not better currently than his shooting.

I agree that Son has been our most clinical goal scorer but the 'number of shots' stats in my opinion does Kane a disservice. Son has far more 1-on-1 opportunities than Kane, due to Son's pace and often Kane's vision and passing range, meaning that the chance quality of these 133 shots are higher than the 236 Kane has had. That's taking nothing away from Son though, it's great to have both of them in our side.
That is not fair.... Son himself creates that 1-on-1 space so the credit should fairly be given. Plus, most strikers can't even score at the rate Son does even in those situations.

100 shot goal difference is a lot mate no matter what the reason is and Kane wouldn't have those assists if Son wasn't such a clinical finisher.

That is not fair.... Son himself creates that 1-on-1 space so the credit should fairly be given. Plus, most strikers can't even score at the rate Son does even in those situations.

100 shot goal difference is a lot mate no matter what the reason is and Kane wouldn't have those assists if Son wasn't such a clinical finisher.
When Kane scores it’s because of his ability and class alone. When Son scores, it’s because of Kane’s ability and class alone.

When we win without Kane and go to the Champions League final, it’s because of Kane’s ability and class alone.

:mourweird:

When Kane scores it’s because of his ability and class alone. When Son scores, it’s because of Kane’s ability and class alone.

When we win without Kane and go to the Champions League final, it’s because of Kane’s ability and class alone.

:mourweird:

Talk about twisting my words! At no point did I say that in fact:

I agree that Son has been our most clinical goal scorer but the 'number of shots' stats in my opinion does Kane a disservice. Son has far more 1-on-1 opportunities than Kane, due to Son's pace and often Kane's vision and passing range, meaning that the chance quality of these 133 shots are higher than the 236 Kane has had. That's taking nothing away from Son though, it's great to have both of them in our side.

So at no point did I say that Son’s outstanding clinical record was due to “Kane’s ability and class alone.” I just put pointed out that
since the start of last season
Kane has been the main playmaker in the team (under Mourinho and Conte) creating great chances for others and I felt that taking the shots per goal stat on it’s own sounded like it was misleading. Once you provided your xG stats, I conceded your point agreeing
if these figures are accurate (xG is a moving stat that can be calculated in many ways) then that is a huge difference.

At no point have I tried to belittle Son’s achievements or attacked him. Son is class, I just take issue with you taking every opportunity in most threads to downplay Kane

(and I'm no Kane fanboy, my levels of love for him have not recovered since the summer and will not get to that level until, at a minimum, he signs a new deal with us - which may be never)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom