Ian Broomfield - looks like levy got him back

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sounds about right, sporadic scattergun moves to upset another team . That's obviously part of his great 5 year plan .

Well, people are allowed to resign from their posts you know! ;) He went to QPR with Harry, and I suspect he probably did because they likely paid him more.

True, the article says we've offered him a lucrative contract, presumably more than Woolwich offered - and more than he was on a QPR. Wouldn't we have matched QPR's original offer to him if we thought so highly of him?

True, the article says we've offered him a lucrative contract, presumably more than Woolwich offered - and more than he was on a QPR. Wouldn't we have matched QPR's original offer to him if we thought so highly of him?
Maybe Levy seems him going to Woolwich as a competitive threat, but never thought QPR posed any problem. Who knows?

Another insightful read regarding Broomfield's significance and departure:
(If TL;DR ... just read the bolded)

Levy moves to put right the ยฃ100 failure

While Spurs were bottling it on the pitch again with yet another gutless capitulation with ten men Daniel Levy was showing them how to be a winner.

It has been reported all week how Woolwich had signed former Tottenham scouting supremo Ian Broomfield, until the beginning of March chief scout at Queens Park Rangers with another former Tottenham man Harry Redknapp. It was Redkapp who first brought him to Spurs in 2009.

The national press reported on March 1st he was leaving to join Woolwich and had resigned his position at QPR.

โ€œThe opportunity to work for Arsene Wenger at one of Europeโ€™s top clubs, like Woolwich, was too good to turn down,โ€ Broomfield was quoted as saying. I appreciated my time at QPR with Harry, but this is an exciting challenge which Iโ€™m looking forward to.โ€

Knowing the talent of the talent spotter Daniel Levy did not want to see a scout of his quality end up at Woolwich.

Levy has contacted Broomfield and discovered that no contract had actually been signed only a verbal agreement so Levy has persuaded him to return to the Tottenham fold instead. Having enjoyed a good working relationship with Levy previously Broomfield agreed and has put pen to paper to rejoin Spurs and scupper Woolwich's plans.

He has previously been the Chief Analyser at Leeds United (who then made it to the Champions League semi-finals) and Aston Villa, on both occasions working wor David O'Leary. He then went to Portsmouth with Harry Redknapp before they both came to Spurs.

Broomfield left his Chief Scout role at Spurs after Andre Villas-Boas took over. The pair had a falling out when they disagreed over player signings and AVB had him removed.

A former player, his career was ruined by injury and he spent 30 years solving murder cases for the Criminal Investigation Department and scouting in his spare time.

He was responsible for the signing of Dimitar berbatov, Luka Modric, Gareth Bale, Vertonghen, Sigurdsson, Dembele, Lloris and Sandro.

He advised the re-signing of Kaboul and recommended the purchase of Luis Suarez. also scouted and recommended the purchases of Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton. The list of talent we have missed out on is Broomfield list, AVB's players are not in the same class.

Ian Broomfield is widely regarded as an exceptional talent spotter and Spurs are lucky to have the right man back at The Lane to head the search for players. If Broomfield had been at the club we would not have wasted ยฃ100 million on mediocrity.

Daniel Levy has gone back to the man he trusts to upgrade our signings once more.

I can't believe people slate Baldini, would you look at a list of some of the players he's signed in the past. The players we've signed aren't shit, they just need some proper direction.
It's been suggested that Baldini isn't the best at spotting players, but rather he excels at using contacts and getting deals done. This is in contrast to the returning Broomfield, who is said to have a great eye for a player, but not the contacts. So I think I'd rather like Baldini to stay on as I think both could complement each other.

It's been suggested that Baldini isn't the best at spotting players, but rather he excels at using contacts and getting deals done. This is in contrast to the returning Broomfield, who is said to have a great eye for a player, but not the contacts. So I think I'd rather like Baldini to stay on as I think both could complement each other.

This is my understanding. Regardless of the manager situation come summer, this is a more promising-looking situation going into some important decision-making.

Agree with this as I would also hope that the more "football people" to run the club the better, basically keeping Levy focused on NON-football related business.
But for me I would love to understand the full scope of Baldini's role as DOF, it appears that it currently it seems to be just transfers but my understanding of a DOF is taking the responsibility for all things Football, recruiting key management personnel from first team down to the school boys @ 8/9yrs old, but most importantly owning and communicating the very football philosophy and identity of our style of play. Aside from transfers the rest of football stuff appears to be in utter turmoil. Deeply concerned that Sherwood publicly comes out and lays claim to Baldini's job, it doesn't get worse than that especially given the fact that Baldini is his bossโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..or is he???????????

Back
Top Bottom