I want Guardiola, just saying

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im going to back Kalyl a little.

Barca are pretentious in my honest opinion. They would rather lose a game than go long with 5 minutes remaining. They have no plan b and when a stubborn defence shuts them out, they go on repeat for an hour.....sit on the edge of the oppo's 18yrd box.....tap it frantically back and forth 16 times when one through ball would probably lead to a goal....and maybe try a fancy looped lob over the defence.

When that fails, they do it again....and again....and again.

They have immense talent, and can be breathtaking, but they can also make 35 passes with the oppo just sitting there watching them, when one pass would do. It can be tedious to watch.

Be honest, look how Chelsea hit them on the break with direct through balls, instead of trying to walk it into the goal all the time.

Barca think they are above doing what it takes to win, ie a speculative shot from distance, or a cross into the danger zone....yet they are not above diving and falling about like little girls funnily enough.

The best team ever ever, ever ever?

Well the team 7pts clear of them might have something to say about that.

Best team of the last 20 years I'd say, definitely the best team since the Milan team of the early 90s.

It's easy to slate them once they've lost a few games, why should they abandon their principles? Why should they resort to long ball just to win a game?

I've been on their backs since, oh I first watched this outfit of barca... they dive like no one else, and instead of making a killer pass early on to put a game to bed or just get the upper hand, they'd rather pass it sideways and keep the ball for a few mins and maybe not get anything out of it... they are a great side, no question about that. When teams try to come at them they will pick you off like no other team in the world can.

However, if they can't do that and have to start from the back, they'd rather pass it around for 10 min instead of being a little more direct and unleash the bags of attacking threat they have. I mean, rather have a few less % of possession and a lead against the teams who sit deep than be stuck playing sideways at 0-0. and no, it's not just cause they've lost a few games, I've said this for a long long time, just not on here

Thelonious said:
Best team of the last 20 years I'd say, definitely the best team since the Milan team of the early 90s.

It's easy to slate them once they've lost a few games, why should they abandon their principles? Why should they resort to long ball just to win a game?

I think that to be considered the best, you have to be able to adapt, and overcome situations that dont agree with your principles.

It might not be pretty, but going long is a legitimate part of football. Far more so than diving in the box.

A team that can see that a game plan is not working, and change to overcome it, and win ugly is a truely great team. Not just on the eye. Imagine Barca with bollox....THAT would be awesome.

Messi was shut out, yet they couldnt bring on a target man to cause Chelsea problems because thats not pure enough or whatever. Well, to be honest, if someone like Drogba was on Barca's bench, theyd have had a great option to change the game, and probably win it.

The only problem with them the other night was that they where playing with a low tempo which allowed chelski to get behind the ball every time.
Do think they need another striker, missed David Villa massively.

sammyspurs said:
Thelonious said:

I think that to be considered the best, you have to be able to adapt, and overcome situations that dont agree with your principles.

It might not be pretty, but going long is a legitimate part of football. Far more so than diving in the box.

A team that can see that a game plan is not working, and change to overcome it, and win ugly is a truely great team. Not just on the eye. Imagine Barca with bollox....THAT would be awesome.

Messi was shut out, yet they couldnt bring on a target man to cause Chelsea problems because thats not puer enough or whatever. Well, to be honest, if someone like Drogba was on Barca's bench, theyd have had a great option to change the game, and probably win it.
Of course you have to adapt, but they've revolutionised (apols for hyperbole) the game. In that you don't need huge battering rams up front, you can be the very best without having to compromise.

It's all gone a bit tits up for them this season, happens to all great teams. They are a great team because at their peak, they beat the best. Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man U all fell by the wayside, obviously it's caught up with them now but to dismiss them as boring and one-dimensional is a tad excessive.

Dru said:
I literally am facepalming myself but everyone is entitled to their own opinions

But why is it strange?

No one is saying they are not a fabulous side. But imagine if they had a Paul Ince, or Roy Keane....or the option of a Drogba?

I could understand the synicism if they were pissing La Liga and on for the CL....but they are'nt are they? They are being found out, and have no scope to deal with it. As pretty as they are, they have become less effective, and thats what counts.

Chelsea had 27% possession, but who's in the final?

I am not saying I wouldnt want Pep to manage Spurs, but Kalyl has a point imo.

Thelonious said:
but to dismiss them as boring and one-dimensional is a tad excessive.

They are not boring per se....but it can get tedious imo, and I also think they are fairly one dimensional. They have wonderfully creative players, who can create magic.....but tactically, its a one way street.

sammyspurs said:
Thelonious said:
but to dismiss them as boring and one-dimensional is a tad excessive.

They are not boring per se....but it can get tedious imo, and I also think they are fairly one dimensional. They have wonderfully creative players, who can create magic.....but tactically, its a one way street.
As mentioned above, they miss Villa. In previous years, they had Henry and Ibrahimovic who were fit throughout the season. It's no coincidence they're finding life difficult.

I don't think they've necessarily been "found out".

sammyspurs said:
Dru said:
I literally am facepalming myself but everyone is entitled to their own opinions

But why is it strange?

No one is saying they are not a fabulous side. But imagine if they had a Paul Ince, or Roy Keane....or the option of a Drogba?

I could understand the synicism if they were pissing La Liga and on for the CL....but they are'nt are they? They are being found out, and have no scope to deal with it. As pretty as they are, they have become less effective, and thats what counts.

Chelsea had 27% possession, but who's in the final?

I am not saying I wouldnt want Pep to manage Spurs, but Kalyl has a point imo.

There are just loads of contradictions in the above statements...

"No direct goal threat" - only 97 goals scored so far.
"anyone with a half decent defence can 'deal with them" So nobody but Chelsea have a half decent defence?
"they have the odd moment of complete brilliance" - just the odd moment? really?
"They would rather lose a game than go long with 5 minutes remaining." - rediculous
"35 passes with the oppo just sitting there watching them, when one pass would do" - the point is to keep posession
"they are not above diving and falling about like little girls funnily enough." did you watch the Europa game last night? Diving all over the shop, they all do it in Spain, its not "a Barca thing" and they are not "the best at doing it"

Thelonious said:

Bollocks.

Barcelona are a fantastic side, principles are to be valued. I love watching them play but understand the frustration, I wonder, is it a British thing? We love fast paced football (not that we are completely without appreciation for the finer elements).

I'm imagining Clive 'I'm the biggest cunt in the entire solar system' Tyldsley commetating 'Messi, to Xavi, clipped pass to Iniesta on the left who shits on to his right foot, left foot....beautiful cross and there's Rasiak to nod home from close range....'

Dru said:
There are just loads of contradictions in the above statements...

"No direct goal threat" - only 97 goals scored so far.
"anyone with a half decent defence can 'deal with them" So nobody but Chelsea have a half decent defence?
"they have the odd moment of complete brilliance" - just the odd moment? really?

"They would rather lose a game than go long with 5 minutes remaining." - rediculous
"35 passes with the oppo just sitting there watching them, when one pass would do" - the point is to keep posession
"they are not above diving and falling about like little girls funnily enough." did you watch the Europa game last night? Diving all over the shop, they all do it in Spain, its not "a Barca thing" and they are not "the best at doing it"

I said Kalyl had a point, not that I agreed with everything he said, so the bolded parts are nothing to do with my point.
The other statements I made, so I'll address those.

Why is that ridiculous? Did you see them resort to route one in order to try and score? They did nothing differently. They didnt even try a new approach, so that suggests thay would rather not score at all, than try to score a goal outside their principles? No?

The point is to score goals too. Like I said in another post, Chelsea had 27% possession, yet scored as many goals, and are the final. What point did Barca's 73% possession gain them? Sympathy and adoration? Goals win trophy's, not plaudits.

I never said only Barca do it. I raised that point because people ask why should they abandon their principles in order to win. Well the way I see it is that if they are not above diving to win a penalty, then they shouldnt be above the odd long ball pumped into the box.
You are either purists, or you are not. You are too good to hoof, but not too good to dive? Like I said, its pretentious.

No one has said Barca are rubbish. We both acknowledge their fantastic ability, but are just not in blind awe of them. And that stance is backed up by their position in the hunt for trophies this season.

They're missing a striker, one of the best in the world in fact. This probably has more to do with their lack of trophies this season.......

Thelonious said:
They're missing a striker, one of the best in the world in fact. This probably has more to do with their lack of trophies this season.......

One man team?

That will never wash in Barcas case. There is way too much talent and experience for such a poor excuse.

sammyspurs said:
Thelonious said:

One man team?

That will never wash in Barcas case. There is way too much talent and experience for such a poor excuse.
No mate, but it does affect enforcing any plan B.

sammyspurs said:
Barca are pretentious in my honest opinion. They would rather lose a game than go long with 5 minutes remaining. They have no plan b and when a stubborn defence shuts them out, they go on repeat for an hour.....sit on the edge of the oppo's 18yrd box.....tap it frantically back and forth 16 times when one through ball would probably lead to a goal....and maybe try a fancy looped lob over the defence.

When that fails, they do it again....and again....and again.

That sounds like us! Except we sit on the half way line.

Back
Top Bottom