I'm calling it now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We'll finish 4th this year but fail to qualify for the champions league as England only have three teams in it next year.

Isnt it the season after at the earliest we can lose our spot. Didn't know we could lose our spot next season.

Yeh would be fucking typical if we lost that spot and got 4th. Personally I think we should then have a play off. Top 2 get CL, 3-6 go into Play off games, would make great drama at the end of season.

Isnt it the season after at the earliest we can lose our spot. Didn't know we could lose our spot next season.

Yeh would be fucking typical if we lost that spot and got 4th. Personally I think we should then have a play off. Top 2 get CL, 3-6 go into Play off games, would make great drama at the end of season.

First year that happens we'll finish third then lose to Swansea in the final. We'll complain about the injustice and we'll finish 6th the following season after the playoffs are scrapped.

First year that happens we'll finish third then lose to Swansea in the final. We'll complain about the injustice and we'll finish 6th the following season after the playoffs are scrapped.

& then get banned from all European competitions for 7 years for playing a team that shouldn't even be in the English Premier League

I don't think you quite understand how the coefficient system works - it's calculated on the Association's performance over the past 5 seasons

UEFA coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia combined
The current season's results do play a part though. The really big issue is that the results from 5 years ago were quite good, and they are due to drop out of the score at the end of the season. Also, two English teams are already out of Europe so the remaining teams have to overperform to bring up the average, whereas Italy has less teams overall but also has a greater percentage of them still playing in Europe.

Doesn't help that teams like West Ham and Soton probably don't care what happens to the 4th CL spot and are focusing on their domestic campaigns.

The current season's results do play a part though. The really big issue is that the results from 5 years ago were quite good, and they are due to drop out of the score at the end of the season. Also, two English teams are already out of Europe so the remaining teams have to overperform to bring up the average, whereas Italy has less teams overall but also has a greater percentage of them still playing in Europe.

Doesn't help that teams like West Ham and Soton probably don't care what happens to the 4th CL spot and are focusing on their domestic campaigns.
Have you seen Italy's score (England's closest competitor)?

Have you seen Italy's score (England's closest competitor)?
I was quoting you not because I disagreed with what you were saying, just wanted to expand on it. I have seen the score and yes it's very close.

Member associations - UEFA rankings - Country coefficients – UEFA.com

England is going to lose the 15.250 score they posted in 11/12 while Italy will have their 11.357 score wiped out. When you look at the 19 points Italy had last year it's alarming. This year is going to be crucial, and the fact that England only have 6/8 teams left while Italy has 5/6 is going to play a huge part, because whatever points English teams gain (which they aren't even doing right now!) with the 6 teams they have left will be divided by 8.

edit: Sorry the 15.250 and 11.357 scores will be wiped out next season. I thought the chart went back 6 years at first glance.

Member associations - UEFA rankings - Country coefficients – UEFA.com

This one shows the scores that England stand to lose. It looks even worse.

Last edited:
But Spurs are going to win the Europa League, thus boosting the Premier League's co-efficient.

Now on a bit of a tangent, does anyone know what would happen were a club to win the Europa League and qualify for the CL through their domestic league position. This would mean there would be an extra CL spot up for grabs. Who would get it? The league or the other EL finalist?

But Spurs are going to win the Europa League, thus boosting the Premier League's co-efficient.

Now on a bit of a tangent, does anyone know what would happen were a club to win the Europa League and qualify for the CL through their domestic league position. This would mean there would be an extra CL spot up for grabs. Who would get it? The league or the other EL finalist?

I poised this question last season, and I believe that the answer I got was that the other finalist team would get the spot and that it wouldn't go to the league.

I poised this question last season, and I believe that the answer I got was that the other finalist team would get the spot and that it wouldn't go to the league.

Cheers. Hadn't seen that.

Does anyone know what happens in the unlikely event both finalists have qualified for the Champions League through their domestic league positions?

Back
Top Bottom