Is Heung Min-Son a Spurs ''Legend''?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Heung Min-Son a Legend?

• Total voters
''Legend'' is a word bandied around too often and too willingly.

You have your cult legends like Steffen Freund and Erik Lamela. You have your bonafide legends like Jimmy Greaves and Ledley King.

I'm talking about the latter.

He recently passed 200 appearances, which I believe is a minimum for such status.

But, it's more to do with who he is. How he plays. How he conducts himself as a person. Whilst Harry Kane was whingeing all summer about moving and trophies, Sonny was signing a new contract.

He is willing to lead us out of the depths rather than abandon ship.

I'm sure this question will be moot in 5 years, but right now, he is dragging us up with him. Is Kane the false idol and Sonny the one all along?

He’s the Korean King 🤴🏻

In all seriousness, it might be a bit too soon to call him a ‘legend’ but I think he will be one day. His application and commitment to the club will always be treasured by us, he’s proper Spurs 💙

Nah, don't think so.

Certainly an iconic player for us now and one fans will remember, but you do feel a trophy is needed, or if that doesn't happen you need to establish some scoring records or be at the club for a good while longer.

He's the main man at the club right now though, absolutely currently has taken that mantle from Kane and become the fan favourite. He's just such a fecking nice guy that you can't help but love him.

He’s the Korean King 🤴🏻

In all seriousness, it might be a bit too soon to call him a ‘legend’ but I think he will be one day. His application and commitment to the club will always be treasured by us, he’s proper Spurs 💙
This is my issue...

...why can't we call our legends, legends at the time. Is it only once they are gone we consider it?

For me, him signing a new contract during our lowest point is a testament to who he is.

He epitomises Spurs.

I think he's great both as a player and as a person, but as with every other "is x a legend" discussion it depends more on how you interpret the word legend.

For example he's still about 80 appearances behind Aaron Lennon who also won a trophy with us and i'm not sure everyone would call Lennon a spurs legend. Not saying Lennon was a better player than Son, obviously.

If Bale is a club legend, then Son absolutely is. He has 41 more Spurs goals than Bale and basically every single season he’s had has eclipsed Bale‘s seasons in goals except for Bale’s 2012/2013.

Also likely to pass Keane and Sheringham and maybe Gilzean this year and enter the top 10 for all time Spurs goals this season, assuming he keeps his normal goal pace. Doubly impressive considering he only has 3 penalty goals for Spurs as well, almost all from open play.

He’s also only 29, in great shape, and no signs of slowing down. He could very easily be a top 5 Spurs goal scorer of all time if he plays out his contract.

Last edited:
I don't think so unless we are lowering our definition of what a legend is to fit more players in.

That is not meant to be an insult to Son or a black mark on him, I just think the term legend should be a rare thing and for me Son doesn't meet that level.

He still has time and maybe that will change for me, but not now.

If Bale is a club legend, then Son absolutely is. He has 41 more Spurs goals than Bale and basically every single season he’s had has eclipsed Bale‘s seasons in goals except for Bale’s 2012/2013.

Also likely to pass Keane and Sheringham and maybe Gilzean this year and enter the top 10 for all time Spurs goals this season, assuming he keeps his normal goal pace. Doubly impressive considering he only has 3 penalty goals for Spurs as well, almost all from open play.

He’s also only 29, in great shape, and no signs of slowing down. He could very easily be a top 5 Spurs goal scorer of all time if he plays out his contract.
Bale is not a club legend. Went on strike as soon as he had 1 great season. Cult legend among the welsh contingent maybe. Kane, Vertonghen, Dembele, Lloris, Son have given their best years to us. I'd consider them bigger club legends than Bale.

For me, 'legend' gets thrown around a bit too easily.

Bill Nicholson, Danny Blanchflower, Jimmy Greaves, Glenn Hoddle, Steve Perryman, these are the type of people who are Spurs legends, in my opinion. Son is great, but I don't think he quite belongs with this company at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom