Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As an amateur goalie myself I find the criticism of Lloris a bit much. It's a position where any slight mistake or lack of concentration leads a goal. Lloris is probably the best goalkeeper we can get/have for a team our size. Look around, how goalkeepers in the world are truly better?

Lloris has been like a reborn goalie and I take back any criticism I made of him before. He plays like a captain now, and inspires the team. His penalty goalkeeping is the best in the divison.

The commentators banging on about his parry was massively OTT in my opinion, it was a good save and the ball is obviously going to go to his right, he needs a defender to cover. Can't exactly parry it for a throw in, can he?

Confirms the team was affected by both Summer and Jan transfer activity.

Confirms that he thinks he has benefited from his injury lay off (playing constantly without a brake - PL then World Cup then straight into League again without any break).

Seems to me (esp. when he's talking about what the CL took out of us) that GLC, Ndombele & Sess not hitting the ground running really held us back early doors too. We could have REALLY done with a boost from the new blood.

Seems to me (esp. when he's talking about what the CL took out of us) that GLC, Ndombele & Sess not hitting the ground running really held us back early doors too. We could have REALLY done with a boost from the new blood.
Yeah, possibly. My take, or at least what my brain was telling me when O was listening to him, was more to do with the players that we transfer listed and never got sold. There presence still at the training ground after the window shut and how that affected the dynamic. Need to probably rewatch it to see if this was his take or yours. Probably both.

Yeah, possibly. My take, or at least what my brain was telling me when O was listening to him, was more to do with the players that we transfer listed and never got sold. There presence still at the training ground after the window shut and how that affected the dynamic. Need to probably rewatch it to see if this was his take or yours. Probably both.

Oh absolutely, that's what he was referring to (note his comments emphasising "...and January too")....

I just think it stands to reason that a 'new blood boost' would have helped everybody (including Poch) kick on.

Last edited:
Oh absolutely, that's what he was revering to (note his comments emphasising "...and January too")....

I just think it stands to reason that a 'new blood boost' would have helped everybody (including Poch) kick on.
I think it's clear there has been a change in Levy since Mourinho took over. There's no doubt Levy saw Poch as a soft touch. Rather than get rid of a troublemaker to Watford for £14million, Levy tried to get £25million for him. Rather than let a player determined to go, go, for a decent fee, Levy saw Hazard to Madrid and thought, yep I can do that to.

The whole Eriksen transfer window scenario in July/August was fucking crazy. He seemed key to everything, money from his sale or new contract. It actually seemed as though Spurs revolved around Christian Eriksen.

Amazing numbers, it's so easy to remember the mistakes but we are lucky to have Hugo.
Damn lucky to be fair, but those mistake against top 6 sides are criminal, I mean these are the teams and results that can decide a season....However, under Jose I can only see a drastically improved Lloris on the mistake count, and hopefully given a good run under Jose’s methods we could have one of the best keepers in the world on our hands, which is the level where Lloris should be......
I can’t wait to see it....

Damn lucky to be fair, but those mistake against top 6 sides are criminal, I mean these are the teams and results that can decide a season....However, under Jose I can only see a drastically improved Lloris on the mistake count, and hopefully given a good run under Jose’s methods we could have one of the best keepers in the world on our hands, which is the level where Lloris should be......
Sadly, I seriously doubt it. I think we'll see a good shot stopper making more and more silly mistakes. I had so much hope we could have snatched Nubel from Schalke, but alas that didn't happen. We really need to be on the look out for someone new.

That's the problem with Hugo, very rarely can you see a player do something so brilliant and follow it up with something really poor. The recent example where he let Ings get 4 yards out while he stood grimly against the post reminded me of 5 a side where the striker who is scared of getting hit by the ball is forced into his turn in nets.

Amazing numbers, it's so easy to remember the mistakes but we are lucky to have Hugo.
EVERY 'keeper makes mistakes, it's whether the oppo score from them that create the narrative. I watch Eddison and Alisson every fucking week fuck up, but the oppo never scores from it. So if an oppo attacker is shit and misses an open goal as a consequence of the error, the error was still made. Both of these 'keepers make more errors than Lloris.

The fact that Jose doesn’t ask his keepers to fanny around with the ball will surely help Lloris reduce the errors. They are always going to happen though because he is a proactive keeper.

“Steadier” keepers like De Gea don’t make those kinds of mistakes but that’s because they prefer to stay on their line and wait for the shot, they might not make “errors” that way but you can see from the numbers that they end up conceding more goals with that style.

Back
Top Bottom