How far would you go for success

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is you limit for success such as winning the quadruple?

• I am pure, even Joe Lewis and his greed is to much, I don’t really follow Spurs much because of it

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Joe Lewis is about as much as I can go

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • I can live with the Glazers despite them taking £1bn of Uniteds clubs money via what was legal means

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Abramovich is my limit. He is a gangster but not a murdering dictator

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I would take the Abu Dhabi even though I wouldn’t feel comfortable with it

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • I have no limits. If a gay man needed to be thrown off the stadium roof it would be worth it

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
As for the poll, I'd probably be fine up to the Abramovich level.

I don't blame Newcastle fans for being excited. What bothers me are the fans waving KSA flags and dressing up like MBS. You can still support your club and not actively support a murderous regime.
Abramovich? Really? Russian mafia whos taken up citizenship of evil ethnic cleansers israel? As bad as the saudis (or worse)

Whats the alternative?
Stop letting all of the games riches centralize in an ever smaller number of clubs. You don't have to turn the game into a meaningless, antiseptic NFL to accomplish that.

What you DO need is power in the hands of people for whom a better game is in their interests. That power was flashed in the ESL debacle, time to push on.
So yeah, the ESL was shitty and was going to kill football. But 21st century football is really already shitty and dead, we just like to con ourselves into thinking the opposite.
I dunno man, I quite like 21st century football. I think a spirit of preservation is in order.

I dunno man, I quite like 21st century football. I think a spirit of preservation is in order.
There have never been 2 decades across Europe when fewer clubs have claimed the spoils of football. Its bossed by some of the most corrupt organizations in the world. Everything is about commercialization, all staged for broadcasting revenue.

Its odd to me that you can manage to claim to like that.

Last edited:
Levy tried to make us elite, earn us 300M a year and rub shoulders with City and Juve.

Our fanbase demanded he retract the plans and quit.
Suddenly we wanted morals.

Now we wish our owners had so much money that 15 PL teams will be stuck in a purgatory of playing for “security” and the odd EL conference run while we mix it with the others who can stockpile the players who should be playing every week somewhere else in a genuinely competitive league.

We’ve lost touch. We want a prime Kane on the pitch and one on the bench.

Honestly, under Jol, the excitement about going somewhere was massive, and we’re talk European Tours to Zagreb etc in the UEFA.
The Lane had THE best atmosphere in the PL.
Redknapp had us mixing it, but we still felt like outsiders, a bit of shock, Hutton and Crouch in the CL, and Arry destroying Woolwich, Chelsea, City, Liverpool at Anfield, Inter and Milan.

But alas…..how dare we get humped by Real away with ten men.
Crouch out, Arry Out, OUT OUT OUT!!!!

We’re elite now. Massive club, next level, and hope and fun had turned to entitlement and anger over night.

Apart from Pochs first few seasons and the knock out stages of the CL final year, 6 of the last 9 years have been absolutely fucking shit.

I’d rather go back to 2006 than continue on this path.

Last edited:
Not giving any opinion on the ESL or Saudis here, But would the Saudis have bought Newcastle if the Super League went ahead? Doubtful imo.

Not giving any opinion on the ESL or Saudis here, But would the Saudis have bought Newcastle if the Super League went ahead? Doubtful imo.
It was right, I think, that the ESL didn't go ahead. But where has the outrage been for this takeover? I'm a bit gutted as a Spurs fan, because we're being knocked down the league another slot... But the indignation that there was for the ESL has been completely non-existent for this takeover... well, not quite, but nearly....

It was right, I think, that the ESL didn't go ahead. But where has the outrage been for this takeover? I'm a bit gutted as a Spurs fan, because we're being knocked down the league another slot... But the indignation that there was for the ESL has been completely non-existent for this takeover... well, not quite, but nearly....

It’s actually a lot worse than the ESL which I was against. You have a. Club owned by owners that are among the worst regimes on the planet. How can the premier league or FA say homophobia and sexism are bad now, they have zero leg to stand on.

By the way, who says the fans of these clubs have to be the simplistic rubes they are counted upon being?

Newcastle fans should rejoice in the well-deserved, long overdue investment in their club’s on-field product and unfurl a “Justice For Jamal Khashoggi” banner at games anyway. I don’t think there’s any hypocrisy in that at all.

As a matter of fact the message would probably mean more coming from them than anybody else.
Can any of them write?

It’s actually a lot worse than the ESL which I was against. You have a. Club owned by owners that are among the worst regimes on the planet. How can the premier league or FA say homophobia and sexism are bad now, they have zero leg to stand on.
It's a bit messy, because you can also say that Abramovich is a gangster and Abu Dhabi have similar problems to Saudi... So we've already accepted similarly questionable owners. However, the question of scale is relevant here. Saudi is far worse than both of these in terms of human rights abuses and moral problems. The money involved also seems to be off the scale. If we're just to consider money, shouldn't there be some rules? I mean we have rules against monopolies don't we? And in this case Newcastle will be able to buy Manchester City several times over if they wish. How is that fair?

Votes for Abramovic. Yes, he's shady and whatever, but he's better than these Qatar and Saudi leaders. He actually cares about success of his football club, not like he's doing it just for political stuff.

Although, I would support Spurs even if Arabians take over. I would rather not, but it's my club and huge part of my life.

Selling them weapons is somewhat different from letting them rule your local council.

We also don't just sell them weapons, we have human beings who go and adivse them on their military operations that involve killing lots and lots of civilians. So how much does it really mean to people when they'd go out and vote for a Conservative government "but oh please don't buy a football club here."

We all choose hypocrisies to live with, it's just funny that things to do with football make people go "this is too far!"

I thought the question meant how far wouldn’t I go personally ; I had a discussion with my son about this and he said he’d go so far as having his right arm hacked off if we could dominate like Utd did back then. I thought that was going too far and said I would offer up a testical to the football gods for a couple or three league titles and two CLs before I die. I’d rather that than be taken over by some scum torturing bastards.

Some will go...

limbo belt GIF

Some...

Trisha Hershberger Choices GIF by The Dungeon Run

A few...

iu

Most, somewhere in between.

Back
Top Bottom