In your lifetime-Will Tottenham win the EPL...?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I came to the conclusion that i will never see us win the league,after the Venables/Sugar fall out( i genuinely believed we were building a squad capable of challenging for things up until then).
Nothing that happened for the next 20 years really changed that.However.....
I am more confident now than i thought possible a few years back.Still not convinced, but live in hope

I came to the conclusion that i will never see us win the league,after the Venables/Sugar fall out( i genuinely believed we were building a squad capable of challenging for things up until then).
I am more confident now than i thought possible a few years back.Still not convinced, but live in hope

Great post, agree entirely.

I still say we are title contenders. I love saying that and love the fact that I believe that's the case. I've never said that in my entire life supporting the club, despite seeing us finish 3rd a small handful of times, it never felt back then that we were challenges, where it does now.

Our chances are slimmer than Utd, Citeh or Chavs for obvious financial reasons (even if a billion pounds dropped into our bank account we would still be behind those close who's financial muscle goes back many years) but to be in the conversation as contenders is a buzz for me and I'm loving it. It feels so different than pinning our hopes on a Cup to look credible, there is no disputing how good we are, the league doesn't lie.

For me this season it's not about winning the league but retaining our CL spot for next season, if we can do that with the prospect of moving into the new stadium existing and potential players should be excited. If we drop out of the top four it's going to be a testing time. I believe this season with be the most difficult one to date as other teams have heavily invested and pundits will be expecting stuff from us. Luckily a few other teams aren't flying at the moment, Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich have all struggled. Man City are doing well and Manu are scraping through but haven't really played anyone of note yet.

What keeps me positive is the fact Victor, Rose and Lamella are yet to come back, in a month we could be shaping up a very different way with lots more options on the bench. The new boys will take another few weeks to settle in.
i agree. I'm not concerned at all at the moment. We are less than a month into the season and the majority are melting over a couple poor results. we're still 5th in the league after this "poor start" we've had. Only City and United are flying at the moment but everyone is going to drop points. We're always slow starters anyway, we'll come good. We always do. COYS

I still say we are title contenders. I love saying that and love the fact that I believe that's the case. I've never said that in my entire life supporting the club, despite seeing us finish 3rd a small handful of times, it never felt back then that we were challenges, where it does now.

Our chances are slimmer than Utd, Citeh or Chavs for obvious financial reasons (even if a billion pounds dropped into our bank account we would still be behind those close who's financial muscle goes back many years) but to be in the conversation as contenders is a buzz for me and I'm loving it. It feels so different than pinning our hopes on a Cup to look credible, there is no disputing how good we are, the league doesn't lie.
Agreed mate.
Just being mentioned as possible champions in feb/march the past two seasons is something i thought i'd never see.
onwards and upwards :)

No, I don't think I will.
I think if we would have had no Europe last or the season before we could have.
Don't think we will get those chances again.
Wages will increase, look at PSG to see City.
I fear the only team that will be able to compete with them is Man U.
Even with a 60k stadium we will not be able to attract or keep our best players unless we win a title.
We will have to make do with buying prospects that if they come good will leave for better wages and a shot at trophies.
Not just us either.
Until we win a title or a European cup we will also not get the exposure worldwide.
It's getting harder and harder.
Winning and sky favouritism has ensured some clubs have the worldwide commercial income. Sky wants to sell its product. Big named/priced players sell. Big name managers sell.

Look at the teams who have won the PL.
25 seasons Man U 13, Chelsea 5, Woolwich 3, City 2 and then Blackburn- who bought it- and the anomaly that was Leicester.
It's not going to change. I predict City will get stronger, Woolwich will fade and Man U and Chelsea stay at the same level.
If it was all down to capicity then Chelsea wouldn't have won anyhting, neither would Man City.
It would be Man U, then Woolwich.

Ps, hope I'm wrong.
Yet I'm sure if we would have had a squad with quality in depth to match Man U, City or Chelsea we would have won the title 2 years on the trot. Europe or no Europe.

Last edited:
I'm 22 so I hope so! I've already watch Porto win like 15 league titles, 2 Europa leagues, 1 champions league!!!! And even the world title. Portugal also won the euros last season, our first major title ever. So please Tottenham, let me see us win something. I support the club since 2010. Not even a Mickey Mouse cup :(

Depends on how long you've got left to live!!
Anyone born from 1962-mid '70s must be shitting themselves... myself included!

All you post '70s/ late '80s+ youngsters out there have got plenty of time for it to happen.

The rest of us might not be so lucky!

Depends on how long you've got left to live!!
Anyone born from 1962-mid '70s must be shitting themselves... myself included!

All you post '70s/ late '80s+ youngsters out there have got plenty of time for it to happen.

The rest of us might not be so lucky!

That's the funny thing.

When you think 30 years to win a title it's plenty of time but when you think that's 30 attempts, suddenly it seems tight!

Well I am old enough (just) to remember actually winning the top division in 61 and there have been some years since then when we were in with a shout. However some years ago I came to conclusion that I would not see us win the league again or England win the World Cup again. Whilst we have done well these last 2 years, I have still kept to the same opinion but there is a glimmer of hope now whilst 10 years ago there was no hope.

Sure, maybe. And I know you're being sarcastic, but...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they keep most of what was great at WHL? Aren't the fans still going to be extremely close to the action, unlike at Wembley? Didn't they specially design the acoustics with the crowd in mind?
Yes, they have. But you still can't avoid the fact that it's a huge and cavernous place compared with WHL. It simply won't be the same and some of the Wembley drawback will carry over.

As long as Levy/ENIC are here, I don't see it happening. They have done a lot of good for the club, but pushing us to the next level takes a risk, requiring investment in world class game changing players and unfortunately I don't see it happening.

The season to win the league wasn't last year or the year before, even though we came close and had a freak Leicester winning to stop us, the season that got away was Redknapp's last season. And that signifies how ENIC have handled the transfer business at Spurs. We were flying in the league and were the best team till the beginning of January. If we had signed some decent players, we would have had a proper shot, but got Nelsen and Saha on a free. And I can't see us holding on to our current crop of players for much long, but at least we are having fun for now and should continue to do so for a while.

Salmon is the pinnacle every fan should aspire to be.

Slagging off those that don't or can't go, while calling life long season ticket holders "cancer" because they dont happy clap shit football
More lies and misrepresentation. I said moaners are a cancer. I never said anything about whether or not they were ST holders....and given that you have spent the weekend slagging off ST holders for not wanting to go to Milton fucking Keynes while you refuse to spend a penny to go, you're hardly one to talk.

It's mind games anyway. I think it's his way of making teams think we'll just stroll around in the cup games.
Nah, not for me. He will rotate heavily tomorrow just as he and for that matter all managers from all clubs no matter what the club is and what division they are in. I believe most if not all the clubs that played in the previous round rotated. Poch will want us to win, he will set out the team to win, he will expect the team selected to go out and compete for the win, it will just not be our best team. No mind games.

I am personally loving the commitment and openness of wanting to win the PL and stating this is our intention. He has never deviated from this line since his very first interview he stated this as his intention and fuck me he's got us closer than we have ever been in decades.

Back
Top Bottom