i swear half of woolwich's fanbase comes from outside the UK

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Scottwallace15

ScottSpurs
I don't mind foreigners supporting English teams, that's good, for example spurs has a good following in US but holy crap Woolwich is taken to a new level, i don't see many English woolwich fans anymore, they're literally all from countries with weird names or from africa, like there's a limit to how big a following abroad you would like and Woolwich has gone over that limit, not meaining to offend any spurs fans from out of this country, i like people supporting premier league clubs from other countries, just not as much as woolwich:king:

I don't mind foreigners supporting English teams, that's good, for example spurs has a good following in US but holy crap Woolwich is taken to a new level, i don't see many English woolwich fans anymore, they're literally all from countries with weird names or from africa, like there's a limit to how big a following abroad you would like and Woolwich has gone over that limit, not meaining to offend any spurs fans from out of this country, i like people supporting premier league clubs from other countries, just not as much as woolwich:king:

I dunno it depends if you class "under a rock till May" as a foreign country

Didn't they field a lot more black players at a time when lots of clubs didn't so much? When I was younger they were by far the best supported team among black kids I knew. But that doesn't seem to be the case any more.

I'm sure that the Wanderers' owners look forward to the day when half of their support comes from outside the UK (if not already). There's a lot of money to be made by expanding the supporter base.

Nor do I think they're alone in this. I'm sure Tottenham would love to have a few million devoted fans in the Far East, which would probably mean that at least 50% of our support would be from abroad :)

As for Africa, another consideration is the Wanderers' French connection via Wenger. And that influence stretches into West Africa.

It started when Wenger was buying the black French/African players... pretty much before anyone else in Europe was really doing so.

It was a good added side effect that it boosted fans in these parts of the world.

Looking at our pre-season tours and a few of our signings it could be argued that we tried the same in South Africa, and the far east. But given our pre-season tour last year, Levy wanting more US supporters clubs (which given the better NBC coverage out there from next season is a good shout) we are trying to tap in to this market.

Personally I would be trying to get us to tour China left right and centre... pretty much untapped market and there are billions of them to potentially sell T-Shirts to... and in the next few years the average Joe will be able to afford it

It started when Wenger was buying the black French/African players... pretty much before anyone else in Europe was really doing so.

It was a good added side effect that it boosted fans in these parts of the world.

Looking at our pre-season tours and a few of our signings it could be argued that we tried the same in South Africa, and the far east. But given our pre-season tour last year, Levy wanting more US supporters clubs (which given the better NBC coverage out there from next season is a good shout) we are trying to tap in to this market.

Personally I would be trying to get us to tour China left right and centre... pretty much untapped market and there are billions of them to potentially sell T-Shirts to... and in the next few years the average Joe will be able to afford it

Yup, doesn't Wenger own or part own Football academies in West Africa? I'm sure I read something about that once.

a lot of scum fans in korea too
they apparently like them because they have a cannon on their badge

we should change our crest to a cockerel on a fuckin missile or something

Not much more point touring China than the US, really. 1.x billion people to try and sell T-shirts to, who will then buy the knock-off/factory 'excess' shirts instead.
Plus, while far fewer people are in poverty now, disposable income just isn't that high. For a luxury product like foreign football, the US makes more sense, at least for now.

Not much more point touring China than the US, really. 1.x billion people to try and sell T-shirts to, who will then buy the knock-off/factory 'excess' shirts instead.
Plus, while far fewer people are in poverty now, disposable income just isn't that high. For a luxury product like foreign football, the US makes more sense, at least for now.

i went to china a few years back and i saw so much fake/knock-off football shirts everywhere lol

Nonsense mate, bigger international fanbase = more money, simple really. Indonesia a country of 200 million and there's a shitload of Woolwich fans there.

I think this right, and it probably helped that the team with Viera etc went on to be quite successful and would therefore appear on lots of tv screens around the world. Things do seem to be changing though. The kids you see wearing the knock off shirts were wearing mostly ManU and Woolwich a few years ago, but now seem to favour Real Madrid and Barcalona with few Chelsea.

From my experience I'd say they are becoming or may already be the most popular team in America. Football began to increase in popularity due to cable televison covereage and the releative improvement of the US National team right around the time Woolwich was actually winning things. Glory hunters flocked to them naturally and they were quick to organize fan groups etc.

As they continue to under achieve I see more and more sudden Chelsea fans and Spurs have started to gain a foothold here for many reasons, but sadly ifeel like the Woolwich contingent here is pretty set in at this point.

From my experience I'd say they are becoming or may already be the most popular team in America. Football began to increase in popularity due to cable televison covereage and the releative improvement of the US National team right around the time Woolwich was actually winning things. Glory hunters flocked to them naturally and they were quick to organize fan groups etc.

As they continue to under achieve I see more and more sudden Chelsea fans and Spurs have started to gain a foothold here for many reasons, but sadly ifeel like the Woolwich contingent here is pretty set in at this point.

FFS even Gale Anne Hurd (Producer of The Terminator movies, Aliens, Hurt Locker etc.) is a gooner, her twitter handle is @GunnerGale :myword:

Well, the Terminator connection makes sense.
A soulless corporate machine with a record for dishonest practices ("Is Wolfie OK?"). The perfect match for the Terminator.

From my experience I'd say they are becoming or may already be the most popular team in America.
I follow a lot of US sports journalists on my non-@eperons twitter, and on days like Sunday, I know not to check, because I'm reminded how nearly every one of them is a goon.

If I had to guess, they were lured in by the sexy French sophistication of Henry and Wenger, and stuck around because the hypermasculine name/logo serves a compensatory function. Now that the gunners are whatever, one of the most lucid football writers in the US (and obnoxious, self-pitying goon) chides ppl who pay attn to the PL as "fratboys", suggesting there's better football to be watched elsewhere, where the dream of sexy continental flair remains something worth striving for.

I can't wait until we've got the sexy continental thing going on, just to see the goons have to reevaluate.

Isn't it easier for Americans to support Woolwich as they don't have to remember where it actually is as it's not a real place?! :dempsey:
I love you all really :bae:

Back
Top Bottom