Interesting article re: Livermore

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://thisisfutbol.com/2012/04/blo...rodigy-lead-them-to-champions-league-football

It’s clear Spurs need a change. Many believed the balance of power in North London had shifted, until a 5-2 victory for Woolwich at the Emirates sent Spurs sliding. They’ve only dropped one place in the league, but since the North London derby they’ve lost to United, Everton and Norwich, along with draws against Stoke, Chelsea and Sunderland. Perhaps it’s just a momentary blip, perhaps they were not as good as they were believed to be. Maybe it’s time they turn to a young player to revitalise the side, I believe I know exactly who it should be.
Jake Livermore has made 29 apperances for Spurs this season and has impressed many, myself included. The youngster became adored by the fans in July 2009, after playing and scoring against Barcelona in a pre-season game. When asked by a reported what it feels like to score against the best club in the world, re responded that he played for the best side in the world. Certainly one way to get youself noticed early on, comments that remind me of Emmanuel Frimpong at Woolwich.

The young midfielder has been on six loan spells since emerging through the clubs academy. Aged 22, I believe the time is now for him to be trusted with more starting roles. Of course, 29 appearances this season is fantasic and 17 in the Premier League is also good but I still feel he is not getting enough playing time. He’s well devloped, the Spurs academy and his loan spells have done well to see him progress as a footballer but it is now time for him to take the next step up. He’s ready and with the current situation at Tottenham, he could provide a huge boost.
He doesn’t just bring his footballing skill to the field, that’s not why he deserves a shot. Spurs have many midfielders that can do that but Livermore brings something else, something that when mixed with natural skill becomes a dangerous concoction. He’s a Spurs fan, he’s grown through the club and his comments show that he holds the club close to his heart. That means he will bring passion to the pitch every time he takes to the field, the determination to succeed and see the club rise. Who better to try and catch Woolwich than a fan, someone who knows the rivalry and thrives upon it, wanting to finish above them for the first time in years.
He was just 5 last time Spurs sat above Woolwich in the table. I don’t know if he remembers it, but he would certainly aim to be part of the side that does it again. You may argue other players have passion for the club too, but not to this extent. Plus, I’ll mention one name that suggests otherwise. Modric. Livermore can be a huge contribution to Tottenham has they chase down Woolwich, with such few games remaining and the points difference being what it is, why not take a risk? Let me rephrase that, Livermore is not a risk. He will be a big player for Tottenham and could show his worth in the final run in.

I was very quick to write off Livermore.

The lad is really starting to grow on me.

Would probably rather we started him than Sandro, albeit highly dependent on the opposition in fairness.

He has come from nowhere really hasn't he this year, I can't believe any Spurs fan had much hope for him pre-season, and now he looks like an accomplished (if a bit ordinary) holding midfielder. My worry is he might catch the Sandro curse and his progress completely stalls through lack of game time, granted Sandro's was mostly through injury.
Good point though he is Spurs through and through, when he can pull a facial expression like this :parker: i think he will be ready.

I hope any new manager coming in will give him a chance next season.

I want the best for my club, but I also want some of these kids with talent to be given a fair go, or they just never have the chance to learn and step up. Of course if they aren't good enough it doesn't matter who the manager is, but it would be a shame if we sign a new midfielder and he slips further down the pecking order and end up in the lower leagues when he could have been a premiership player, for Spurs.

Its been discussed before but we have a core of emerging talent, most of which are out on loan to Premiership or Championship teams, that could be with the club for a number of years if they can step up in the next season or two.

I wonder if we would sell sandro for a healthy profit in the summer and rely of Livermore/Huddlestone as back up?

I love the comment about him playing for the best team in the world.

He has the heart but is he good enough to be a regular starter in our team? Happy with him as a squad player for sure.

Forget what match it was but the fact that recently he got stuck in traffic on route so ran a mile to the ground to be ready for a game speaks volumes. Might not pull up trees but he rarely makes mistakes and his performance against Everton (the game in hand) was nothing short of imperious.

Deserves chances and could and probably should be a long term fixture for us

I was with you until the long term fixture part, not sure we can rely on him for an extended period but does admirably when he starts occasionally.

Thelonious said:
I was with you until the long term fixture part, not sure we can rely on him for an extended period but does admirably when he starts occasionally.

29 games this season without any glaring mistakes in only his first season in the first team. Only going to get better with age and if he carries on playing without making mistakes I honestly can't see any reason to get rid. I'm not saying the midfield should be built around him but he's certainly worthy enough to be part of the 25.

bensonrecon said:
Thelonious said:

29 games this season without any glaring mistakes in only his first season in the first team. Only going to get better with age and if he carries on playing without making mistakes I honestly can't see any reason to get rid. I'm not saying the midfield should be built around him but he's certainly worthy enough to be part of the 25.
Glad we're on the same page. :)

He's not started 29 games though, he's definitely one to keep and will fill in brilliantly. His passing has improved massively but can make grave errors at times. The only pass against Everton to miss the mark almost led to a goal. That aside, he seems to have his head screwed on and hopefully he can be a Spurs player for a few years yet.

New Jamie O'Hara?

Always puts in the effort despite not being as technically gifted as the others. Was also not convinced by him in some earlier games (probably because we got spanked in the opening 2 games where I believe he started in both), but he's had some great games this season. Also that pass for Defoe in the Norwich game was beautiful.

You've obviously driven memories of those first two games from your mind mate! Understandable lol... He played the first half at Old Trafford and did well. It was when he'd gone off we conceded three goals. Then against City, we played Modric and Niko in the middle, and we got battered. Livermore came on later in the game and did well.

I was a drunken mess in Valencia for the opener against City so luckily missed that one (remember my dad having a pop at young Jake when I got home) and went to OT so also put that out of my mind :harryfacepalm:

I also realise I should fact-check for 10 seconds before posting but I really cannot be bothered with the hassle so you'll all have to live with my idiocy and wrong assumptions!

I'm not so sure about Livermore, seems a bit off the pace sometimes. Happy to be proved wrong, but i don't reckon he's ever going to be a first choice at Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom