Is a league cup final worth it?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I already obviously answered no but to flush it out this is the concern when you keep a bad manager/coach around too long they can fluke their way into a win like this or a few more wins than expected and then you are stuck with them.

I fear that winning the Cup even if by getting dominated by City the whole game will be enough for Levy to keep Jose around no matter what happens in the league/other competitions.

It is also why even though I think that bringing in a caretake manager until the end of the year is the best thing, we need to be clear that they are here until the end of the season and no more, even if they win the final.

The worst things that can happen to a club is that they extend a bad coach because they are fooled by one result or a short term run when they were just filling in.

Fire Jose now, bring in a caretaker for rest of the season, let that guy go and hire a proper manager in the summer.

Winning a Cup is winning a Cup.... it's a nice thing to do, and something to celebrate.
But the Cup isn't the league (that's why they are separate competitions!!)

Win the Cup, and you've won a cup... it has no bearing on the League, or race for 4th... or anything else... it's a Cup, a Trophy that's there to be won.
There are only two teams that can win the League Cup this season... and we're one of them.

That'll do for now, eh? Until Cup Final day!

Let's focus on Sunday, and what we can do to address this shocking league form of ours first!

Ironically, I'm glad the Final isn't this month... 'cos we're shocking right now... at least April gives us a few months to sort ourselves out!

Hold on, you don't even get a Europa place for winning it???
You do get a Europa place for winning it, if one of the Top 5 in the League win the FA Cup though.

Top 4 goes Champions League

5th and FA Cup go to Europa League (which is much more slimmed down Champions League lite competition from next year - would go straight to a 32 team group stage. 8 group winners go straight to last 16, 8 group runners-up play 8 CL Group 3rd place teams for spot in Last 16)

League Cup winner goes to newly created Europa Conference League (which will have feel of current Europa League based on amount of games, but a lot worse from competition point of view. Only one team from each of the better countries, more from the weaker ones)

However, if FA Cup is won by a team finishing Top 5, League Cup winners go to Europa League, 6th goes to new ECL competition, If both League Cup and FA Cup won by Top 5 teams, 6th will be in Europa, 7th in ECL

Last edited:
It is not an either/or with no match until April. It maybe the week before the final when he has to decide if he wants to rest players. That will depend on the situation then.
Can we win the final anyway. Not playing as we are now or if we have injury problems. As an old supporter I can tell you when we won cups in the past our League form did suffer but there was also spells like this in the season when we were poor. We have had it good for several years until 2 years ago. We always knew that Eriksen made us tick and Dembele was a massive influence. When Dembele went and Eriksen declined we have never been the same since.

It's a messy question and there's a lot of other alternatives around it.

Will I be happy if we lose the cup final and finish 8th? Of course not. If we win the cup final, finish 6th or 7th and at least secure Europa for next season? Yes that'd be good enough. Doubt it'll keep Kane and/or Son at the club though.

I still have a nagging feeling we may somehow stumble and shithouse our way to the Europa League trophy this season too.

It's a messy question and there's a lot of other alternatives around it.

Will I be happy if we lose the cup final and finish 8th? Of course not. If we win the cup final, finish 6th or 7th and at least secure Europa for next season? Yes that'd be good enough. Doubt it'll keep Kane and/or Son at the club though.

I still have a nagging feeling we may somehow stumble and shithouse our way to the Europa League trophy this season too.
I think the point I was getting at is a season of shite boring to watch football worth it if we end up winning the Carabaro cup, but nothing else , is winning a cup so important to us, now I know beggars can’t be choosers and we haven’t won fuck all in years , but In this season of all seasons we are unlikely to even get an away day out of getting to the final and will have to make do with watching it on tv! For me I don’t think it’s worth it , I won’t be happy if we carry on this poor form till the end of the season , finish outside the top 4 and end up with no CL again next season .

Back
Top Bottom