If you could fix either the money or the strategy what would you choose?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What do you want to fix?

• Fine with it as it is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We should at least be able to run the Dortmund model. Levy appears to have no idea how to find a decent progressive coach though. I feel genuinely sad we didn't hire Ten Hag or Potter instead of Conte. Hopefully it's just me not knowing the coaching pool right now, but it feels like it's a total wasteland bereft of obvious choices.

Not sexy enough for Levy. Ever since Pochettino dragged this club up to being CL regulars and to a CL final, Levy has fancied himself as the chairman of an elite club. Conte & Jose are coups, big names he can feel smug about.

Plus they'd want/need structure in place, not just mega bucks.

Has to be strategy.

We condemn them for how they bought up clubs to get into the game. But if I was Daniel I would look to recruit people from within the Red Bull group to come in and retool the entire football operation.

We have the money to be at the very least competitive. We just need to be smarter with how it is used.

Strategy but I'd assume we would still spend a shit load more than Brighton as the 9th richest club in the world ... but having a coherent football vision is more important to me than sticking with this structure but throwing money around.

Our resources + Brighton's competency and we'd be in with a good shot of winning trophies, we'd enjoy watching us play, and would feel optimistic about the future..

City have money plus strategy
Liverpool at their peak invested heavily with strategy
Woolwich have invested heavily in key players with strategy, they just happen to have benefitted from good timing in youth maturing to an excellent level in addition
Chelsea at their peak had money plus strategy

Outside of England even teams like athletic Madrid have surprisingly achieved sucess by consistently spending large sums on key players (transfer fees plus wages)

That's the aspiration

Without money, brighton remain brighton and will not be winning the league

He's not saying we'd have Brighton's money. We'd have our money but Brighton's structure. Or we can have loads of money but the same structure ... those are the choices. You can't have both in the poll or it would be a no brainer.

Essentially the question is which do you consider more important, the money or the structure?

I would have said the money but our record for big spending is pretty appalling, and we can't just shrug off expensive mistakes. And the amounts bandied about these days for even average players is mind boggling. You can thank Abranovich for hyperinflation in the modern game, But TBF, if it hadn't been him, someone else would have started it.
Our priorities are not the football team. Yes, our stadium is world class, but what's the point of having the best house on the block if the furniture is from MFI?
Suppose I'm just frustrated on how we're performing at the moment, it's making me dread match day, but still hope that it's the next game we're going to turn it around.

Why would we have to keep Joe Lewis if we changed strategy?
He’s the worst owner in Sports. Even more responsible than Levy. He sets Levy’s performance targets of profits.

In reality what we need is a change in money and stratetgy. Something like the Michael Edwards model at Liverpool. Where they hit on their big targets and were able to buy players they needed from the top end of their short list but also did it within a realistic budget.
Point is Levy has built the club with a high revenue platform to be self funding - so we could maintain their zero investment plan (with them as owners) and still make massive improvements to strategy. Both ideally but strategy alone (removing Levy as CEO) will see improvements if executed well via say a Paul Barber or Wdwards

Last edited:
Money isn't the problem, it's how it's spent.

We've spent more money than the Dippers since Klopp joined them.

It's the strategy that needs changing.

I have notice the criticisms of the board centre around two key issues, money and strategy. Makes me wonder then what most fans consider to be the key problem. Is it simply we don’t spend enough and therefore we can fix most issues just by pumping money or could with really top level planning we do essentially what Brighton and Woolwich are doing. I appreciate the problems of the club have elements of both.

If you could spend like Chelsea but have Levy remain in charge of the strategy or be run like Brighton but be stuck with Joe’s tight cheque book what would you go for. Personally I think strategy is the key as Woolwich are currently showing but I would also imagine there are some fans would love us to buy the elite players like City.

There's no fucking way I'm voting to keep Levy or Lewis and I definitely ain't fine as it is

I'll abstain.

Strategy....... I'd like to think it would have us above "Brighton level" though.

(I don't think everybody is gonna be entirely honest with their answers here, however.......)

Strategy all day long. We haven't spent enough for my liking but when we do spend big (by our standards) we have a huge failure rate. In fact I'd say out of our 10 biggest purchases 6 haven't worked out at all, 1 was a cult hero who divided opinion (Lamela), 1 had a single semi decent season (Sissoko), 2 are yet to be judged (Romero, Richarlison)

All transfers are risks, but when we do push the boat out we get it wrong more often than not. Coupled with managers who wildly vary in style it adds up to a bin fire.

Say we operated like Brighton but with our budget and we got a 70% success rate instead of a 60% failure rate who knows where we would be now?

What’s the question here?

In FFP terms we have a budget that dwarfs all other teams

Yet the fans pay the highest prices and are urged to be patient

We have the money but the only strategy is business

When you talk strategy it also includes a complete revolution of anyone involved in the football side.

- Our youth set up is a disaster

- I have no idea if we have data analysts. I suspect we still buy based on agent recommendations (which is a small pool as Levy is hated by many)

- Medical team clueless

- DOF role clearly been handed back to Levy hence the fruitless chasing of Trossard and Porro. Stinks of the bald dwarfs negotiation style

- overall short and medium term plan to transform the entire first team to a certain style of football, including coach and stick with it

Strategy. Levy should have done a lot better with the resources at his disposal. Not knowing when to sell certain players is going to haunt him (and us).

Can we have an option for stay as is but add a compulsory 500% pay rise each year for Daniel which has to be funded by the fans

Back
Top Bottom