Hudd let off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tom Huddlestone red card for Tottenham rescinded by FA

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Huddlestone's red card against Norwich has been rescinded after a successful appeal to the FA.

Substitute Huddlestone was sent off by referee Mark Halsey for a 90th minute tackle on Jonny Howson in Saturday's 1-1 home Premier League draw.

Spurs contested the red card and the FA has withdrawn his three-match ban.

Huddlestone, 25, has suffered with ankle problems and was making his first appearance for more than a year.

He is now available for the London club's next match at Reading on 16 September.

Something goes our way at last

In fairness, he didn't play last season (2 games?) and wasn't used much in pre-season (as I understand it he was thought to be loaned to an MLS side) so I'm sure he is going to be well off the pace for a while!

By the way, when Howard Webb punches the ball over the line to secure a 2-1 win for United in the 14th minute of 4 minutes stoppage time at OT, having given them a game-tying penalty 10 minutes previously because Vertonghen sneezed near the box, this will be given as an example as us getting our fair share of lucky decisions.

He got the ball when you look at the tackle from above, so this is a good overturn.

He also just played his first 90mins in a while apparently.

MKYid said:
In fairness, he didn't play last season (2 games?) and wasn't used much in pre-season (as I understand it he was thought to be loaned to an MLS side) so I'm sure he is going to be well off the pace for a while!

Yep. People need to be patient. Huddlestone will not be himself for a few months. Does anyone here follow the Bundesliga? Jurgen Klopp played Sebastian Kehl right away for Borussia Dortmund after he came back from a full year off. He was very poor for almost half the year and downright embarrassing in Champions League, but he got his form back around the winter break and is now a linchpin of their side again. It will take Huddlestone a lot of time, but he will come back.

kevinmccauley said:
MKYid said:

Yep. People need to be patient. Huddlestone will not be himself for a few months. Does anyone here follow the Bundesliga? Jurgen Klopp played Sebastian Kehl right away for Borussia Dortmund after he came back from a full year off. He was very poor for almost half the year and downright embarrassing in Champions League, but he got his form back around the winter break and is now a linchpin of their side again. It will take Huddlestone a lot of time, but he will come back.

I agree with this, but equally it's imperative that the side gets sorted out around him before we start making him a locked-in first teamer again. If we're firing on all cylinders then the rest of the squad should be able to carry him until he's top notch again. Think we threw him in at too difficult a time the other day when the whole game plan was going to shit, hence why his shortcomings were more exposed and he got muddled up in a pointless challenge.

kevinmccauley said:
MKYid said:

It will take a few months until we have an idea of what Hudd is even capable of anymore. We have not seen enough of him post-injury to understand how his ankle will affect him long term, especially in light of the comments he made about it being something he'd always have to manage. For a big man already with his mobility issues, I worry about him ever recovering his previous form, to say nothing of exceeding it.

Which makes me sad. We sometimes compared Modric to Xavi, but I have always thought Huddlestone was more similar in playing style. Now that you've finished laughing: yes Hudd is several levels below Xavi in terms of overall quality to say nothing of mobility and pressing ability. But like Xavi, when Hudd is at his best, he is constantly circulating the ball quickly, and his technique is good enough that he can often do so accurately and with one touch using either foot. More importantly, without the ball, Hudd looks around, re-evaluating his surroundings, noticing the players marking him, and his own passing options, and adjusts and re-adjusts his position accordingly so he can be free to receive a pass.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... -interview
Think quickly, look for spaces. That's what I do: look for spaces. All day. I'm always looking. All day, all day. [Xavi starts gesturing as if he is looking around, swinging his head]. Here? No. There? No. People who haven't played don't always realise how hard that is. Space, space, space. It's like being on the PlayStation. I think shit, the defender's here, play it there. I see the space and pass. That's what I do.

Back
Top Bottom