'Highest ever profit by English Club' - Guardian on us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally I think the record breaking profit has come at a good time what with the finances needed for what will be the most expensive club football ground in the UK.

However I do want to see a successful transfer window, in both outgoings and incomings.

They don't need to be top dollar signings, so long as key area's are addressed and it doesn't look like we are fobbing off the manager with wank players he doesn't want / need.
Only thing that I would take issue with here is the fact that our various in-comings only "magically" became players that the managers didn't want or need long after they failed to make the grade. When the transfers went through they were seen as Levy finally backing the manager.

Can't really have it both ways.

Possibly. But with Fazio, it felt like we failed to get that mustache lad, and with Stambouli it was Schneiderlin.
Absolutely true, but then it obviously wasn't like Levy just phoned in the deal and didn't really try to push it through, and left Poch hanging. We clearly went very hard after the both of them, but just neither ended up working out. Not all deals go through, and it really doesn't reflect poorly on Levy that his record for potential transfers isn't 100%.

I just think that most of us severely underestimate the time and difficulty of carrying out these transfers. We get the luxury of just sitting back and saying "hey, Poch wants that guy, so what's the big problem? Why haven't we bought him yet? What is taking so long? Levy clearly isn't backing him..."

My only real beef with these result are what Levy pays himself. Everything fits neatly e.g. 6th Highest revenue, 6th highest Salaries = Ave league position 6th. So why is he joint top highest paid Director not 6th? It would appear he has rewarded himself with a pay rise because of the increase in revenue from TV deals, which actually has nothing to do with him, the club and therefore him are the benefactors of the TV deal.

According to Wiki a Man City supporter. Hmmm...
He is an ex lawyer turned jorno and is one of the best jorno's in the business. He is also one of Citeh's biggest critic's as well as a fan. His book Richer Than God is well worth a read.

A lot of what he writes focusses on the "social impact" of football even more so now the game is awash with money. He has written a couple of times already about our new stadium and the impact on the local business in Tottenham, so I'd expect a few more over the next couple of years.

Basically he is an investigative jorno, one that actually gets off his arse, and looks at the murky world of football finance.

You really have chosen the wrong team mate. What attracted you to Spurs in the first place?
" The Spurs Way "
A legacy of swashbuckling troopaudours .
In the vigor and zeal of Bill Nick , Arthur Rowe , Keith Burkinshaw , El Tel .
2 heroes of Argentina , a flawed Geordie genius, Nice one Cyrill , Jimmy Neighbour,
Alfie Conn , meat hook , ". To do is to dare" not empty words .
Never excepting 2nd best even if we failed.
A father that carried his loving son on his shoulders and stood proud together in the Paxton .
A feeling built on "the game is about glory"
Seeing the North Bank filled with Llillywhites .
Gazza fee kick , Rickys wonder winning goal , Parks save , etc etc etc.

Since you ask .

There's a lot of lazy journalism in that article. Woolwich get a complete breakdown of income but a couple of clubs later everything is conveniently bundled 'commercial activities'. Tends to suggest either they don't know all facts and so are guessing or are reluctant to disclose the exact nature of commercial capital, Etihad 'sponsorship' for instance.
:chadliwtf:

So. We won the profit margin trophy after all then. Is there room in our trophy cabinet to put it.? Maybe we can have an open top bus parade or something

Personally I think the record breaking profit has come at a good time what with the finances needed for what will be the most expensive club football ground in the UK.

However I do want to see a successful transfer window, in both outgoings and incomings.

They don't need to be top dollar signings, so long as key area's are addressed and it doesn't look like we are fobbing off the manager with wank players he doesn't want / need.

Absolutely true, but then it obviously wasn't like Levy just phoned in the deal and didn't really try to push it through, and left Poch hanging. We clearly went very hard after the both of them, but just neither ended up working out. Not all deals go through, and it really doesn't reflect poorly on Levy that his record for potential transfers isn't 100%.

I just think that most of us severely underestimate the time and difficulty of carrying out these transfers. We get the luxury of just sitting back and saying "hey, Poch wants that guy, so what's the big problem? Why haven't we bought him yet? What is taking so long? Levy clearly isn't backing him..."
After hearing how transfers really get done, people have no idea how true this is, for every club.

When you own the club, you get to pick your wages. Right or wrong.
Well he doesn`t really own the club. But yes, otherwise your right. And if he thinks he deserves to earn more than the other 19 league chairman then thats up to him. However, in my opinion, he doesn`t.

Why do I get the feeling even such reasonable expectations will end up still being an impossible dream.

Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever Can you speak the Kings English please and not Eatonian.:myword:
isnt it Queens english pleb pleb
5350_688_800.jpg

I meant where other than football.

Whether you think players are overpaid or not doesn't change the fact that is is the market in which they operate.

In a world where players are paid £100k per week I can't get too upset about the guy running everything earning £40k.
But Levy is the highest earning executive in the market within which our club operates (the Premier League) according to the article that started this thread. Unless he's led us to a bunch of titles I don't remember, he's overpaid even in the absurd world of professional football.

Back
Top Bottom